Older CAAD frames, are they smart buys?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jonbek

by jonbek

I've been looking for a 58 CAAD frame for quite some time. The consumer in me wants a CAAD 9 or 10. I'll often find the right size CAAD 8 for sale, for example there is currently a 2006 available for a killer price.

I essentially want to build up a light, reliable training bike, and sometimes I'm concerned about the older frames, their ability to go a few more years, and even their geo compared to current spec CAAD frames.

Should I grab one or wait it out for a 9 or 10?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RussellS

by RussellS

I have CAAD7 and CAAD9 bikes. The 9 looks better since it has round tubes. And a better paint job. The 7 has some more shaped tubes that don't look as good as the round tubes. Rode the 7 frame tonight for 61 miles. Kept up with the group. Can't say the bike held me back. I'd say any CAAD frame from 7 to 10 will be the same. The 8-9-10 look better than the 7. I think they have the exact same geometry. My two CAAD frames are 58cm and they fit the same. Ride the same too.

Edit: Forgot to mention the forks are different. CAAD7 frame has a carbon fork with aluminum steerer tube. CAAD9 frame has carbon fork with carbon steerer. Probably a 100+ gram difference. No ride difference.
Last edited by RussellS on Thu May 17, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

CAAD 9 and 10 :thumbup:

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

I'm a sucker for any of the CAAD frames with BB30, so anything from a 6 upwards is cool, I love the massive down tube on a 6 and a 7 is sweet, especially if you can pick it up in Saeco colours, anodised black or polished alloy 8)
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I heart the 8 in polished silver Cunego Giro winner version, a true classic!

Dov

by Dov

I've been rocking a CAAD5 since 2003. Done maybe 35,000k on it and I'd say it's good for another!
Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

Tokyo Drifter

by Tokyo Drifter

If you want something cool to put on your garage wall, sure.

If you want a bike to ride, no. I am the warranty manager at the biggest c'dale road dealer in the country. The answer is no. Nope. Nein. Most bikes of that era will crack, due to fatigue. The CAAD10 is better than any of the US made bikes ever were in terms of durability, weight and ride quality.

elviento

by elviento

I had a CAAD7 and I am partial to it, but it didn't prevent Astaloa from winning the 2003 worlds, so it should be just fine.

Frankly, manufacturers are always trying to make something better than last year's model. When they fail at that, they just try to make you think it's better than last year's model.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

Dov wrote:I've been rocking a CAAD5 since 2003. Done maybe 35,000k on it and I'd say it's good for another!

Oh you can't do that, bikes of that era will crack due to fatigue :lol:
Ti or dye!

Dov

by Dov

Nonsense
Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

Exactly!
Ti or dye!

53x12

by 53x12

Tokyo Drifter wrote:If you want something cool to put on your garage wall, sure.

If you want a bike to ride, no. I am the warranty manager at the biggest c'dale road dealer in the country. The answer is no. Nope. Nein. Most bikes of that era will crack, due to fatigue. The CAAD10 is better than any of the US made bikes ever were in terms of durability, weight and ride quality.

Rubbish.

jonbek wrote:I've been looking for a 58 CAAD frame for quite some time. The consumer in me wants a CAAD 9 or 10. I'll often find the right size CAAD 8 for sale, for example there is currently a 2006 available for a killer price.

I essentially want to build up a light, reliable training bike, and sometimes I'm concerned about the older frames, their ability to go a few more years, and even their geo compared to current spec CAAD frames.

Should I grab one or wait it out for a 9 or 10?

Another option for you of you haven't thought of it, get a used SystemSix frameset for $400-500.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

ross

by ross

Tokyo Drifter wrote: I am the warranty manager at the biggest c'dale road dealer in the country

At first you were like hurr. And then you derped

AaronT

by AaronT

That depends on the condition of the frame. I am currently racing/riding a CAAD8 from '06 or '07 that was raced by Healthnet, it sat around for 2ish years, I raced it for a year, it sat around for a year, I built it up again and have riden/raced it for a year. After 3 or 4 years of hard use I think it's getting a bit soft, but that is probably me just wanting something new. I am building up a CAAD10 with Force as we speak, but the CAAD8 will remain in the stable as the rain/winter bike.
ross wrote:At first you were like hurr. And then you derped

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AaronT

by AaronT

ross wrote:
At first you were like hurr. And then you derped

You mind if that goes in my sig?
ross wrote:At first you were like hurr. And then you derped