disc brakes discs sizes

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

michel2

by michel2

i bought a set of hope mini x2 and thought i could use them with my old 160 avid rotor's...but no can do, i have a postmount fork aswell as postmount calipers but i got a pair of 160 and 185 mm rotor's but none of them will work ??

what am i doing wrong ??

thanks mick

joeyruan
in the industry

by joeyruan

So what is going on? anybody know?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mikeyg

by mikeyg

What size rotor is the fork mounts for? How much do they not work by? is the calliper a few mm from the mounts or much more? Is it just the fork it doesnt mount on or the frame as well? Rear IS disc mounts tend to be for 140mm rotor where the front is 160mm, or if you get a 160mm IS-Post mount adapter for the front, when used on the rear it will be for 140mm.

VTBike

by VTBike

michel2 wrote:i bought a set of hope mini x2 and thought i could use them with my old 160 avid rotor's...but no can do, i have a postmount fork aswell as postmount calipers but i got a pair of 160 and 185 mm rotor's but none of them will work ??

what am i doing wrong ??

thanks mick

Well, the 185mm definitely won't work without an adapter. Generally front brakes/forks are setup to run 160mm; and anything else requires a manufacturer specific adapter. My rear post mount is setup for 160mm; but as the other poster said, there may be occasions where a rear mount is setup for 140mm. What mount are you using for front - IS or post? And then like the other poster said, what exactly is the problem? "Not working" doesn't give us enough information to tell you what's wrong.

02GF74

by 02GF74

michel2 wrote:i bought a set of hope mini x2 and thought i could use them with my old 160 avid rotor's...but no can do, i have a postmount fork aswell as postmount calipers but i got a pair of 160 and 185 mm rotor's but none of them will work ??

what am i doing wrong ??

you need to tell us what you are doing otherwise it is pure guess work.
is the rotor too big or too small? is the calliper fouling or rubbing on the rotor?