Riding in the mountains with carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

poppiholla

by poppiholla

Do you guys ride carbon tubular wheels in the mountains any time or only with low carbon rims and in dry conditions?
I would like to use my Fulcrum racing speed XLR 50mm carbon tubulars in the mountains, but I also feel a bit worried when the weather is changing rapidly in the mountains. I can go save and use my Fulcrum racing zero's (I ordered them yesterday) in the mountains, but I love to ride my racing speed carbon tubulars and the lightest setup that I have for my bike.
What would you choose and why?
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NealH

by NealH

Winds can be strong and shift rapidly through gaps and passes. This can be tough on deep rims like 50mm. Also, the braking on carbon rims leaves something to be desired in wet weather on descents. If you can choose the days you ride then this might mitigate the weather risk to a large extent. But if you ride events or races, you won't have this luxury. I like the shallow lightweight aluminum wheels for the mountains, like the Shimano 7900 C24 (or your zeros).

poppiholla

by poppiholla

Thanks....I have to take a close look at the weather forecast before each mountain ride but as you said, the weather changes fast in the mountains.
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

LionelB

by LionelB

I do not like descending in the mountains with deep carbon rims. My limit is around 35/38mm but my favorites are my lower profiles carbon tubs. I find the deeper ones not as easy to "place" and if windy it can be just plain scary.

If potential hard rain is in the forecast I pull out the alum rims and switch pad holders.

I still have not found a carbon rim / brake pad combo that works well in the really wet.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

I ride the crap out of them...

Love the low weight of carb tubulars going up and love the aero on the way back down.

LionelB

by LionelB

CharlesM wrote:I ride the crap out of them...

Love the low weight of carb tubulars going up and love the aero on the way back down.

Mountains? in AZ :beerchug:

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

i wouldn't want any thing else wet or dry..
if its wet you just have to manage the situation differently, using both brakes, scrubbing/warming the rims. braking earlier and less aggressively and keeping the braking to when the bike is upright.. you can still push hard with good tire and pressure choices. also stay away from the swiss stop yellows.

not real nice in the wet or in general

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com