Storck F0.6 - Best of Storck! New Pics on pg 5

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Discoverspeed

by Discoverspeed

Upcoming upgrades:

1. Internal battery
2. Pair of Storck matched very special wheels to be launched soon
3. Garmin Vector power measuring pedals (if it ever comes out)
4. Di2 11 spd (should be later part of year)

Should make a dream rig
Last edited by Discoverspeed on Tue May 29, 2012 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current Bikes: S-Works Venge 7.3kg
Storck F.3 5.5kg
Colnago Concept Art Deco CHDK 7/6.5kg
Collection: Team Ti Raleigh 753 Vintage Campy
Ex: Storck F0.6 Di2 6kg, Storck F0.7IS Di2 4.8kg, Storck Aero2 7.04kg Storck Organic Light 11.1kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

I love how the rear brake cable is run and how clean it looks but I honestly hate how the front is run. I wish they could figure out a cleaner way to run that cable on the front because if they did, I could buy that fork in a second. I really do not like it hanging out the side like that.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

konky

by konky

Battery conversion is a must with the 0.6. When my new frame arrives, in a week I'm told, the UK distritutor Poshbikes will do the job. I did notice you had the long battery mount on your 0.6. The short one does look neater and is lighter but overall the battery and mount just has to go.

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but the truth is the 0.6 is the most striking (in a subtle way) and perfect looking bike on the effing planet. Part of that beauty is in the pared down simplicity with the hidden brakes. The battery just fights that simplicity.

What colour are the Madfiber brake pads?

Actually, in my view, the front brake cable looks OK in the flesh. I was a bit worried about it till I saw it on my build.

BmanX

by BmanX

Well if you look at how clean the rear is conpared to the front, it does look out of place a bit.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

Fantastic bike! Just don't like the wheels much. :-)

As for the hidden Di2 battery, just wait for the new Di2. There will be an option to have the battery in the seat post.

konky

by konky

That doesn't surprise me. The currant arrangement is so wrong. It looks so old fashioned and generally duff. Any idea on timescale Mario Jr?

jooo

by jooo

The cable down the steerer and hidden noodle on the Cannondale Slice fork looks pretty good to me. It put's the cable at a tighter radius than the THM set up though:

Discoverspeed

by Discoverspeed

Thanks guys for the comments.

@ jooo and BmanX - I share the same sentiment as you on the fork. If there is any "weak" point in this super clean build, the fork may be it. I mean if the F0.6 was any other bike, the Scapula F fork would have been quite an upgrade - eliminating brake calipers for better aerodynamics and weight savings. However as the F0.6 is just so clean after the front fork and handlebar section (especially the rear section which is even more stunning in the flesh), the side cable entry at the front fork does seem out of place.

As the above photo shows, there are effectively only 3 cables in the wind profile - the two derailleur wires and the front brake cable. I tucked the Di2 controller box under the stem and that has reduced the 4th cable's wind visibility. My upcoming internal seat post battery modification will also reduce any remaining rear wire and battery housing that sort of spoils the super clean look that is potentially possible with the F0.6.

I sure hope that some fork manufacturer (same goes for stem and handlebar manufacturers) will come up with solutions to hide the unsightly front cables. Jooo's picture on the Cannondale Slice is exactly what is needed - a front aero extension cowling for the fork that covers the headtube, shades the brakes and has space to accommodate the cables. However, this would necessary have to be developed together with the frame builder as the headtube has to be redesigned. Maybe Shimano's upcoming DA/Di2 9000 aero caliper brakes will be an in between solution for the front end? Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) that would mean I would have to swap the Scapula F for something like Storck's own UMS Stiletto: Light - lighter and more responsive.
Last edited by Discoverspeed on Wed May 30, 2012 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Storck F.3 5.5kg
Ex: Storck F0.6 Di2 6kg, Storck F0.7IS Di2 4.8kg, Storck Aero2 7.04kg Storck Organic Light 11.1kg

Discoverspeed

by Discoverspeed

@ konky, you are right, the ride is exceptional. Very smooth and direct power transfer. It is also much more stunning in the flesh. I think you will like the new stealth black finish. BTW, the Madfiber brake pads are light brown cork color.

I was initially hesitant about the internal battery until I saw the final build. It is just so clean from the steering back that you just have to get the internal battery solution to do justice to the F0.6.

@ Mario Jr. - I didn't hear anything about seat battery for the new Di2 - just that there is probably a smaller "race size" version for the battery. Is the internal battery confirmed? I believe ETA is October 2012, so probably end of the year before it trickles down to the shops.

Also, on the MF wheels, apart from the looks which is subjective, they actually ride very well. Fast deep rims at 60/67mm depth, 1085g. Good specs translated to climbing and gap bridging ability. In any case, I am waiting for the new pair of special wheels from Storck - hopefully compatible with the new Di2 11 spd spec. These new wheels look very good with the F0.6.
Storck F.3 5.5kg

theletterk

by theletterk

absolutely beautiful bike. Love it!

please go slower along coastal road so that we can see it (that is we have the chance)!!!

BmanX

by BmanX

Please do not get me wrong as the build is simply amazing. I just think for such attention to detail and how they were able to hide the rear so well that maybe just maybe a bit more attention to detail on the front would have been a little better because this is where the clean air hits the bike and they have this noodle sticking right out in the wind. I know it is not an aero bike but it bugs me and I say that because I so want this fork in the worst way but I can't because of this one little issue that I have.

I will be getting two of the Tririg Omega brakes for my SLC in hopes of cleaning up the front end cables and when it is all said and done there will be almost no cables visible when I take pics like you have. But again my frame is an aero frame and there should be no cable visible on such a build.

I think we are at a point now where bikes will be more integrated like this and things will be so much cleaner looking and the rear end of the F0.6 is such a huge step forward. Now only if they cleaned up the cable runs at the front of the bike.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Big :thumbup:

Also the Power Arms SL has to be the slickest crankset out there.

About the rear brake cable, while certainly very nice, I've been wondering if it would be possible to run a custom slotted seatpost with the cable running through it, and have the cable exit in the rear of the seat tube, like with ISPs.

For the front cable, hmm, Storck is making their own forks, shouldn't they be able to run the cable down the inside of the steerer tube?

Discoverspeed

by Discoverspeed

Running the brake cables through the steerer tube and seat tube is not so easy as stem stack height and saddle height are different for individuals. So where does the manufacturer pre-drill the holes (assuming that it is as easy as drilling some holes to allow the cables to pass)?

The rear system of the F0.6 is already very good. In the flesh it is incredibly clean and neat. You really have to see the F0.6 yourself - it is "butt naked". As can be seen in the pictures posted, the rear brake cables are shielded well from the wind. In any case, the air flow behind the thighs is quite "dirty" and I believe that the side cable exit into the brake will not add any significant drag.

As for the fork, there are nuts and bolts within the steerer tube that obstruct the clear passage of the brake cable. A fork that "internalizes" the front cable therefore has to have an external cowling/ cover outside of the headtube to create a channel to allow the cable to pass through. An example is in the patent drawings of Felt's front fork as seen in link below.
http://www.google.com/patents/US7963540?printsec=drawing#v=onepage&q&f=false

Unfortunately this cowling will add weight. I believe that as of now, all the aero and fork hidden brake cable setups are limited in offering to TT bikes only where weight is less of an issue. Having said that, I do hope that some road manufacturer would come up with a solution to clean up the air in front.

The headset and fork have to be re-designed together to internalize the front brake cable. Therefore short of redesigning the headtube, the best solution is to have a brake like Tririg's Omega brakes or the upcoming DA/Di2 9000 center-pull aero brakes mounted to a more conventional fork.
Storck F.3 5.5kg

JonF

by JonF

Stunning! One of my dream bikes!

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Discoverspeed wrote:Running the brake cables through the steerer tube and seat tube is not so easy as stem stack height and saddle height are different for individuals. So where does the manufacturer pre-drill the holes (assuming that it is as easy as drilling some holes to allow the cables to pass)?

Oh I meant the seatpost should have a slot, from the bottom upwards (not all the way, but far enough), in drive direction, letting the cable channel pass and still allowing normal seatpost adjustment.

Discoverspeed wrote:As for the fork, there are nuts and bolts within the steerer tube that obstruct the clear passage of the brake cable. A fork that "internalizes" the front cable therefore has to have an external cowling/ cover outside of the headtube to create a channel to allow the cable to pass through.

I've seen forks with a clean tube inside, so it should be possible.

Anyway those mods are probably not very easy to put into mass production, but should be within the reach of skilled artisans. About the aerodynamic sigficance, not sure that would be noticable, let alone significant.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com