Turbo issues

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

RMcC

by RMcC

Im trying to figure out a few issues with using a turbo.

Can anyone recommend a good workout for starting out on it? Just want to get a bit leaner and try to get my body fat down along with just generally getting fitter.

Also on my cycle ops magneto+ how do I know when I've got the correct roller/ tyre distance/pressure.
I tried it to start with and it slipped when trying to put in effort and so I tightened it and then it felt like I was cycling with a flat. Any goo tips or techniques for getting it correct?

And I was trying to use my garmin 500 with the gps switched off but I wasn't getting any speed or distance data from the speed sensor but the cadence was working. Any ideas?

Thanks

indigo

by indigo

Can anyone recommend a good workout for starting out on it?

What is your current fitness level, how many kms do you do per week ? If you are a total newb I would just work on outdoor time in the saddle. Otherwise, just steal some Tapeworm plans, as I did. Would also highly recommend sufferfest to relieve boredom.

Currently in a week I plan to do :
[4 X 1] X 3
2 X 20
1 Sufferfest vid
1 early morning + 1 weekend ride into the mountains, around 2-3 hrs.
lunchtime runs, cos its really good for you

Also on my cycle ops magneto+ how do I know when I've got the correct roller/ tyre distance/pressure.

Well I have the fluid, but I found there were some good youtube vids on their site for setting this up.

And I was trying to use my garmin 500 with the gps switched off but I wasn't getting any speed or distance data from the speed sensor but the cadence was working. Any ideas?

Please don't be angry at me for asking which wheel you have the speed sensor on ..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RMcC

by RMcC

I try to do 30 miles in the morning 3 times a week weather permitting which is not often in Scotland, hence trying to get used to the turbo. The 30 miles takes about 1hr 45.
Can you explain the 4x1 etc a bit more in depth? Someone has told me about doing intervals to do with 1 minute efforts but I didn't have a turbo at the time so didnt take it all in. My turbo is currently in the garage but might look into videos once I've convinced the wife to let me have it in the house.

I'll have a look on YouTube about the setup.

The magnet is on the rear wheel but I did start without one as I had changed the rear wheel. Once on though it made no difference even after I cycled the power.

indigo

by indigo

Can you explain the 4x1 etc a bit more in depth?

Well hopefully others a lot more knowledgeable than myself will chime in here, but for me this is :

[4x1] X 3
8 min warmup, start easy spinning, slowly increase and aim to get HR up high at least for say 1 min
[1 min max effort ON + 1 min OFF easy spin (but maintain high cadence)] repeat 4 times. Recover 4 mins, then 2 more sets as before.
Cool down.

[2X20]
warmup as before
20 min effort, at TT pace.
rest 5-10 mins to relieve boredom
20 min effort, at TT pace.
cool down

beardking

by beardking

one thing I would recommend is inflating your rear tyre to the same pressure every time you use the turbo (120psi works for me) setting everything up. do a warm up to get and then doing a coast down for 20mph (or whatever speed) and timing it. try and get the same coast down time every time then you can compare your workouts to each other and see how you're progressing.

my favourite session is
- warm up (then do the coast down then maybe 3-5minutes more of spinning to get ready)
- 7 minutes in as hard a gear as i can hold keeping my cadence at 100rpm
-2 minutes rest
- 6 minutes in the same gear as before but at 102 or 103rpm
-2 minute rest
- 5 minutes same gear again but at 105rpm
-2 minutes rest
- 4 minutes same gear 107-108
- 2 minutes rest
- 3minutes same gear 110
- 2 minutes rest
- 2 minutes same gear 115rpm
- 2 minutes rest
- 1 minute same gear as fast a cadence as possible

there are tons of different things you can do. I like to do as many as possible because riding on a turbo is pretty boring.
and i try never to do long intervals like 20-30 minutes because they just hurt to much and i can hit much bigger numbers outside without feeling as tortured.

this site has some good workouts on it
http://www.flammerouge.je/content/3_fac ... /sh1ts.htm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RMcC

by RMcC

[4x1] X 3
8 min warmup, start easy spinning, slowly increase and aim to get HR up high at least for say 1 min
[1 min max effort ON + 1 min OFF easy spin (but maintain high cadence)] repeat 4 times. Recover 4 mins, then 2 more sets as before.
Cool down.

I think I'll try this first and see how I get on. The timer still works on the garmin so if the other issues are still there I can follow it.