SSM saddles: moving to Concor/Regale/Zoncolan from Aspide?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I know saddle advice only goes so far, with everyone's backside being unique, but still I'm hoping to gather opinions before shelling out ...

While I like shape and looks of my Aspide (regular "Racing" line), my left 3 smaller toes go numb as early as 20-30mins into the ride. I have tried adjusting my position on the saddle, with the result that my right 3 smaller toes went numb first. My shoes were tied very lightly, to rule out any effect, and on my backup bike (Selle Italia Flite) this does not happen.

I'm kinda attached to the SSM brand, and wondering which of Concor/Regale/Zoncolan to try next. I can sit on the Aspide for hours, it's really only my small toes that don't like it. Possibly some nerve is strained by the saddle?

I'm thinking possible Concor, because I like the Aspide's rather narrow shape and rear spoiler. Regale looks wider, and Zoncolan is flat. Any advice would be appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gpeterson63

by gpeterson63

are you sure it's not your shoes that are the problem?

HillRPete

by HillRPete

gpeterson63 wrote:are you sure it's not your shoes that are the problem?

Pretty much, yes, because it doesn't happen on my backup bike with a plain old Selle Italia saddle.

grid256

by grid256

wassertreter, I've had the exact same problem. It's not your shoes, or at least that would be my guess as I have custom formed insoles and get smaller toe numbness only with the Aspide. Very strange! As for other SSM saddles, I've never tried one that is similar. I've since switched to a Toupe as it replicates the shape for me.

dj97223

by dj97223

I moved from an Aspide to a Regal-e, which works much better for me. It is noticeably wider. I also had the numb toes issue on one side, which went away, though I don't know whether it was the saddle or new shoes I was trying at the time (I added some under-cleat shims).
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

ghostrider1tm

by ghostrider1tm

i road the aspide for a few years...it fit me well so i stuck with it... i was recently given a prologo scratch...i love it!!!! my new saddle for the next several years!

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I have tried the Zoncolan for a few weeks, but the numb toes stayed the same. A physical therapist I talked to said it might be tense muscles quenching nerves when riding and gave me a few (additional) stretching exercises.

Now back on the Aspide things seem to have improved slightly. I'm taking extra care to sit on the back of the saddle. What the (back of) Aspide does really well is to put weight on the seat bones instead of the perineal area.

KWalker

by KWalker

Different saddles put your pelvis in different positions even at the same height/set back and the pedal stroke often changes. I doubt its that specific model.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com