3.0 edge 500 update now available

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

principiamacb

by principiamacb

The much anticipated 3.0 edge 500 update is now available with tss and if. Im downloading now. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Privateer

by Privateer

principiamacb wrote:The much anticipated 3.0 edge 500 update is now available with tss and if. Im downloading now. :thumbup:

I'm trying to download it, but it keeps hanging at the license agreement. I'll try again at home.

TSS and IF are a nice feature. I presume it also has normalised power?

principiamacb

by principiamacb

Yep, I had the same problem in internet explorer. Worked using Chrome.

I think its got NP. Mines fully installed now. About to have a play.

ms6073

by ms6073

Downloaded/installed last night and NP, IF, and TSS are there but appears the two additional bike profiles did not. :|
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

jmh

by jmh

I had hoped to get the additional bike profiles. That seems like a easy add. I wonder why they left it out.

principiamacb

by principiamacb

I've been out this afternoon for a couple of hours. Everything works fine over here. :)

djconnel

by djconnel

Nice. Additional two screens are very welcome.

lalahsghost

by lalahsghost

For the layman (and garmin edge 500 owner), what does TSS and IF stand for? I feel out of the loop :|

livio livius

by livio livius

lalahsghost wrote:For the layman (and garmin edge 500 owner), what does TSS and IF stand for? I feel out of the loop :|

Training Stress Score and Intensity Factor, see also http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/ ... score.aspx

tohd1978

by tohd1978

I have just bricked it after attempting to update thru myGarmin. Googled for solutions but none of it works. Waiting for Garmin to reply now.

And crap, this happened just after I ordered the mount from Racewaredirect. Hopefully Garmin can get it resolved.

lalahsghost

by lalahsghost

livio livius wrote:
lalahsghost wrote:For the layman (and garmin edge 500 owner), what does TSS and IF stand for? I feel out of the loop :|

Training Stress Score and Intensity Factor, see also http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/ ... score.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:beerchug: :thumbup:

My garmin stated "update cannot be installed after hooking up my garmin to computer and using webupdater to install firmware. I let it boot up completely, then turned it off. Second boot stayed on the POWER logo for 20 minutes, turned it off. Third boot, same. Fourth boot, everything was peachy keen. Checked settings > about - v3.00 :noidea: :roll:
Last edited by lalahsghost on Mon May 28, 2012 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

The algorithm of Normalized Power is pretty simple.

if P1 .. PN are the number of power samples in a workout, you make the sum of each sample raised to the power of 4, then divide it by the number of samples, then raise it back down to power of 4.
(P1^4 + P2^4.. PN^4 / N)^(1/4) = NP

What this essentially does is that high variations in power make the number higher because the intensity is higher.

Intensity Factor = Normalized Power / Threshold Power
TSS = ( (NP * DurationInSeconds * IF) / (TP * 3600) ) * 100 -> or (IF)^2 * DurationInHours * 100, so basically a calibration of the IF with the duration of the workout which is more representative of the total load of a workout.

Murphs

by Murphs

tohd1978 wrote:I have just bricked it after attempting to update thru myGarmin. Googled for solutions but none of it works. Waiting for Garmin to reply now.

And crap, this happened just after I ordered the mount from Racewaredirect. Hopefully Garmin can get it resolved.

Be patient, mine took an hour to work again after the update.

Rippin

by Rippin

The update procedure went pretty smoothly for me but I noticed a few things since the update:

1. After the first 20 minutes in to my ride after the update the computer just inexplicably turned off
2. When I first turn on the Edge 500 the speedometer now jumps between between 0 - 1 km/h. The bike/computer isn't moving anywhere. Never happened before the 3.0 update. It doesn't properly reset to 0 until it senses the cadence and speed sensor at the back. I tried resetting the sensor and re-pairing the devices, but that didn't help. If I didn't have the cadence and speed sensor on the back I might be getting a wrong reading just from GPS.
____o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

euan

by euan

Aye mine is doing the jittery speed thing when stationary without cadence/speed data too.