quarq and BB

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

devinci

by devinci

I want to buy myself a nice MTB quarq. I have a standard BSA frame so I'd buy the GXP version with external cups.

Thing is, if I ever change my bike, I'll be stucked with choosing among the BSA frames option. I know I could put a sleeve to adapt a BB30 frame into a BSA frame but it adds quite a bit of weight. Any way I could do the opposite? i-e adapte a BSA frame to PF30 or BB30?

thanks for any suggestions

grover

by grover

The SRAM BB30 crankset works in a BSA frame with a conversion bottom bracket such as that offered by Rotor.

Alternatively just buy the GXP crankset and if you get a BB30 frame you just buy BB30 crankarms and swap the Quarq spider onto them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

devinci

by devinci

grover wrote:The SRAM BB30 crankset works in a BSA frame with a conversion bottom bracket such as that offered by Rotor.

Alternatively just buy the GXP crankset and if you get a BB30 frame you just buy BB30 crankarms and swap the Quarq spider onto them.

o_O

Reading on the rotor bsa30 BB, they say its only compatible with sram 900 and 975 cranks, the MTB quarq is a sram s2275 crank... Would it fit?

I like the crank arm idea, quite dumb not to have thought about it myself.... facepalm

thanks!

grover

by grover

I use bb30 X.0 crankarms with a rotor bottom bracket in a BSA shell. These crankarms are the same as those you get with a Quarq mtb crankset...just different graphics. 900 and 975 are the road crankset model numbers. They just don't list which MTB models it's compatible with.

devinci

by devinci

All right thanks a lot!

clarkson

by clarkson

Quarq are also super cheery and helpful in person... I'm sure you could give them a call for answers too.

devinci

by devinci

yup

they said the GXP and bb30 version were fully cross compatible.

quarq ordered :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jooo

by jooo

@grover - Does your bike have a 68mm or 73mm shell?