Which Road Stem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hoggy

by hoggy

Hi guys, im going to change my bars and stem but im looking for some feedback first.

i am getting new bars and i have access to a cheap unused Easton EC90 SLX3 and I also have an easton seat post, so the obvious thing would be to go to a easton stem.
that said im open to other suggestions that would match the quality weight and cost of the easton set.

my current thoughts are
Easton EC90 SL
Easton EC090
Deda Newton zero
FSA os99 CSI
any other suggestions

should mention 100mm or 110mm with +- 6 degrees

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Elpimpo

by Elpimpo

I'd snatch up the cheap unused ec90sl and get the ec90 sl stem.

Very stiff and lightweight combo, especially if you're getting the bars cheap.

Getter

by Getter

The Easton only comes in a +/-10 or 0 degrees. The OS-99 is light. My 100mm weighs only 114gr.

mrfish

by mrfish

Or maybe just acetone on a 3t pro or team stem. Also syntace are nice. All of these are fairly light and pro with ti bolts is very close to the team.

natiedean24

by natiedean24

That easton bar is a very good one - it is what I use and has a great bend. Think about a Zipp Service Course SL - it has understated graphics and matches just about anything. Light and cheap.

I've heard that the easton stems have an unfortunate downfall in that they 'pinch' the bottom of carbon bars and can cause some damage.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Happy with my Ritchey WCS C260 stem. 6 degrees, stiff and light.

Garret C

by Garret C

Deda Zero 100 only comes in an 82*(-8*) or 86*(-4*) and the latter is difficult to find without having to pay a ridiculous amount.

Camilo

by Camilo

If you don't care about matching, I can recommend both Syntace and Ritchey WCS stems as great values in terms of weight, and - to me - function. Usually available at very reasonable costs, and I believe they do come in around 120 grams in the OS/31.8 versions (I have 26.0 versions and they both come in at about 105g (90mm WCS or 105mm F99).

I'm not a real stickler for matching stuff. None of my stuff matches at all, but, if I had matching bars and seat post, I'd go ahead and get a matching stem unless the price was ridiculous.

I've recently been looking at the Williams line of components, and I have a plan next year to buy an entire set for my second bike (hate the current bars and need a longer stem anyway, so I'll probably go matching for the first time in my life). Both the aluminum and carbon seat posts, stems and bars look pretty good to me weight/price wise. I like the shape of the bars otherwise they wouldn't be considered.

hoggy

by hoggy

Thanks for the advice guys, got the bars on and they're great and I think I'll go with the Easton stem.

Cheers

termitelight

by termitelight

heres my KCNC SC WING stem @ 108grams it was a pretty reasonable price too....
Attachments
KCNC 108 GRAMS.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Camilo

by Camilo

termitelight wrote:heres my KCNC SC WING stem @ 108grams it was a pretty reasonable price too....

Looks very nice. I'm as big a fan of light weight stuff, but I just don't like the idea of printing it on the item. But that's just me.