LOOK 695 ZED2 CRANK BB

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

monre

by monre

I bought a new 695 iPack 2011. After every ride my bb is a bit loose. The LBS tightens the non drive side again and then it just happens again. I was told a must put "loctite" on. Could somebody help perhaps ? mgouws@um.co.za

ricarello

by ricarello

monre wrote:I bought a new 695 iPack 2011. After every ride my bb is a bit loose. The LBS tightens the non drive side again and then it just happens again. I was told a must put "loctite" on. Could somebody help perhaps ? mgouws@um.co.za

on the non drive, there a black round that you can tight a bit. once screwed, it shouldn't move at all...
be sure you pushed well on the drive side.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Steve_W

by Steve_W

Ptfe plumbers tape is your answer.....
I had to do mine along with the chainring bolts on my SR version.
God it's rigid!!!!
Hope this helps.

monre

by monre

Did you put the plumbers tape on the thread on the non drive side before tightening the lock ring ?

Steve_W

by Steve_W

I did yes.....
Put a 4-5 layers around the threads....

Vjl

by Vjl

If you think the lock ring is backing off and letting the BB get loose then teflon tape can't help that situation. Are you even sure the lock ring is backing off? If the pinch bolt is propertly tight it almost can't back off. I have 3 Zed cranks and have never had this problem. Make sure all slack is out of the BB by preloading with lock ring then backing off about one eighth turn. There is a hole in the lock ring to help with tighting it and sometimes you have to crank down hard to get slack out of the bearings. When done you should feel a little play at the peddle when you rock back and forth.

monre

by monre

The LBS tightened the BB earlier in the week and i will only ride it tomorrow morning to see how it is. I felt the lock ring yesterday and i felt that the little allan key bolt on the lock ring was lose. Then i tightened it by clinching it with my hand and turning it clockwise. Then i tightened the allan key. The crank feels a bit tight when i spin it around and halfway through the 360 degree it spins a bit more freely.I think the shop overtightened it on purpose a bit, because it might settle in on the ride and loosen a bit. Does this sound right ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vjl

by Vjl

You should take the chain off the small ring so you can spin the crank. Tighten the lockring ring till the crank gets i little hard to spin then back off lockring one eighth turn at a time till the crank spins free all the way around. If you think lockring is backing off put a drop of white paint or nail polish on lockring and crank arm and, after ride see if lockring moved.