Replacing chain on SRAM red 10 speed. What would you recomme

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WasFab

by WasFab

So to go to the next stage and to ask if anyone had this experience which I would like to know if it refers to chain need to be replaced.
I hear little noise when I stroke the pedal. It is only the left pedal and not always heard. It heard mostly when I put power down or getting out of my saddle but even then it is not as a rule so difficult to put the finger on the reason. I have changed pedals and still the same issue exist with the other set. I have checked the crank and crank arms but it seems steady with no movement and free play so I am wondering if it could be from tightened chain even though the feeling of this noise is like it under my left feet as I stroke.
Any suggestions?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?zqttdd

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

What, exactly, if you can describe it, are you hearing?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

WasFab

by WasFab

prendrefeu wrote:What, exactly, if you can describe it, are you hearing?

it is like a knock sound, every stock like a tick which I feel physically from the pedal underneath the shoe but as I said it is not always there, so there is no rule beside that its more appearing when I push harder on the pedal but as I said with my original post about this issue, I checked and kind of eliminated few things so I'm asking if it can be chain tightened too much, which need to be replaced.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?32imw2

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Only when pedaling on the left?
It's not the chain, it may be the bearings.

Camilo

by Camilo

I've used both Sram 1091 and Shimano 7900 on my Red drive train. The 7900 might be a tiny bit quieter, but if so, it's virtually meaningless .... to me. The 1091 was perfectly acceptable to me. I have no experience with the KMC.

When I was buying the chains about a year ago, I was searching for the absolute cheapest online prices I could find, and I don't recall that there was a significant (maybe $5) difference between the 1091, the 7900 or the KMC 10SL which I was also looking at.

dwb

by dwb

I have tried several SRAM chains and Shimano chains. Shimano chains shift just as well, but as somewhat of a SRAM fanboy, I hate to admit it but Shimano chains last longer. IME, a SRAM PC 1070 only lasted ~3000 km; SRAM PC 1050, 1090R, and Ultegra 6600 chains lasted ~5000 km, and a Dura Ace 7801 chain lasted even longer.

One bike currently has a SRAM PC 1051 chain, not sure what changed from the 1050, but it seems to be lasting longer. I yearn for longer lasting chains so I am experimenting with other chains. My other bike is testing a Wippermann 10S8. It did not shift as well as the Dura Ace chain initially (on SRAM 1070 and Ultegra 6600 cassettes), but now it works just fine. My hope is that it will last longer and after ~2000 km it has not "stretched".

I can definately recommend either the Wippermann 10S8 or the (discontinued) Dura Ace 7801. KMC makes good chains, but I only have experience with their 9 speed and single speed chains. This may be superstition, but hollow pin chains have not lasted as long for me. After breaking a couple chains in the past, they are not a place I look to save weight. Shift quality and longevity are more important to me.

Regarding your left pedal noise, have you looked at both your shoe and cleat? The right member of one of my pairs of shoes is currently suffering a similar ailment.

madmole

by madmole

DWB, how do you clean your chains?
Cervelo S3 2011. Blinged 6.718 Kg

WasFab

by WasFab

prendrefeu wrote:Only when pedaling on the left?
It's not the chain, it may be the bearings.

yes only the left pedal only when I push it down pedalling. Which bearings are you referring to,the BB?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?muhayp

WasFab

by WasFab

Regarding your left pedal noise, have you looked at both your shoe and cleat? The right member of one of my pairs of shoes is currently suffering a similar ailment.[/quote]

I have looked both cleats, I have changed cleats now I use Speedplay Zero and before when the noise started I used Xpedo TI look compatible and I thought the noise came from the pedal but eventually I changed to speedplay and same noise on same side continues. The cleats on the shoe are secured now and doesn't move!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?avvbsc

Rick

by Rick

On my FORCE drivetrain, I mix SRAM and Shimano cassettes frequently.

All 10 speed chains seem to work acceptably well: Sram, Shimano,.. including the KMC.
I think the DA 7900 chain does however shift just slightly smoother/faster than all of them.

Not enough that I am willing to pay retail for the 7900 though. I will run whatever I can get on a good sale. :wink:
I will up my budget a little for a 7900 though.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

WasFab wrote:yes only the left pedal only when I push it down pedalling. Which bearings are you referring to,the BB?

Yes.

dwb

by dwb

madmole,

I do not clean my chains often. Maintenance schedule is important for chain life though. I follow the Lennard Zinn philosophy and replace chains prematurely to conserve the cassettes. Chains are replaced with about 2 or 3 mm stretch over 10 links. When the chain is dirty I use Purple Power degreaser and a toothbrush to clean the chain, cassette, and chainrings with lots of water. Then for lubrication I use White Lightning and it takes more every 100 to 300 km, depending on the weather.

The chains breaking were other, isolated incidents a long time ago and not related to my maintenance schedule. I was just saying it happened to me before and will always make me prefer robust chains. On the other hand, I twisted a PC 1050 link while shifting under load. It was a freak accident and did not stop me from replacing it with another SRAM chain.

WasFab,

Running Speedplay Zeros as well. Today I took apart the right cleat of the offensive shoe, and sure enough one of the three adapter plate bolts was loose. After tightening it, the noise has gone away. However, in your situtation changing from the Xpedo pedals, this may not be the case with you.

shabbasuraj
Shop Owner

by shabbasuraj

Real men use Wipperman.

/end thread
Mass Weenie

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

You Wippermann people are making me take notice, but wow over $100 for a chain? Cheapest I found was a little over $90 on ebay. If they last twice as long though it would seem worth it. I wasn't real impressed with the 3-4k or so miles I got out of my last KMC. It was off of my race bike though, so most of those miles were hard ones. This thread is reminding me I should check my chains on my bikes.

Camilo

by Camilo

WasFab wrote:
prendrefeu wrote:What, exactly, if you can describe it, are you hearing?

it is like a knock sound, every stock like a tick which I feel physically from the pedal underneath the shoe but as I said it is not always there, so there is no rule beside that its more appearing when I push harder on the pedal but as I said with my original post about this issue, I checked and kind of eliminated few things so I'm asking if it can be chain tightened too much, which need to be replaced.

OK, this is probably way to simplistic, but I have to mention it. A small ticking sound, intermittent, but once per pedal revolution while left pedal is down..... which means right pedal is up..... could it possibly be the right crank arm brushing against the front derailleur cable? I've had that happen a few times before I figured it out. Doh!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com