2012 Cannondale Flash Carbon 29er 1 or Scalpel 29er 2?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Which one should I get?

Flash 29er
56%
Scalpel 29er
44%

Total votes: 25

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

I currently have a 2008 Cannondale Scalpel carbon 1 that I very much like but I want to move to a 29er. Of the above choices what would people pick? I hear people talk about how the 29er wheels make the hard tail feel like it's not so hard but is it really true? I'm a roady at heart so I want to pedal 100rpm and I pick terrible(well, not terrible...actually yeah, it's probably terrible) line.

I've got a set of SI SL crank arms sitting on my caad9 collecting dust so I'll probably swap them over to which ever mountain bike I get.
- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DavidR1

by DavidR1

If you spin, and are not the most talented rider, do yourself a favor and stick with a hardtail. 29ers are great, but they don't make up for a bad line and it is still a hardtail.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

im also a roady (JNR elite rider) and i have a 29er to dawdle round on... they really do make the hard tails feel less hard while still being seriously fast. I ride a Specialized Stumpjumper Hard tail Carbon 29er with the brain front fork in it, which in my opinion is the best fork ever made. maybe you should spread your horizons, but if you love your cannondales, go the flash!
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

A 29er hardtail would be about equal to a 26er with 1" travel in the overall scheme of things. I have several 29er's and with a 2.2 tire with Stans rims and tubeless, you won't suffer much on the trails. One of my 29er's if full rigid SS with 2.2 rear and 2.3 front tubeless on Flow rims it is not that bad; although a front fork does make a world of difference.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

steve07982

by steve07982

I am stuck trying to make the same decision. i can get a 2011 Flash 2 Carbon 29er for $1k below retail but unfortunately it is a large. it is 100% brand new, still at the bike shop. if it was a medium i would be all over it.

if anyone out there is interested let me know and we can arrange something.

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

Well, Cannondale is sold out of Scalpel carbon 29er 2's in size Large(my size) for the year. So that makes that easy enough I guess.
- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

steve07982

by steve07982

The same shop has a Scalpel Carbon 1.

steve07982

by steve07982

in a large. forgot to mention that. they had a scalpel carbon 2 in a medium but i am picking it up today. He said he had a large in the scalpel 2 and some guy is actually flying in today to buy the bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com