Seriously any diff between standard bar and aero bar?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

project3

by project3

I have the option to choose between an
Standard bar and a aero bar. Can anyone share with me any diff? Aero bar is a bit heavier. I
Have to seriously consider a bar for my new bike and 1st time to road.

And I have the option between

1) ritchey super logic 2 - standard
2) Easton ec90SLX3 standard and aero
3) 3t - one of the lightest but can remember which model.

Any advise.

sungod

by sungod

assuming you are talking about standard drop bars with an aero profile, rather than full-on aero bars, in a review that zipp references on its website it says c. 5w saving with vukasprint bars

for wheels, zipp usually quotes based on riding at 300w at 48km/hr

presumably the 5w came from zipp and is based on a similar screnario, so if you ride fast for a long time, there'll be some benefit, but it's not huge

the blurb for easton aero ones seems to say the aero benefit comes from changed rider position, i can't see the bars themselves beating the zipp ones for drag

fwiw after finding lighter bars/stem too flexy (deda newton bars, zero 100 stem), i accepted that i needed to go heavier if wanted stiff, experimented and in the end i got a cinelli ram2 integrated, the extra weight was well worth it, no flex at all

now some say the zero 100 is a stiff stem, but of course it depends on your weight, power, riding style etc., if you do put a lot of oomph through the bars on hard climbs or sprints then it's something to consider

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

project3

by project3

And how I have the option to use deda 35mm

DMF

by DMF

Please excuse my thread-jacking, but does anyone have some numbers for watt savings with dropbars and aero clip-ons/extensions vs actual flat TT bar, when riding in the same position on the extensions? Ie, how much will the un-used drops with STI's/brifters hold one back, compared to wing shaped TT basebar with just aero brake levers?

clarkson

by clarkson

I genuinely think the fastest one is whichever is most comfortable for you. If the bar can keep you in a good position over the course of a ride, you'll almost certainly earn back that 5w savings.

If all are equal on comfort, then go for aero or lightest or stiffest as your priorities dictate.

mjduct

by mjduct

clarkson wrote:I genuinely think the fastest one is whichever is most comfortable for you. If the bar can keep you in a good position over the course of a ride, you'll almost certainly earn back that 5w savings.

If all are equal on comfort, then go for aero or lightest or stiffest as your priorities dictate.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Best post ever on this forum...

project3

by project3

i ended up with this stem and bar
Attachments
i ended up with this!
i ended up with this!

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

mjduct wrote:
clarkson wrote:I genuinely think the fastest one is whichever is most comfortable for you. If the bar can keep you in a good position over the course of a ride, you'll almost certainly earn back that 5w savings.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Best post ever on this forum...

Nah...

This is.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Machinenoise

by Machinenoise

DMF wrote:Please excuse my thread-jacking, but does anyone have some numbers for watt savings with dropbars and aero clip-ons/extensions vs actual flat TT bar, when riding in the same position on the extensions? Ie, how much will the un-used drops with STI's/brifters hold one back, compared to wing shaped TT basebar with just aero brake levers?

Numbers in the order of about 30-40w, depends how narrow you are and how good the aerobar is too! Its quite a lot of tubing/sti sticking out in the wind.

DMF

by DMF

Holy cow! I would have figured it'd be closer to one third of that, tops.... The TT-bars are going on the roadbike ASAP. Rarely use the drops since I got the extensions anyway. Having to reach for the shifters when on the "hoods" seems very minor compared to 30+ watts when on the gas...

djconnel

by djconnel

Are the Zipp data with or without a rider? Since rider is drafting behind bars seems it would make a big difference.

I don't understand those 35 mm bars unless you're a 100 kg sprinter or have very wide shoulders. A bit of bar flex acts as suspension. There can be too much, perhaps, but those seem way overkill.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

sawyer

by sawyer

Machinenoise wrote:
DMF wrote:Please excuse my thread-jacking, but does anyone have some numbers for watt savings with dropbars and aero clip-ons/extensions vs actual flat TT bar, when riding in the same position on the extensions? Ie, how much will the un-used drops with STI's/brifters hold one back, compared to wing shaped TT basebar with just aero brake levers?

Numbers in the order of about 30-40w, depends how narrow you are and how good the aerobar is too! Its quite a lot of tubing/sti sticking out in the wind.

I can't believe the drops will generate 30-40W of drag ... e.g. 1/8th of the threshold power of a decent amateur ?
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

NGMN

by NGMN

Machinenoise wrote:

That sounds high to me. Of course it depends on speed.

For instance, going from a Specialized Tarmac with clipons on a handlebar to a Specialized Transition with a tt setup and otherwise the same variable you get a 20 watt advantage and that is divided up between the frameset, position and then the better aerobar:
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/h ... ero-19273/

So maybe more like 5 watts at 25mph?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

I never use the drops so I went this way.

BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades