Helmets: Lazer Genesis vs. Kask K50 Evo vs. Rudy Sterling

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Hey everyone!

I'm trying to decide between a new helmet here for this season. Currently I own a Specialized Echelon and it seems to put uneven pressure on the front of my forehead compared to the sides. To get the helmet tight enough so that it doesn't feel loose I get a red mark sort of thing on my forehead. I have tried on Giro and this feel was even worse so they are out.

Basically I'm trying to decide between these 3 helmets for my next one. I have found them all for ~$140ish so price is NOT A FACTOR between these 3. I know the Lazer will fit just fine due to the retention system and having tried one on briefly. I am a bit leery of the Rudy Project since my head is very small ~52cm and the Sterling's lowest range is ~54cm. The Kask has me very interested as I have been reading rave reviews about them however where I'm at *midwest USA* there are no shops that stock them.

Anyone have any comments on these 3 helmets?

Regarding my head shape I'm NOT a Giro fit person and Spec is better although still not great/ideal, not sure what shape this means I am ...

Thanks!
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

tabmaster

by tabmaster

I have a Lazer Helium (two actually, one in storage for the time when the first one dies). A bit lighter than the Genesis but features the roll-sys retention system. I've never had anything more comfy on my head as crash hats go. I tried a Kask but the gel bits on the retention system kept catching on my hair :shock: !!
No idea about the rudy...
If the grand tours are like classical music, kermesse racing is punkrock, Belgian style.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

I also have a Laser but the genesis. The fit systems is also what sold me. It's a perfect fit in seconds. Very cool in hot weather too. Need to get the shell for rainy days.

otoman

by otoman

OP, your head shape is like mine: long and narrow. I had the same experiences with Specialized and Giro lids. Bell a few years ago seemed to fit a bit better but the Lazer is far and away the best fitting. I have the Genesis, have had two and they are stellar in terms of fit and comfort. Not the best ventilated unfortunately. The next best has been a Garneau Diamond. It has the proper shape for our oddly proportioned melons, but I rank it behind the Lazer b/c it has a more traditional sizing mech in back: tightening it just cinches it up so that your head pushes against the front of the helmet. This is still a very comfortable helmet and accommodates a hat well too. I tend to use the Garneau on hotter days and the Lazer on rainy/cold days.

Oh and +1 on the shell for the Lazer. I just wish I had had the balls to get the Lion of Flanders version when I bought it. :lol: It also has an optional winter liner which is the cat's pajamas. :thumbup:
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Thanks for the replies everyone, it seems like the Lazer is going to be the way to go. The retention system makes it seem like it would be borderline impossible NOT to get a good fit.

otoman:That sounds about right to be, I do tend to get pressure on the front and back before the sides which would align well with the idea that my head is slightly elongated as opposed to perfectly circular.

I don't really need to worry about hair pull since I basically have none, almost shaved head here. However, the Kask does seem to have the more common retention mechanism although with the added "up and down" thing they talk about on their site.

Regardless, it seems like the Lazer is the most logical and safe choice here, when I tried one on briefly it seemed like it was almost floating over my head. The top of the helmet didn't really seem like it was touching the top of my head heavily unlike the Spec helmet I have. This combined with the fact that Glory Cycles is running the Genesis for $130 seems to make it a safe choice.

Any other opinions or suggestions are more than welcome :D

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

I got mine for $130 as well and used treefortbicycles price match to get the all white color in my size. Just an FYI if glory doesn't have the color you want.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

NWSAlpine wrote:I got mine for $130 as well and used treefortbicycles price match to get the all white color in my size. Just an FYI if glory doesn't have the color you want.

Thanks for the head ups on that one. I will be picked up a XXS-M probably in the next few days from Glory. Glory actually has the color I want, Black/White in my size so it's all good to go. If it sells out before then or something I will use the treefortbicycles thing for sure. Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com