Veloflex Master 23 vs S-Works Turbo vs Michelin PRO4 Comp

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Privateer

by Privateer

airwise wrote:Two that came out very favourably in the Le Cycle test of 80 tyres last year were the Maxxis Radiale All and the Bontrager R4 with latex tube.

Do you have a link to the Le Tour test?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

airwise

by airwise

Sorry Privateer, Le Cycle do not have their magazine articles available in electronic form as far as I know.

The results of an 80 tyre test were interesting and published last year.

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

I've used the masters and carbons for the last three years and loved them. Recently I have been riding my winter wheels with paves and tubulars with vitt sc's. When I put the masters back on my training wheels recently I noticed the ride was much more harsh then the other two I have been using, which is to be expected certainly.

I've recently been using some Mavic tires which I was given to try and I noticed right off how much better they feel compared to the veloflexes, which I was afraid to admit due to my love for them. When I looked at the two tires inflated, it made sense because these Mavic tires are much larger then the masters.

So the moral of the story is that the 23mm masters are probably the best things going. I know oschner USA got a shipment in a couple months back, so you can probably score a set from your lbs. Are they doing the roubaix/arenberg in clincher? That would be my choice.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

Mdrnizd

by Mdrnizd

743power wrote:I've used the masters and carbons for the last three years and loved them. Recently I have been riding my winter wheels with paves and tubulars with vitt sc's. When I put the masters back on my training wheels recently I noticed the ride was much more harsh then the other two I have been using, which is to be expected certainly.

So the moral of the story is that the 23mm masters are probably the best things going.

I'm confused...are you saying the Veloflex Masters are a harsher ride than your Vittoria's and not as good as your Mavic's, but you still think they are the best tire going? Sorry, I may have just misunderstood your post.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Are they doing the roubaix/arenberg in clincher? That would be my choice.

I don't think so but with the current fad for fatties you never know.... :mrgreen:

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

airwise wrote:Two that came out very favourably in the Le Cycle test of 80 tyres last year were the Maxxis Radiale All and the Bontrager R4 with latex tube.

Wow... that's interesting. I have Radiales and I was worried that their rolling resistance was high.

I know it would be a huge amount of work for all 80 tires... but any chance you could summarize the results? Just a list of tires and the scores they achieved... and a bit of the test protocol. Should probably start a thread, if you do. I'm sure many people would be interested.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Here's the cover of the mag in question:

As it (unfortunately happens) I binned that mag about a week ago while reducing the pile of papers next to the bed.... :oops:

Anyhow, keep in mind that those tests are nowhere near as rigid as Tour's tests. When they say "best" read it as whatever felt best to them. I'm not even sure they carried out a RR test...

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

bones

by bones

Specialized has done a lot do R&D into tire width, comfort, and rolling resistance. There newer tires are a huge upgrade to the tires that they previously had that were not really comparable to the popular tire choices from Milchelin, Continental, etc. I would definitely put them near the top of the list.

I find Veloflex tires to be highly overrated. I think they have this Italian mystique thing going on and people get all attached to that. They are not very puncture resistant and the ride isn't all that. Anyone arguing otherwise is F.O.S.

I like the Michelin tires, but I think their Pro4 model is actually a step down from their older Pro3 series. Their marketing schpeel about improved cornering seems like just hype and it's more expensive than the older Pro3 tire, which I thought was quite comfortable in the 23mm width I was using.

sawyer

by sawyer

Mdrnizd wrote:
743power wrote:I've used the masters and carbons for the last three years and loved them. Recently I have been riding my winter wheels with paves and tubulars with vitt sc's. When I put the masters back on my training wheels recently I noticed the ride was much more harsh then the other two I have been using, which is to be expected certainly.

So the moral of the story is that the 23mm masters are probably the best things going.

I'm confused...are you saying the Veloflex Masters are a harsher ride than your Vittoria's and not as good as your Mavic's, but you still think they are the best tire going? Sorry, I may have just misunderstood your post.

LOL. A non-sequiter yes.

I inferred the poster felt a wider master would make it the best tyre going. Though without him/her riding the tyre and comparing it to others I can't attach any weight to that. Smacks more of wishful thinking.

I've been annoyed by how good the schwalbe ultremo zx in clincher format is. I didn't want to like it, and it's as ugly as sin, but I can't think of a clincher tyre that combines ride quality, apparent low RR, and puncture resistance as well.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

KWalker

by KWalker

The new Specialized tires are great. I've ridden everything under the sun and find that the Turbo Pros are about the same as or even a bit better than the Pro Race 4s (same performance but significantly lower price), however, the S-Works version doesn't really ride much better and isn't as puncture resistant. The Roubaixs and Roubaix Aramadillos are great training tires and, to me, ride better than anything from Conti and close to the Turbos in the same width. This probably has to do with the fact that a 23/25 tends to caliper at 26.5 with Hed rims, but I've had the same pair for 6 months and put between 13-20 hrs a week on them and they're still going strong with 0 punctures.

In terms of riding in the wet, the Roubaixs are my favorite tire. I found that Veloflexes weren't that great in the wet although I loved them in the dry. To me good cornering has a lot to do with ability, weight distribution on the bike, and technique, but I feel more sure footed on the Roubaix in the wet than any other tire.

In dry conditions I find that the Turbos/Pro Race 4's feel as if they roll faster, but I can't quantify that. They're slightly less supple, but I love the way that they corner. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the choices, but FWIW I've never had more punctures than with Veloflexes/Vittorias although I love them otherwise.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

mriddle

by mriddle

QUOTE from "bones"

"I find Veloflex tires to be highly overrated. I think they have this Italian mystique thing going on and people get all attached to that. They are not very puncture resistant and the ride isn't all that. Anyone arguing otherwise is F.O.S."

You just lost whatever small amount of credibility you may have had....

mclaren

by mclaren

1+ on the schwalbes. Impressive and cheap if buying from online uk dealers.

KLabs

by KLabs

sawyer wrote: I've been annoyed by how good the schwalbe ultremo zx in clincher format is. I didn't want to like it, and it's as ugly as sin, but I can't think of a clincher tyre that combines ride quality, apparent low RR, and puncture resistance as well.

If you like the schwalbe ultremo zx then may also like the Conti Force/Attack :-)

From the point of PR, LRR, and durability, then the Kenda Kaliente is worth considering, but it is not a comfortable tyre until it has done about 2K or 3K kms :-)

sawyer

by sawyer

KLabs wrote:
sawyer wrote: I've been annoyed by how good the schwalbe ultremo zx in clincher format is. I didn't want to like it, and it's as ugly as sin, but I can't think of a clincher tyre that combines ride quality, apparent low RR, and puncture resistance as well.

If you like the schwalbe ultremo zx then may also like the Conti Force/Attack :-)

From the point of PR, LRR, and durability, then the Kenda Kaliente is worth considering, but it is not a comfortable tyre until it has done about 2K or 3K kms :-)

Have used Force/Attack, and 2x Force (a good combo for rougher roads). Agree they are good. though not the Kenda.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

mrfish

by mrfish

Hard to go wrong with one of the tyres listed here and proven by many WWs. Note that your local roads may not be exactly the same as those of the Continental road roller resistance tester, and your local mud / stone / flint / glass mix may also differ, so choose what works for you and your riding colleagues. Also remember that rubber is a natural product, so tyres do vary per batch, so it is possible that your bad experience with brand x may be a one-off.

Tyres I tried (best to worst):
- Veloflex Carbon. Good all rounder. Very nice summer ride, better wet grip and slime grip than Vittorias despite similar look. Fair price, easy to put on, looks good...It does puncture from flints now and again if you ride it in the winter, but I ride on gravel tracks now and again, so that's a trade off I accept.
- Michelin Pro Race 2 / 3. 2s were best as they were a bit more durable than 3s. 4s I've not tried. Always gripped well in wet / slimy UK conditions. Normally died from cuts. Ride the Pro 2 25mm on my tandem and they are great. Nasty colours.
- Vittoria Corsa CX. Nice summer tyre, feels nice to ride. Particularly good on Italian broken tarmac. But cuts easily. Wet grip, especially in UK slime not so good.
- Conti GP or Attack / Force. Gives a slightly bouncy ride which makes it feel slow. Actually not slow according to Conti and all magazine tests. Grips well. Tends to square off when worn. A few GBP more expensive than others.
- Cheap vittorias. Did not keep their shape on turbo. Wet grip marginal. Avoid.
- Bontrager Race XXX Hardcase 27mm. Barely wore after 2 years riding. No punctures despite London commute. Dangerously un-grippy in the wet (crash). Horrible solid-tyre ride. Only buy if you can't change punctures. And gatorskins can't be worse.
- Schwalbe ZX I think it was. Fast in the dry and light, but dangerous. Sidewall cut on each tyre, then it exploded. Wet grip would be OK, then suddenly non-existent. Don't touch with a long pole. Nasty colours.

Bottom line, I try to buy 5x Veloflexes when they are on offer as they ride best, with close to best grip in all conditions and look like traditional tyres not something the graphic design department made up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com