My Dream Bike being built: Colnago MXL Mapei

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

soulbike
in the industry

by soulbike

Well, since I was younger, I had always wanted this frame. Finally managed to get a hold of it. Gonna build it up with an older groupset (one which I consider to be one of the best groupset ever designed). Also settled on silver components to keep with the classic look made with modern components theme...

Also built up a pair of alloy clinchers with silver hubs and spokes. Wheel weight came out at a respectable 1255g. It's a shame tubular tyres are not more widely used as these built up really nicely. Gonna take my time building this up, just to savour it. I doubt I'll ever ride it much, because it just looks so damn good! Enjoy:

PS: I didn't know whether this thread would better be suited to be in one of the Steel frame threads or Colnago threads, so I leave it to the mods to move it if applicable.

pmr

by pmr

The paint job and fork are gorgeous!

I don't really like the saddle, but that might be me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Nice project, hope you'll be able to do it justice and ride it every once in a while.

Could you post a side-view pic -- what stem is that?

I think it would be ok to link this thread from both, the steel and the 'nago threads.

musk3t

by musk3t

It's beautiful, but is screaming out for one of the newly re-issued Cinelli 64's and a stem to match (you'll find a Colnago or NOS Cinelli 26mm stem somewhere).

notsoswift

by notsoswift

What no Shimano :P

Very sweet and you are right, it is a piece of art as much as a bike, on those special days you do ride you will just have to think to Ballarni and Museeuw, Steels and Tafi, Bettini and Bartoli, gee they were a great team

Tell us about the wheels

bencolem

by bencolem

The bike as art, helped by superb photography, looking forward to the end result!

mrfish

by mrfish

Nice.

Get some threads on that fork - the bike will look best with a nice slim aluminium quill stem. If you can't bear to do that, then at least put on an Eclypse or similar as the Thomson looks about twice as big as the down tube. On a similar note, trade the carbon crank for either a square taper Record aluminium or carbon. Preferably the aluminium as they didn't do carbon then.

mrfish

by mrfish

Also, campag seatpost or colnago carbon is needed I think. They used to do a nice Titanium post, which would match an Eclypse aheadset stem I think. The DA is nice, but it only goes with a DA groupset.

soulbike
in the industry

by soulbike

Stem is a Thomson X2. Seatpost is a shimano durace. Saddle a white San Marco Regal. I don't care much for being period correct or tradition. If I were, the bike would have a durace 9speed groupset and a carbon star fork. The bike has parts that I feel have been well made and designed. The durace post is really a work of art, it's a shame they don't make that anymore. The post came out at 175g! The X2 stem is exceptionally well CNCed. Maybe on a smaller frame size it would look really big but it looks ok to me now. It can't possible be any smaller because of the 31.8 diameter deda bars. Silver cranks would look nice but the carbon is what I already have. Wheels are handbuilt with SOUL prodigy hubs in silver, silver aerolites and 380g 22mm alloy tubular rims.

Now.... what colour bartape? Conservative me says white, radical me says blue.

jcconnox

by jcconnox

soulbike wrote:Now.... what colour bartape? Conservative me says white, radical me says blue.

White. Why is this even a question? :smartass:

Also... FAPx1000.

funkmeister

by funkmeister

I have the good fortune of staying in the same neighbourhood as Sean. This bike screams to be put together every time I drop by his place. Great that he's put the pics up, we can now collectively hound his ass to put it together pronto!!

soulbike
in the industry

by soulbike

Well, it's finally finished and I have been riding it for a month or more now. Changed a couple of things before the build, went with an ITM "colnago", a super competition bar, and changed out the brakes to a campagnolo record. Anyways, enough talking , here's what she looks like:

fa63

by fa63

That looks great, well done.

bencolem

by bencolem

Just needs an alloy groupset (Athena?) to be perfect, otherwise beautifully done, a wonderful aesthetic!

soulbike
in the industry

by soulbike

bencolem wrote:Just needs an alloy groupset (Athena?) to be perfect, otherwise beautifully done, a wonderful aesthetic!

ATHENA!!!!??? Nothing touches this other than Record or SR!!!! lol.... anyways I did try this with the new ergopower shapes (SR11) but it just didn't look right

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com