SRAM Red 2012 initial impressions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

I got to race my Red group for four days, (before I crashed and cracked my collarbone three weeks ago....) But here's my impression, coming from DA 7900 and had most SRAM, Shimano and Campa groups since 2002 on various bikes, including DA Di2 last season.

Shifters: Super ergonomics, and much alike the Di2 shifters, which was my prior favorite. The lever throw is reduced, compared to the old Red and the brake blades are longer and has a very good position when in the drops.

Front shifting: VERY good, also compared to DA7900. I use Rotor 3D+ and Q-rings, so the normal set-up procedure can't be used, but after a little trial and error, it works perfectly. I think it's the best mechanical front shifting I've tried and not far off Di2.

Rear shifting: Good, fast and direct. Much like the old Red, but a tad more refined and faster.

Brakes: Also very good, with much power and modulation. Like them better than the DA7900.

Can't say anything about the cranks, as I use a Rotor chain set. But just found out that the normal 130bcd Q-rings can be used on the new Red chain set, so maybe I'll give it a try.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

literider

by literider

Can you comment on why you couldn't use the normal set-up instructions with Q-Rings? I am installing the 2012 FD and shifters on a 2011 Red BB30 compact with Q-Rings this weekend, so any tips are appreciated.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

bura wrote:
Sram has no class, no style and I do ask myself : Do some people rate as above because Sram is an American manufacturer? So patriotic thinking in front?

Super dumb comment. The OP Cippo is Canadian btw.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

I must be crazy bc I love my SRAM red.

53x12

by 53x12

bura wrote:I calm down looking at the pictures of new DA 9000. No wonder Shimano sells ten times what Sram does.

So what happened to Campy in your logic?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

CBRE

by CBRE

My evo is being swapped as we speak with the new crank, f&r der and shifters, already had the cassette, pretty stoked to give it a shot.
Curt Brown

2016 Cannondale EVO Etap 13.8#'s
2012 Cannondale Supersix EVO etap 13.7#'s
2017 Cannondale SUPER X Force 16.0#'s
2016 Cannondale FatCad2 28.1#'s
2011 Cannondale Carbon Flash 1 17.9#'s

bura

by bura

Mr.Gib wrote:
bura wrote:
Sram has no class, no style and I do ask myself : Do some people rate as above because Sram is an American manufacturer? So patriotic thinking in front?

Not my fault when people cannot read. :wink:
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

mythical

by mythical

A few months ago I also got to play with the new Red and for the large part I agree with Mario Jr. All the best with the healing process to him.

The '12 Sram Red DoubleTap levers are much better than the older ones, which I rode until being too annoyed by it and switching back to Dura-Ace. Although I never did like 7900 and actually prefer 7800 STI's, the Di2 levers personally felt the best in my rather large hands. Then again, this is completely a case of personal preference.

The Yaw FD is quite something and definitely a great improvement over the previous Red. Too bad the groupset I played with only had the GXP BB. In my experiences with crankset engineering their BB30 is definitely the better crankset of the two, so I recommend that one for a.o. overall stiffness being better, more equal stiffness between arms due to the clamping mechanism in the driveside crank instead of the non-driveside in the GXP version, BB30 also sports improved heel clearance and simply looks better in my opinion. I also like the optics of the rear derailleur, although I haven't noticed much difference in performance.

The cassette is still noisy from what I can tell, despite the elastomer rings between the cogs, but I do believe it shifts better. I also find it an engineering work of art and it looks even more high-tech than the previous Red PowerDome.

As for the brakes, I'm hooked to EEs and therefor no gruppo versions are good enough for my liking. The new Red brakes have a nice action and are grippier than the old ones but I guess this also depends on correct setup.

After only having seen photos, I look much more forward to trying the DA-9000, even though Red is probably still lighter and more tuneable. If I had no choice but to ride '12 Sram Red every day, I definitely wouldn't object. Anyone who rides it and likes it should definitely stick with it, no matter what some of the less diplomatic forum users have written.

It remains to be seen if Sram will introduce a 11-spd groupset in the near future although I reckon they already some product they might already be testing 11-spd prototype parts in extreme obscurity.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

JTKK

by JTKK

literider wrote:Can you comment on why you couldn't use the normal set-up instructions with Q-Rings? I am installing the 2012 FD and shifters on a 2011 Red BB30 compact with Q-Rings this weekend, so any tips are appreciated.

I used normal set-up instructions with Q-rings, but it still needs a little tweaking here and there to make it work perfectly.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

bura wrote:
Mr.Gib wrote:
bura wrote:

Not my fault when people cannot read. :wink:

Oh I read just fine. My position remains: super dumb comment. This is a hard core group - if Sram was no good, the fact that it was American would not elevate it at all with this crowd, something your comment clearly suggests and is logically applicable to the OP...who is Canadian.

More like, it's not my fault that some people can't write. (If English is not your native tongue than of course you get a pass - this time.)
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

lorentz

by lorentz

bonjour

Suite a l'achat et a l'utilisation de nouveaux leviers SRAM RED 2012 une casse est intervenu des la première sortie après seulement 60 kms.La casse s'est produite au niveau du levier droit au niveau de la gâchette de monte et descente des vitesses,et cela en usage normal,pas de chute pas de choc pas de dureté dans la poignée .Démontage donc de la poignée ,renvoie chez le détaillant,et réponse ce matin de SRAM par l’intermédiaire de mon détaillant :

"Il a été soigneusement étudiée par le fabricant, mais il n'y avait pas d'erreurs matérielles détectées.
Selon le fabricant, le levier est rompu définitivement par une force extérieure."

DONC PAS DE PRISE EN GARANTIE
Par contre le détaillant me propose de me faire une offre pour racheter de nouveaux leviers ,mais il ne me dit pas a quel tarif
Je trouve cette réponse de SRAM un peu légère ,et SRAM ne veux ou ne peux pas me changer la gâchette,peut être faute de stock.

welcome

Following the purchase and use a new levers SRAM RED 2012 a break occurred on the first exit after only 60 kms.La breaks occurred at the lever right at the gate goes up and down the speeds, and that in normal use, no drop no shock no hardness in the handle. therefore Dismantling the handle returns to the retailer, and answer this morning SRAM through my retailer:

"It has been carefully studied by the manufacturer, but there were no material errors detected.
According to the manufacturer, the lever is permanently broken by an external force. "

THEREFORE NO GUARANTEE OF GETTING
By me against the retailer proposes to make me an offer to buy new levers, but it does not tell me at what price
I find this response a little slight of SRAM, and SRAM do not want or can not change the trigger may be due to lack of stock.