what do you eat during a 100 mile race ?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

So a little higher intensity than 'sandwich eating' levels?

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Rick wrote:It is actually a lot easier to take bites out of a moist sandwich than it is to unwrap a Cliff bar or a powerbar!

(You don't have to eat the sandwich in one gulp) :thumbup:

You can open that Cliff bar before you start the race and leave it in the package. :wink:

But those bars blow. Make yourself these bite size mini sandwiches and pop them in as you go.

I like Nutella, Peanut butter/Nutella, strawberry preserves, 100% maple syrup, honey something like that...
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Crabon14

by Crabon14

I finished pretty decently in a 120 mile pro 1/2 road race a few weeks ago. A small sandwich of white bread, thin nutella and jam in the first hour while the pace was moderate. Maybe 2 powerbars between 1:00 and 3:00 ride time. In the last 1:45 i probably downed 5 gels. All in all something around 250-300 calories an hour. The race had neutral water in the support car so I stuck to gels/bars instead of sports drinks. The morning of the race I had a giant bowl of cereal, nothing too crazy as I dont like to feel full and heavy on the start line. No cramps, no bonk, all good. Start with solid food, move to things easier to digest as the race goes on.

Tabe

by Tabe

Careals in the morning of the race sound good, some riders of our club opt for a good plate of pasta or rice w/ bit oil added innit.

In structured team athletes role may play part a bit. 4-5hrs race w/ attacking hard first hour trying to get into escape group, compared final sprint oriented or leadout role situation. Early attackers need to be quite empty when flag goes down.

davidalone

by davidalone

really, tabe? that would depend on the level of support that my team can provide, wouldnt you say?

If I'm my teams breakaway man , anticipating a long day in the saddle ahead, and I know that theres a possibility I won't be receiving much food support ( if my team vehicle is say, stuck with the peloton.) I'd want as much food as I could carry reasonably on board with me.

of course if food support was a given then of course leave it to the team vehicle.

Tabe

by Tabe

Correct davidalone..thats possible and our choise for early breakaway men too. What I actually meant was *empty stomach and digestive system* for that team player role. Not empty pockets.. :mrgreen: :thumbup:

thecounty

by thecounty

http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledg ... knowledge/
has all the info you need. You can check out the "Endurance Athlete's Guide to Success" and also "The Top 10 - The biggest mistakes endurance athletes make"

Following the above advice totally turned my season around. I was struggling with bonking/cramping/dehydration before reading the above sources and now I'm doing really well, bunch of top tens and one win. I race cat 2 and typically do 100 mile races so if it worked for me it will work for you too!

thecounty

by thecounty

Crabon14 wrote:I finished pretty decently in a 120 mile pro 1/2 road race a few weeks ago. A small sandwich of white bread, thin nutella and jam in the first hour while the pace was moderate. Maybe 2 powerbars between 1:00 and 3:00 ride time. In the last 1:45 i probably downed 5 gels. All in all something around 250-300 calories an hour. The race had neutral water in the support car so I stuck to gels/bars instead of sports drinks. The morning of the race I had a giant bowl of cereal, nothing too crazy as I dont like to feel full and heavy on the start line. No cramps, no bonk, all good. Start with solid food, move to things easier to digest as the race goes on.

This is great advice. Remember, it is IMPOSSIBLE to load ANY muscle glycogen the morning of the race. Whatever you eat before the race is only to get your blood glucose and liver glycogen topped off so don't stress about over eating the morning of the race.