Giant Defy Composite

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

istigatrice

by istigatrice

hey guys, I have a new defy composite on its way (hopefully under 2 weeks, warranty replacement for a defy alliance). I haven't even got the bike and I'm already thinking about upgrading :oops: I would like to get it as light as possible with Minimal money spent, here are my specs and plans for them:

Groupset: Shimano Tiagra 4500 groupset (sora brakes) - change to 105 5700
Cockpit: Giant Connect bar/stem - not sure what to do, would like to keep it under $100 here
Saddle: Selle Italia Gel Flow - happy with it, don't want to change
Tyres: Michelin Lithion 2 - don't match my new bike :shock: looking at pro 3 race
Tubes: Vittoria Ultralights - don't want to change if it means more punctures
Wheelset: X-Keymet XR300 (1550g according to my kitchen scales) - I feel these are fine for now
QR: titanium - came with my wheels, 46g on my kitchen scales, don't think I can do much better
Bar Tape: stock Giant stuff, no idea how much weight I can save, and if its worth saving

So basically I want to know if I can get a better bar/stem combo than the Giant Connect for under $100. I think I am pretty limited in terms of groupset choices as I think I need shimano BB71, will be happy to hear more info concerning this :noidea: I also was wondering where the boat anchors on this would be. how light do you guys think I can get this bike? how light do you think I can get it with a max spend of $600? thanks in advance for the help
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ozdavo

by ozdavo

Have a good look at Rival instead of 105... 400g lighter for about the same money
http://totalcycling.com/component-weights.html

Phill P

by Phill P

why didn't you just buy the bike with a better groupset? Replacing things afterwards is far more expensive than buying stock, and then you have better wheels to do what ever you are going to do with the wheels you are getting now.

You probably won't find a lot of difference between the home branded giant bar/stem and any set you can get for $100. However if you do want to look at this there are often good deal from competitive cyclist etc. Be carefull and check if your defy comes with 1 1/4 steer instead of the "standard" 1 1/8. If it does your options will be very limited.

Good tires will make a big difference to how your bike feels.
If you give more spec on the wheels we can then decide if you should get something else. As a suggestion I've just picked up a set of Fulcrum racing 3s off wiggle for $500AUD~$500USD.

Spending your $600 on wheels and tyres will do more for you than spending it on bars and stems.
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

the specs are off my old bike, this is a frame replacement because my old frame, the alliance was cracked. I think I need a shimano groupset because of the Bottom Bracket, says they are only compatible with shimano press-fit, I have no clue what that means. I think my current wheels are as light if not lighter than the racing 3s. I really have no idea where to start shaving weight, and since 500$ is/was going into the groupset, I thought the only other thing I could change was the bars and stem... Is this a case of where I should just start from scratch?

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

TOflat

by TOflat

For what you're doing it doesn't make sense to throw money at it and change a bunch of things off the bat. Build it up, sell it as is while getting a few rides in on it, and upgrade to something like the TCR Advanced 2.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I wish I had the money to do that :( so even if I say I want the most bang for my buck, its still going to be get a new bike?

Phill P

by Phill P

If the tiagra isn't worn out you won't gain much if any speed by spending your $$ on 105. Better off replacing parts as they age. Stepping up to ultegra or 105 cassette when the tiagra wears, and a good chain at the same time. Wait till 11spd dripps further down and update your drivetrain then.

Really the best bang for buck upgrades speed wide are tires and wheels. But still - wear out the lithiums then buy some vittorias (diamante or open corsa)

I assume you already have clipless pedals and shoes?

In the mean time - ride it like you stole it!

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I was thinking of upgrading Tiagra because I always found myself wishing for a 16, but then again I never use the 25 so I could probably go for a 12-23 cassette to tighten things up instead of just adding one cog on... oh and does anyone know of some very light BB86 compatible cranksets/chainsets? That sounds like one place I can save a few hundred, can't wait to ride the bike though

Tomstr

by Tomstr

If I'm correct the BB86 bottombracket should take any Hollowtech II crankset. So you could leave the bearings in place and score a bargain online. Massive weight-drop possible for reasonable money there. :thumbup:
Ride it like you stole it

SDP

by SDP

all of the above

if you after some cranks some s/hand rotor agilis

been some bargains on ebay ..i got a new set for £80

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Got the frame today :D turns out it was a defy advanced :!: :shock: :D it is the 2011 model which is probably why the bike shop thought it was a defy composite as I heard that they use the same mould... can't wait for the rain to go away so I can get a ride in

Tomstr

by Tomstr

It's useful to clean the frame and give it a good carweax before your first ride. It keeps everything shiny and pro! :thumbup:

Have fun with your new bike!

Phill P

by Phill P

sweet! Don't sell it.

You definitely need to put good wheels on that (which are 11spd compatible) then add an ultegra 11spd group next year when it is released.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Tomstr wrote:It's useful to clean the frame and give it a good carweax before your first ride. It keeps everything shiny and pro! :thumbup:

Have fun with your new bike!

I will :D what is this "carweax" stuff? did you mean carwax? can you put that on a carbon frame? this is my first carbon fiber frame, so please let me in on the secrets to maintainence :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tomstr

by Tomstr

:D

Carweax is like carwax, but then really expensive. :wink:

The routine is the same for any bike with a paint coating. First you clean it making it free of grease and sticker residue. Then you apply the protection stickers where the cables rub and then you give it a good wax. Doing this often can really keep your frame (and rims etc) in fine shape. Using carwax is the smartest option given the quality, price and availability.