Build up R3 or CAAD10?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

highwater

by highwater

Hello Weenies, checking in with my first post.

I have two frames waiting for me to build up when I go home in a week. I can only build up one of them, and I need to sell the other one. I'm looking for opinions on which one you would choose in this situation.

The framesets are 2009 Cervelo R3 and 2012 Cannondale CAAD10-1. The build will be with 2011 SRAM Red and Enve 6.7 tubular wheels.

I am currently leaning towards the CAAD10, as reviews seem to put it on the same level as the '09 R3 in terms of ride quality, plus the anodized black would go perfect with the Enve wheels. The original plan was to build the R3 however, and as such I bought a GXP crankset, and non-'black' Red components. I have since bought the Wheels Mfg BB30 adapter to use the crank on the CAAD10, but I will be paying a ~110g weight penalty over a BB30 Red crank. The CAAD10 build plan would include an eventual switch to a SiSL crank and black components. Another thing to consider is that I overpaid for the R3 frame and would take a hit on selling it, whereas I would probably make a small profit selling the CAAD10.

I am going back and forth on this issue. Originally the CAAD10 was to be a backup frame for the R3. I have never ridden a carbon frame before, but the CAAD10-1 + Enve build seems too attractive to put off indefinitely.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mgordon

by mgordon

I was first going to say that, even as a HUGE caad10 fan, the R3 would be nicer - but then I saw you mention hollowgrams...

CAAD10 all the way.

fa63

by fa63

Whichever fits the best. If they both fit well, then whichever one is lighter (I think that the R3 win this one, even without the SiSL crank).

howler

by howler

If you do fit both, bike's primary use may be an important consideration as well. If you are doing alot of crits or traveling, might be best to go with caad10 since more impact resistance. A dent is better than a crack.

Also, to my mind, frame>wheels>components so wouldnt be chosing the caad10 just because of the bb30/sisl crank option. Better to base choice on frame weight, stiffness, etc.

FWIW, id be going with the r3 as i believe (only from what iv read, not 1st hand experience) the ride quality would be a bit better and thats what im into.

highwater

by highwater

howler,

Impact resistance is certainly a consideration. I plan on racing a good number of crits on the bike, at the Cat5 level no less. The CAADs have a good reputation for durability, and I seem to hear about a lot of R3s developing cracks without much help from the rider. Being used from ebay, I wouldn't be able to send the R3 in for warranty.

The geometry differences are pretty negligible, so I don't think fit will be substantially better on one or the other. The CAAD10 has a 73.5deg seat tube while the R3 has a 73, and the only other difference is that the R3 chainstays are a little shorter.

Leaning more heavily towards the CAAD10 now, even if the R3 might be a little nicer and lighter. Selling it would fund the hollowgram cranks, and some 3T stealth bits.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

First time racing?

Take the CAAD10.

At least 6.7's won't look out of place in Cat5 :wink: :smartass:

highwater

by highwater

Tinea Pedis wrote:At least 6.7's won't look out of place in Cat5 :wink: :smartass:

Smoke 'em if you got 'em right? :mrgreen:

53x12

by 53x12

Thin tubed aluminum is not damaged prone. Bad crash is a bad crash.

Who said you can't have both? I know you can only build up one when you get home, but why not keep the other around until you have enough funds to build the other? Use the CAAD for racing/bad weather bike and use the R3 for your longer/"nice weather" bike. That way you won't have to decide. A true weight weenie has multiple bikes. :)
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

irf3

by irf3

CAAD10 is an awesome bike. Plus, you really don't want to be a cat5 guy riding around on a cervelo with enve wheels, that's ridiculous.

Elpimpo

by Elpimpo

irf3 wrote:CAAD10 is an awesome bike. Plus, you really don't want to be a cat5 guy riding around on a cervelo with enve wheels, that's ridiculous.

:lol:

yongkun

by yongkun

Caad10 is pretty brittle too, seen a few broken frames in crashes. Well same goes for majority of the bikes..

highwater

by highwater

53x12 wrote:Thin tubed aluminum is not damaged prone. Bad crash is a bad crash.

Who said you can't have both? I know you can only build up one when you get home, but why not keep the other around until you have enough funds to build the other? Use the CAAD for racing/bad weather bike and use the R3 for your longer/"nice weather" bike. That way you won't have to decide. A true weight weenie has multiple bikes. :)

I do have another card in my deck - a like-new 2010 CAAD9-4 frameset that's also sitting at home with the others. It would make possibly the most sense then to use the CAAD10 for training/nice days, and build up the CAAD9 with rival/force, which would be a bad weather bike. The CAAD9/Force bike would also probably make the most sensible steed for my first racing season.

Keeping all three was the original idea, but I don't know if I can justify, financially or otherwise, two nice bikes and another perfectly good one [in addition to the road bike and cross bike I already have].

I might just go double-CAAD and call it good.

irf3 wrote:CAAD10 is an awesome bike. Plus, you really don't want to be a cat5 guy riding around on a cervelo with enve wheels, that's ridiculous.

I agree - and would generally like to abide by proper conventions - but if we all shrunk from ridicule, I don't know how many of us would riding bicycles at all.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

highwater wrote:... but if we all shrunk from ridicule, I don't know how many of us would riding bicycles at all.

Strong truth.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

So if you hadn't bought the second CAAD you could have probably have afforded to keep the R3?

:lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

highwater

by highwater

^ I won't admit to being the best with money! R3 and CAAD9 were first, but then the CAAD10-1 showed up and I couldn't let it slip by. Ebay timing can be a bitch.

I'll be posting pics of the CAAD10 in a couple weeks. 8)