What's the opposite of weight weenie?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

kbbpll

by kbbpll

This afternoon I was climbing my favorite canyon and overtook a guy near the top of one of the steepest sections. He was shirtless, a tad overweight, on a mountain bike painted camoflage green. As I passed him, I noticed something odd in the frame triangle. Painted the same camo-green, two ten-pound barbell weights on each side of the headtube, bolted through, so that they gripped the top, head, and down tubes, and thus were effectively an integral part of the bike. I couldn't help but remark to him, and his reply was something like "that's my ammunition".

I'm not sure what to call him. To a certain extent, he has my respect, having climbed 2500 feet on that weight-enhanced rig, but on the other hand... :noidea:

Phill P

by Phill P

That is how commando's train for hill climb time trials!

"GET TO THE CHOPPA!"
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BobSantini

by BobSantini

"masochist" maybe
r o y g b i v

lalahsghost

by lalahsghost

I can't imagine doing but a hill climb on that bike. Could you imagine the center of gravity change on that thing...?

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Feed the warrior 20 lbs!!

I think he got the idea from this commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHtFixj0cWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also think hes the guy holding the camouflaged shoes. :lol:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

beardking

by beardking

was he in the granny ring spinning an easy gear?
seems a bit pointless if he was

bricky21

by bricky21

I've seen these guys with added weight before too. I never understood the point. Does the extra weight somehow make you produce more power? Seems like it would just make you slower for the same power.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

The effects are all psychological.
Power outputs would be the same.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

eordman

by eordman

But if it makes you slower doesn't that effectively lengthen the hill? Maybe he just wants to be going up for a long time :noidea:

kbbpll

by kbbpll

I guess the power output could be the same and he'd do more "work". If Lon Haldeman did it, I'm sure not going to criticize.

Arky

by Arky

As Prendrefeu noted, it is psychological. Years ago when I used a bike trailer, I had the same effect. You tend to want to go the same speed as you would without the extra load. You push it harder due to psychology. Plus, you get used to tne load and when you do not have it, you feel like you are having a no chain day.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I think it's more about muscle memory in performing a motion of cycling. Most will likely spin a particular cadence they are accustomed to.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

mjduct

by mjduct

he should just go buy one of these:

http://www.retrospecbicycles.com/

I test rode one thinking it might be a good >300 beat up bike to ride around downtown on and it was such a dog, I figured I'd be faster walking!!!!

ScuderiaDouroux

by ScuderiaDouroux

You must be slow or overly dramatic, then. Even if the bike was 30 pounds I don't see it being that bad...
Long live the horizontal top tube, standard crankset, and Italian threaded bottom bracket.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OJ

by OJ

I would think that the opposite of WW would be the guy who chooses to ride old cheap beater bike and be snobby about it. Or not necessarily being snobby, but making concious choices to downgrade their gear.
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;