Time Sport

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

mrfish

by mrfish

Edit: I posted the emails below in frustration. I had visited a couple of dealers and phoned the distributor to try and get my pedals fixed with no joy. It was pointed out that I had been an idiot, so see my apology below.

I've just re-ordered the emails and anonymised so you can judge for yourself.

De : Contact TIMESPORT
Envoyé : mardi 22 mai 2012 09:39
À : Mxxxx Txxx
Objet : TR: Time pedal repair

De : Xxxxxxxx Xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Envoyé : lundi 21 mai 2012 17:42
À : Contact TIMESPORT
Objet : Time pedal repair

Hi,

My Time RXS Titan pedal axle has 2mm axial play. From new it had about 0.5mm play (more than the other) and this has gradually got worse. Can I send it to you for repair? I would prefer to send it direct as it will otherwise take months via dealers, distributors etc…

Please let me know the address to send it to.

Thanks,

Axxxxxx

Sent: 22 May 2012 09:47
To: Contact TIMESPORT
Cc: Axxxx, xxxxx
Subject: RE: Time pedal repair

Dear Axxxx,

All our pedals are guaranteed 2 years .
If it’s case, find on our website the nearest TIME reatiler from you. Don’t forget your copy of the invoice to validate the warranty.

Best Regards

Mxxx Txxxx
Responsable SAV Export
Time Sport
2, avenue Blaise Pascal
38090 VAULX - MILIEU
Tél : xxxx
http://www.Time-Sport.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

De : Xxxxxxxxxxx
Envoyé : mardi 22 mai 2012 10:22
À : Mxxxx Txxxxx; Contact TIMESPORT
Cc : service@timesportusa.com
Objet : RE: Time pedal repair

Mxxxxx,

Please answer my question: CAN I SEND THE PEDAL TO YOU TO GET IT REPAIRED? IF SO, WHAT IS THE RIGHT ADDRESS?

Regarding warranty, I no longer have a receipt and it’s probably outside the 2 year warranty period anyway. I am surprised that you mention a 24 month warranty on pedals as your website here http://www.time-sport.com/sav-et-faq.0.22.0.0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; mentions a 12 month warranty.

Anyway, as I wrote in my original email, I prefer not to send it via some dealer as I will need to make a special trip to the shop, they will roll their eyes and tell me that I did not buy the part from them, then after some discussion they will take a week to send it to the distributor, then they will take a week to send it to you, and then the same on the way back… And each step in the chain needs to make a profit, not to mention the cost to the environment for multiple postages and my car journey to a shop, making the whole thing horribly expensive and time consuming for what should be a cheap and simple repair. Perhaps a simpler solution might be for you provide dealers with a service kit to replace Time pedal bearings? This would make life easier for everyone, and allow me to get my pedals fixed on the spot.

Secondly I’d like to inform you that your website DOES NOT SHOW DEALERS, neither in Switzerland, where I live, nor in UK where I used to live. Your website here http://www.time-sport.com/distribution.4.0.0.0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; only shows dealers in France, Spain and US, which is not helpful. When I was based in the UK a few months ago, I did contact your distributor, Chicken Cycles to ask them to help, but they did not know how to fix your pedals and would not help.

On my search for help I did have a look around your website as well, and I have to say that it could be improved in many areas. For example, I cannot easily understand what each bike in the model range offers, and why each one is different. Nor can I see where to buy one, or approximately how much it costs. Clearly people can’t and won’t buy your products if these basics aren’t clear.

Please help me sort this out, otherwise I will get rid of my 6 pairs of Time pedals, buy Look or Shimano instead, and recommend others on the Internet forums I frequent to do the same.

Best,

Axxxxx
__________________________________________________________________________________

Sent: 22 May 2012 11:36
To: Xxxxxx Axxxx
Subject: RE: Time pedal repair

Hello Axxxxx,

Would you please contact EXTRA UK LTD, LONDON; 207 431 64 43, Chris Walker is my interlocutor, Extra is our new UK distributor.
Which can’t nothing for you if your pedals have more than two years. ( I confirm two years of warranty)

Best Regards

Mxxx Txxxx
Responsable SAV Export
Time Sport
2, avenue Blaise Pascal
38090 VAULX - MILIEU
Tél : xxxx
http://www.Time-Sport.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

________________________________________________________________________________________

Mxxxx.

Si l’Anglais n’est pas clair, pourriez-vous utilizer Google translate, avant d’ecrire un email ?
If English isn't clear, please use Google translate before writing an email.

J’habite à Zurich, pas en Angleterre. Le numero qui vous m’avez donne n’est pas le numero pour service à Extra.
I live in Zurich, not in England. The number you gave me is not the service number at Extra.

C’est fini. Je vais chercher des autres pedales
Enough. I'm getting some other pedals.

Axxxx

Mxxx,

My emails to you yesterday were rude and aggressive. I was frustrated – I had tried to get the pedals repaired at a few dealers who did not help, and then got things out of proportion.

Sorry. I can only apologise.

Axxxx
Last edited by mrfish on Wed May 23, 2012 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I sent mine straight to the dealer...got my pedals serviced & back quick smart. I like TIME... :mrgreen:

micky

by micky

Mrfish, Im not a Time costumer and never been, but your emails sounded a bit harsh and "one way only" if you understand what I mean; they didnt act the way you wanted so you're saying they are incompetent, right?

I think its normal to go throught dealers for such repairs otherwise we wouldnt need them (Im aware some are very useless at time but by what I understand in your email exchange, you dont even know whos the one in Swiss).

Plus your pedals are out of warranty, so you could have gained a free repair but I cant see it happening at the end of the email exchange.

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

Agreed. I would probably have replied much along the same lines Time did, had a customer written a message like this.

liam7020

by liam7020

micky wrote:Mrfish, Im not a Time costumer and never been, but your emails sounded a bit harsh and "one way only" if you understand what I mean; they didnt act the way you wanted so you're saying they are incompetent, right?

I think its normal to go throught dealers for such repairs otherwise we wouldnt need them (Im aware some are very useless at time but by what I understand in your email exchange, you dont even know whos the one in Swiss).

Plus your pedals are out of warranty, so you could have gained a free repair but I cant see it happening at the end of the email exchange.

+1 on that. Large manufacturers rarely deal directly with Joe - that would probably be why they have dealers... Personally if I were Mr Time I'd tell Mr Fish to stick the pedals were the sun don't shine!!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

mrfish, your e-mails to Time were increasingly rude and it appears that the contact at Time did their best to help you out per their protocol.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

savechief

by savechief

Mrfish, it doesn't appear that you are going to get the pity-fest that you were probably expecting when you started this thread.

Next time your car breaks down, I suggest you bypass your dealer or local mechanic, and contact the car manufacturer directly regarding repairs. Let us know how that goes.
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

quattrings

by quattrings

savechief wrote:Mrfish, it doesn't appear that you are going to get the pity-fest that you were probably expecting when you started this thread.

Next time your car breaks down, I suggest you bypass your dealer or local mechanic, and contact the car manufacturer directly regarding repairs. Let us know how that goes.

when my ritchey saddle was defective I emailed ritchey directly and they guided me to the nearest dealer for a warranty claim. Albeit I wasn't as forthcoming as the OP in my communication.

hasbeen

by hasbeen

Probably would have helped if you did what they asked instead of being a tool. Just my observation but thanks for posting the conversations so I could come to my conclusion.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

I agree with the prevailing sentiment, and had reached that conclusion before seeing any of the replies. I would also note the rapid turnaround time on the email exchanges, as everything happened in a period from after business hours one day through the next morning - that's not too shabby in its own right. The only "crime" that the Time representative committed, and I don't view it as a death penalty* offense, was to provide you info for England rather than Switzerland - you could have responded with a polite statement pointing that out.

Perhaps you could have explicitly proposed sending your pedals to Time for them to repair for a fee.

Based on the email exchanges, I could not recommend anyone to do business with this clown.

* boycott Time forever and advise everyone all over the internet to do the same

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

So let me get this straight. You send an email at 9.39, it's answered perfectly reasonably within 8 minutes. Your response is top send an officious reply and threaten them to boot?

FYI the reason Chicken were less than helpful had nothing to do worth lack of knowledge. They had already effectively ceased being Time's distributor so had no interest or ability to help. Judging by your emails' tone I'm not surprised they were that way.

Time bearings are perfectly easy to replace. I am on old Impacts that are on their third set of bearings, as well as RXS carbons that are still fine.

savechief

by savechief

mrfish wrote:Secondly I’d like to inform you that your website DOES NOT SHOW DEALERS, neither in Switzerland, where I live, nor in UK where I used to live. Your website here http://www.time-sport.com/distribution.4.0.0.0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; only shows dealers in France, Spain and US, which is not helpful.

http://time-sport.com/distribution.4.0.0.0.html

But right below that not-so-helpful map that shows the US, France and Spain highlighted, they do have this very helpful little box that allows you to type things in, such as "Switzerland". After doing so, you will find the following:

Loup Sport
CH-1587
Montmagny, Switzerland
http://www.loupsport.ch
Tel: 0041 26 6772 226
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

Leviathan

by Leviathan

so who else is thinking this thread didnt go the way the op was expecting? :lol: Might have to buy Time pedals just out of sheer spite now...

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

I knew Dominic* (through his WW postings). Dominic was a friend (in spirit) of mine. Dominic had a legitimate grievance with a cycling equipment manufacturer (Lew Racing). Mrfish, you're no Dominic*.

* viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48057 (the "good" threads are deleted)
** for the benefit of the non-Americans, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senator,_y ... ck_Kennedy

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sleepingmenace

by sleepingmenace

Time has always been excellent to me when I've dealt with them over either warranty issues, or looking for info/assistance regarding components out of warranty.
I think they made it fairly clear that you need to go through the dealer network (as you do with pretty much any company you deal with) but since this wasn't the way you wanted to go..you threw your toys out of the pram.

Sorry, I just cannot feel bad for you. As the tone of your letters became increasingly hostile, and continually ignored their advice to go through a dealer, I'd have probably told you to F** off after about the 3rd mail...
http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinternet.org

Cycle related blog entries, including a few 5 minute reviews:
http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinterne ... y/cycling/