Best wheels for a bigger rider

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

taina

by taina

I have Mavic Ksyrium SL clinchers on my Colnago 1999 Titanium OvalMaster with Campagnolo Record 10. I weigh 210 pounds at 6'2", more muscle than fat. Since I re-started cycling two years ago, climbing has improved my cardiovascular fitness. Over the next year, I plan to climb faster and more per ride. Huffing and puffing at the ends of climbs is good for my heart but bad for my morale. I like riding fast, but I'll never race. It's hilly and windy where I live.

Are any of the following conclusions likely wrong: Slightly better alloy clinchers probably aren't worth the expense of switching wheels. Same for alloy tubulars. So my dream wheels are carbon. Because of prevalent cross-winds, a fair amount of climbing, and lack of racing ambitions, I want rims that are 38mm deep or less. Because of my weight and the long descents on my rides, I want aluminum braking tracks. 24-38mm carbon wheels with aluminum braking tracks don't exist.
Saura mon coeur que mon cul poise.

adapted from Rabelais

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

motorthings

by motorthings

Dura Ace c24 (old 7850 version or new 7900 version) are excellent wheels with carbon structure and al braking track. loved mine, and would get another set in a heartbeat, but I am 150lbs, so maybe someone closer to your weight can give their opinion of them as well.

motorthings

by motorthings

oh, and my DA 24's were much more comfortable than the kysrium sl's i had at the time (and swapped back and forth between on a few different bikes)...

aaric

by aaric

7900 c24's seem to fit your specifications.

pretty aero for a 24, decent weight at 1400g (1450 for the tubeless ones), and pretty sturdy.

I've taken mine up to 60+ mph on descents with no issues (180lbs / 6'1"), and am historically hard on wheels. My wife rides the 7850s, and between the two of us, I've only had to true hers when she managed to bury her cadence sensor into her spokes. I've got around 5000miles on them and the only bad thing I can say is that they are a tad on the heavy side at 1450g. The 7850 SLs seem a bit stiffer, but are heavier and seem to transmit more road buzz.

taina

by taina

The C24's sound like my dream wheels, especially in tubular, except for Campagnolo compatibility. And it looks like IRD and Wheels Manufacturing offer conversion cassettes that will work. Thanks for answering my question.

adapted from Rabelais

taina

by taina

Or I can buy a pair of rims and work with a wheel builder.

adapted from Rabelais

plpete

by plpete

I just purchased a set of the DA C24s from Chainreactioncycles in UK. If you will purchase them go with them. Can't beat $775 shipped for such a great wheel set. Can't wait to get mine. Im about 170lbs and plan to do some more serious climbing and descending and these wheels seemed like the smartest option.

mimason

by mimason

taina wrote:The C24's sound like my dream wheels, especially in tubular,.

Yes, the tubular version is even better. I have the 7850s in tubs. Fave wheel set ever.

ticou

by ticou

I have two. The Hyperon 2, two pairs that is, if calamity befalls one pair.

Phill P

by Phill P

I wouldn't think C24s would be stiff enough for somebody who is 210lbs and strong, they wouldn't feel as secure laterally as Mavics which are pretty stiff for low spoke count wheels.
The C35s would be stiffer (better bracing angle) but I'm not sure of the weight.

I would stay away from Shimano wheels- even on sale- because they won't take 11spd so you will be forced to replace your nice wheels if you ever go 11spd. If you sell wheel- no resale value.

What about Zipp 101s or something from HED's lower profile carbon Al wheels?
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Tubular ones are full carbon. Could also consider C35s if you want something a bit stiffer and more aero.

termitelight

by termitelight

carbon is not a must for a good and light set of wheels ,heres my 1325 gram custom built wheels that just got finished up by my LBS , i weigh in around 185, so they went with 28 spoke American Classic hubs front and rear (205g r & 58g f ) Stans 340(340g) tubeless rims,Dt spokes, i just moved to a hilly area and have been looking for a light but heavy duty set of wheels for a decent price to no avail ! check your local bike shop they might surprize you with a custom builder on site ! i spent around $850 for my set ,with lifetime truing ! plus i got to pick my own color spokes and nipples,if you buy direct and build them up yourself you could save a couple of hundred on labor , and put that money toward new Hutchison tubeless tires, also check out the new Bicycling magazine they have a big write up on the tubeless wheels/weights/prices this month,Good Luck ! and to think i never have to buy another stinken tube !
Attachments
custom wheelset.jpg
Last edited by termitelight on Sun May 27, 2012 3:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Why not consider a lighter pair of custom all carbon wheels. I weight 175 lbs. and do alot of down hill bombing. I have never had an issue with my carbon braking surfaces on any of my carbon wheel sets. If you really want to treat yourself get some Carbonsports Ventoux. Well worth the money.

termitelight

by termitelight

also check out TOPOLINO on EBAY, they make a great climbing wheel

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

XLR8R

by XLR8R

Check out Tune "Sichere bank"

Tune hubs
Sapim CX-ray spokes
Mavic CXP33 rims

1490 grams

Or just Fulcrum racing zero's or Campagnolo Neutron ultra wheels.