Broken Fork TCR Advanced

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Snabb

by Snabb

Hello

I`m an idiot I know.
I have cut of the steerer tube of my brand new fork on my 2012 TCR Advanced too short.

Shit happens and now it have happend to me :(

It seems that it will take a while to get a new one to Sweden, so do any of you guys know where I can get one online or some other fork that has the same dimensions. A regular 1 1/8 inch won`t fit.

The fork is tapered and 1 1/2 inch at the bottom and 1 1/4 at the top I think.

So now I`m riding my cyclocross and it sucks, the sun is out, it`s 20 degree celsius and I just want to go ride my new bike.
Any help is appreciated. :thumbup:

Ps. it`s ok to laugh :D
Ride lots!

musk3t

by musk3t

How far too short?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Snabb

by Snabb

circa 1,5 cm
Ride lots!

OrPe

by OrPe

If there is enough space to assemble a stem safely,
maybe a riser stem can do the trick meanwhile?

Oren

musk3t

by musk3t

Lots of the TCR's shipped with tall (15mm) top caps. If you can find a shallow one (cane creek will do one) then you can drop stack and should be able to flip stem and get it running. So long as top of steerer is at or above centre line of top bolt of stem clamp, you'll be ok.

I can understand your want to get going. I spent a winter in Uppsala, and summer was over too soon.

daj

by daj

Measure twice, cut once...

Snabb

by Snabb

I have slammed it so I think a new fork is the only way to go...
Ride lots!

mimason

by mimason

I wonder if you can get a fork alone from a Giant dealer somewhere where the frame was crashed but fork ok. I had a warranty issue with my TCR adv sl and giant gave me a whole new frame set yet the fork was perfect. Many lbs's reps are local and they keep the totaled frames at shops if giant does not ask for them back.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

what size is the bike? see if you can find someone who rides a smaller size then you and swap the forks? this is why I hate propriety parts...
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

TOflat

by TOflat

Agreed with mimason. We stock Giant at our shop and the reps to sometimes hang onto parts just for quick warranty fixes.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

does anyone know how much Giant sell those forks for? I really hate this new steerer, a friend of mine couldn't compete in the time trial championships because his aerobars on his TCR advanced sl extended too far out... if it had been a normal steerer, I'm sure someone would have loaned him a 80mm stem...
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

1 1/4 at the bottom, regular 1 1/8 at the top, it is possible to shim a regular 1 1/8 fork at the bottom to work, there is a guy on one of the forums that has done this with Principia's and some Kuota's, he actually sent me a shim when I picked up a Defy frame, but I sourced some suitable Giant forks off Ebay in the end. Keep checking Ebay, loads of other manufacterers use that size, just make sure things like rake and axle to crown are similar.
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD