anyone using bikehubstore.com ultralight road hubs?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PBrooks

by PBrooks

Sorry just saw this!
Taiwan, there was about 30-45 seconds of down then up up up finish was at 3275m. But that is off topic. On topic at 66g that front hub is really nice, I just wish the rear could lose some weight but for the price I don't think they can be beat.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

StefanG

by StefanG

It looks like Boyd Wheels use these same hubs. Based on an email exchange with him, he's recently switched from a 68 gram front hub to the slightly heavier 78 gram front hub - strengthening the hypothesis that his hubs are the same as the ones advertised on BikeHubStore. Curious that he switched from the 68g to the 78g hub citing "better quality". Anyone have any clue what would make the 78g hub better than the 68g hub, other than the obvious "more durable because its heavier" claim?

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Seconded where is that?!

Most I know is roughly 2k vert on 40km -- www.gletscherkaiser.at

mises

by mises

...sounds like Haleakala on Maui to me.

EM2

by EM2

uniQ hubs 270g 51 teeth 3 pawls
came with Ti/carbon skewers @43g
199$ free shipping

i'm going to build with sapim c x-ray , 24mm carbon tub 20 holes and 38mm carbon tub 24 holes rims

1100g wheelset for 500 euros
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40103831@N ... hotostream
sub 7kg sub 3k euro

zed

by zed

StefanG wrote:It looks like Boyd Wheels use these same hubs. Based on an email exchange with him, he's recently switched from a 68 gram front hub to the slightly heavier 78 gram front hub - strengthening the hypothesis that his hubs are the same as the ones advertised on BikeHubStore. Curious that he switched from the 68g to the 78g hub citing "better quality". Anyone have any clue what would make the 78g hub better than the 68g hub, other than the obvious "more durable because its heavier" claim?

Larger bearings, wider flange spacing yielding near optimal bracing angle and yet still very affordable. I too have switched my line (Hurricane, Diablo, CrossRock) to this hub for the front, paired with 211 gm rear, a little heavier but worth it 288 gm pfor a hub set is still very good.
http://www.zedwheels.com - wheels made just for you

zed

by zed

prendrefeu wrote:
Stefano wrote:Will the aluminum axle hold up to my 150 lbs?

Your 150lbs will be fine with an aluminum axle. StuTheWeak's experience really, really needs to be marked with an asterisk - he is on the heavier side of things at this time.

+1. I have riders weighing 180+ lbs riding with the alloy axle no problems. Go for it.
http://www.zedwheels.com - wheels made just for you

Irish

by Irish

Dont know why aluminium axels would be a problem, most major manufactures are using them.

StuTheWeak

by StuTheWeak

I can vouch for thick aluminum alxes...in the range of 15mm-17mm in diameter. My Velocity Race hub has a 15mm aluminum axle and my AC 205 hub has a 17mm axle. Little to no "felt" flex in either.

I've ridden thin axles like that found on a Velocity Road hub...only 10mm diameter. I broke it in two with very mild use :(

I only weigh 240lbs in my birthday suit & with an empty stomach...go figure!

If it wasn't for the bearing play in the AC 205...it would be perfect.
Specialized Allez 06' "Rain Bike" 21.50lbs
Neuvation F100 11' "Road Bike" 16.80lbs
Specialized Tarmac Pro 11' "WW Bike" 14.25lbs

righty

by righty

I bought a set of these from ebay recently for £65, build quality looks good, weighed in at 277 grams as advertised which makes a change(most lightweight components seem to be +10% IME :( ).I got them in 24/28 as I didn't fancy a lower drilling than this especially using lighter weight rims, this was backed up by the UK distributor for IRD.
Anyway built the wheels up with IRD Cadence rims, DT Revs and alloy halo nipples, very happy with them freehub is very loud but I like it and being 6 pawl sounds like you are going twice as fast when you freewheel :mrgreen:
1270 grams for about £180 :D :D :D :D :D :D

joeldesgreniers

by joeldesgreniers

I built 3 pairs of wheels with BHS hubs. They are great, but after only a few rides, I noticed some play in the rear hub. The axle is already very tight. I was wondering if anyone had this problem and if so, how did you solve it?

eric

by eric

Make sure the axle end caps are tight. You can fit a 5mm hex into each end cap and tighten them. On my BHS rear hub the NDS end cap kept coming loose. I didn't catch it in time and eventually the hub developed play. The play back and forth damaged one of the internal washers, so when I tightened the end caps down hard there was excess bearing preload. BHS sent me some parts which took care of it. I now loctite the NDS end cap on and crank down pretty hard on it.

I've had the same problem (NDS end cap coming loose) with my powertap hub.

Righty, a bit of light grease on the ratchet cuts down on freehub noise.

Stefano

by Stefano

Hi,

After putting some miles into these hubs, the only remark I have is that they are unremarkable, which is pretty good in my book. No problems, built up smoothly and all. They feel really solid out of the box. I have these laced to some alu rims, total weight around 1500g, and they fly. Good job Brandon for a great product at an affordable price!

Stefano

BobSantini

by BobSantini

The Dati hubs are just a bit more expensive, are a tiny bit lighter and have better flange spacing for conventional (non triplet) lacing. (offsets 32L 19R)
However the freehub seal is a simple O ring rather than a labyrinth and there are only 3 pawls rather than 6. They wont take 11 speed cassettes either.
I have been riding mine for only ~1500 km so far so can't vouch for durability but they are good so far.
Brendan's good to deal with.
r o y g b i v

joeldesgreniers

by joeldesgreniers

Well, actually, the axle is already REALLY tight, but the play is there anyway. Even if i put another spacer inside, the play stays. Looks like the play comes from the axle/bearing interface...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com