decent 50mm rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

theosaurus

by theosaurus

Hi
I'm looking for some decent 50mm tubular carbon rims/wheels.
I would like them to be reasonably lightweight but reliable and strong too.
I saw these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50mm-tubular-carbon-wheelset-carbon-fiber-bike-wheels-700C-full-carbon-wheel-/230776902505?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35bb601369
does anyone have any suggestions?
I live in the UK and would use them for racing
yes, but how much does it weigh?

jordo99

by jordo99

I haven't heard of that seller yet...I know a few that have good reputations though:

yishun - mostly known for wheelsets, but also sells frames/other
dengfu - mostly known for bike frames, but also sell wheelsets
hongfu - known for both if I remember correctly...I've only looked at their frames though

^ you can buy from any of them through paypal for security if you contact them via their websites (just search "yishun cycling" or "dengfu cycling", etc...dengfu's site seems to be down at times but you can also find any of them on alibaba.com)

If you prefer ebay, I've read numerous times that the user carbonzone is supposed to be reliable and quick (carbonzone is actually yishun's ebay account)

For the specific seller you mention...if they have a good feedback rating and have sold quite a few wheelsets I wouldn't be too worried.
Usually the biggest thing you give up for these cheap carbon wheels is weight...they usually weight about 200g more than the expensive versions and also the hubs are going to good but definitely not high-end (they're plenty nice for the price...just no ceramic bearings and maybe not Ti skewers)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

theosaurus

by theosaurus

cheers jordo
I'm thinking about the yishun 44mm tubular http://www.yishunbike.com/yishunbike-cc-44mm-carbon-tubular-wheels-p-463.html
i'm sure that buying them will be fine i just want to know if the actual product is good

xuelan

by xuelan

This problem you must ask somebody who have use it! i found many people tell yishun, dengfu and hongfu, and have most of positive feedback about their product, i think their product is good, because there are have many company sell carbon wheels/frame, but most famous are yishun, dengfu and hongfu
But i never use there product, :noidea: if i have ever use there product, i think i can tell you more

joeyruan
in the industry

by joeyruan

theosaurus wrote:cheers jordo
I'm thinking about the yishun 44mm tubular http://www.yishunbike.com/yishunbike-cc-44mm-carbon-tubular-wheels-p-463.html
i'm sure that buying them will be fine i just want to know if the actual product is good

+1 i am agree before you want to buy something, you must sure the product is good, there is no need to waste money in poor quality product, even a small amount of money

Mackers

by Mackers

I am not too impressed by what I see in the pictures.

Both sides laced 1x.

Driveside laced heads out, on a hub with already poor driveside spacing.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

jordo99 wrote:yishun - mostly known for wheelsets, but also sells frames/other
dengfu - mostly known for bike frames, but also sell wheelsets
hongfu - known for both if I remember correctly...I've only looked at their frames though

There's also Gigantex with a very solid reputation.

racingcondor

by racingcondor

If you're looking for cheap asian carbon rims from a trustworthy UK source then Planet X have started selling a debadged rim (presumably they do some QC themselves).

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/RIPX50C/planet_x_50mm_carbon_rim

The big issue that I have with it is that the 'front' rim is a 16 hole which seems a little extreme to me. I was thinking of contacting them to ask if the 24 hole rim is offset drilled, I'd be happy on a 2 cross 24/24 set.

Anyone know where Planet X source them? I suspect it's been named in the thread already but couldn't say which.

xuelan

by xuelan

i don't know, but seems this shop is from United Kingdom?

theosaurus

by theosaurus

I'm pretty sure there gigantex

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

racingcondor

by racingcondor

Thanks Theosaurus.