Fulcrum Racing Zero vs. Mavic Ksyrium SLR

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sh33mon

by sh33mon

Interesting to see all these pro fulcrum responses. Was under the impression that it wasn't quite up to mavic par.

frew8020

by frew8020

A wheel rolls on the hub and freehub. Many wheel makers forget this (especially Mavic). Fulcrum hubs and freehubs are far better than Mavic equivalants. Take my word for it as I have owned many sets of Fulcrum and Mavic wheels and Fulcrum is a clear winner especially in the freehub/hub.
Mavic rims and spokes are OK, they just build awful freehubs and Ok hubs!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zachariah

by Zachariah

frew8020 wrote:A wheel rolls on the hub and freehub. Many wheel makers forget this (especially Mavic). Fulcrum hubs and freehubs are far better than Mavic equivalants. Take my word for it as I have owned many sets of Fulcrum and Mavic wheels and Fulcrum is a clear winner especially in the freehub/hub.
Mavic rims and spokes are OK, they just build awful freehubs and Ok hubs!!

Agree...I had Mavic Ksyrium Elite, Ksyrium SL and Ksyrium ES - and I always felt like much continued effort was needed, to keep them at speed. Yes, they spin-up very fast...but they all decelerate rather quickly too.

It only took just ONE RIDE to impress me, when I first rode the Campagnolo Shamal Ultra. OMG...
Due to the urging of all the ladies...I do NOT shave my legs!

Kiwirich

by Kiwirich

I have a pair of the black label zeros - they are fantastic, ceramic bearings mean they roll very well. They are also bulletproof, especially for someone who is testing the upper weight limits.

I don't have any problems getting the tyres on & off - currently using 4000Ss.

They are a lot better than my Mavic SLs, but they were twice the price.
Colnago C59
Canyon CF 9.0

ticou

by ticou

I agree. When my elites bite the dust or corrode with dust forgotten in my cabinet while I run basic campags to get some sodding wheel circulatory movement for more than 4 seconds when i give it a spin, it's tatty bye bye's to the folks in Annecy. Lovely town mind.

airwise

by airwise

Wow this place has a downer on Mavic. Always has had.

I've got currently about six sets varying in age up to about ten years old. Never needed any work save the odd tightening. Never needed truing. Never broken a spoke. And I can get tyres on an off without recourse to added gym work and multiple tyre levers. Wow I wish I could say the same of some of the other boutique manufacturers I see hyped on the internet so often.

Take your pick at the end of the day but do ask yourself why Mavic have been so successful for so long.In a recent Top Velo test for instance the Mavics were stiffer laterally, required less effort to spin up, and suffered less deformation and brake rub than anything from Zipp, Fulcrum or Campag. They are not bad wheels at all. Certainly not as bad as this place would have you believe.

frew8020

by frew8020

Hey I'm not a downer on Mavic. I have owned probably over 10 sets of them over the last 10 odd years (most often have come on bikes purchased) . I often find people who defend Mavic like yourself, do so because of exactly what you have said. They have had a set of Elites or SL's, done 10,000 kms on them and had no issues with them. Thats great! Its just once you have had the chance to ride some other wheelsets (in this case Fulcrum) you really do realise the difference in the enginerring on the hubs. I have serviced Mavic and Fulcrum wheels and believe me there is NO comparison in the quality of build and design between them. Some top end Mavic models only had one bearing in the freehub, or did you realise some of there top end wheels the freehub runs on a nylon bush!! Thats just criminal engineering. Built to go on Giants and Jamis etc, but not to last in that case.
To be fair your right about Mavics testing stiff, building strong light rims etc, but give me a great hub and I will go from there.
BTW I am just comparing Mavic to Fulcrum there are other great wheels out there too.

sawyer

by sawyer

To be fair some of their wheels are good - CCUs, CCs etc.

It's more that the OP asked about Ksyriums which are the weakest in the Mavic range vs. the competition. I've owned most of the high end clincher wheelsets over the past 10 years and although they are stout, the Ksyriums are a joke compared to DA C24s for ride quality, hub quality, and no doubt aerodynamics also.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Mavic is extremely good at marketing - there's no denying that the Ksyrium SLR is a fantastic looking wheelset and most of their designs appear to give considerable thought to aesthetics.

It's just a shame that the weights are unremarkable for the money, the parts mostly proprietary, and the hubs meh.

ticou

by ticou

There is a third way with Mavic; they want you to have a good work out! We'll get you up to speed, they say, but then you have to put the work in, ergo, you'll lose weight quickly, while those poor sods on Campag/Fulcrum will come back from their rides just as podgy as they began.

Tricky1

by Tricky1

I wonder if I got a bad set of Fulcrum's? Seems to many fans here of their freehubs, but mine has nagging, intermittent pawl slippage that needs repair. No reply from Fulcrum, but I've found a reliable lead elsewhere. Tire mounting is a pain too. Hoping for the best in the long run with these once the freehub is fixed.

Loved my SSC SL's however! Bullet proof and very reliable for years. I'd love to have them back (thief needed them more :x ). So far in my experience I prefer the Mavic's, but I will say both wheelsets are strong and can handle miles and miles of punishment.

poppiholla

by poppiholla

Thanks for all the info guys. I decided to buy the Fulcrum racing zero's. I think I will buy the black/white edition althought the black edition looks great as well. I think they will look both superb in my Tarmac Sl4 S-works when the weather is not good enough for my Fulcrum Racing speed XLR set (superb wheelset by the way).
The zero's are also better priced. The Mavic ksyrium SLR looks sharp and great, but in total the zero's are the best deal and wheelset in my opinion. :D
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

sawyer

by sawyer

Tricky1 wrote:I wonder if I got a bad set of Fulcrum's? Seems to many fans here of their freehubs, but mine has nagging, intermittent pawl slippage that needs repair. No reply from Fulcrum, but I've found a reliable lead elsewhere. Tire mounting is a pain too. Hoping for the best in the long run with these once the freehub is fixed.

Loved my SSC SL's however! Bullet proof and very reliable for years. I'd love to have them back (thief needed them more :x ). So far in my experience I prefer the Mavic's, but I will say both wheelsets are strong and can handle miles and miles of punishment.

Sounds unusual. What model of Fulcrums were they?
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Tricky1

by Tricky1

sawyer wrote:
Tricky1 wrote:I wonder if I got a bad set of Fulcrum's? Seems to many fans here of their freehubs, but mine has nagging, intermittent pawl slippage that needs repair. No reply from Fulcrum, but I've found a reliable lead elsewhere. Tire mounting is a pain too. Hoping for the best in the long run with these once the freehub is fixed.

Sounds unusual. What model of Fulcrums were they?

Racing 3 two way fit.

poppiholla

by poppiholla

I ordered the Fulcrum racing zero black/white edition. The weight, the comfort on bad roads and the all round capabilities made me go for this wheelset. :mrgreen:
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com