pc7 like mount for Garmin 500?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RaceWareDirect
in the industry

by RaceWareDirect

literider wrote:I'm thinking of getting one made like this for the 800.

I have now produced a CAD model for the double clamp mount so if you think you would like to try one then send me a PM and maybe we could work something out.

Martyn
Attachments
800 Double Clamp.jpg
2011 Track Masters World Champion
Cervelo T3
Colnago CX-1
S works shiv
Specialized Tarmac SL5 Di2
Specialized epic comp

timzcat

by timzcat

Wwhen did you change to the ribbed design? Of course I ask because you just sent me an email like a day ago that you were shipping my mount.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RaceWareDirect
in the industry

by RaceWareDirect

timzcat wrote:Wwhen did you change to the ribbed design? Of course I ask because you just sent me an email like a day ago that you were shipping my mount.

Hi Tim,

The design has not been totally changed to a ribbed design as yet, at present is a new version which is being tested for riders who want extra stiffness for riding rough roads. It was originally being designed for the MTB riders the team that I race with.

I cannot be sure as to which one I have shipped to you as I dont always know the real names of the users on here but I believe you had asked for a stiff version and in which case you should be receiving a ribbed version. If you dont get one then let me know and I will certainly swap it over free of charge if you find the one you get not stiff enough.

Martyn
Cervelo T3
Colnago CX-1
S works shiv
Specialized epic comp

irf3

by irf3

I was browsing the velonews gallery from this year's ATOC. There are a couple interesting looking Garmin mounts. First is on Lucas Euser's bike, clearly the 500 is sitting in front of the stem. Then there's Talansky's stem, looks like an 800 on a mount.

Rippin

by Rippin

Looks like a Barfly on Talansky's bars.
____o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)

bricky21

by bricky21

They both look like the bar fly to me. I have one and do like it alot. It' well made and very sturdy. I don't mind that the 500 sits higher than the bars, as it seems it would be difficult to operate while riding if it didn't. The only thing that I don't like is the already referenced lack of any sort of click when the head unit is turned into the mount. Time will tell if it is a real problem, but so far so good after about 3 weeks of riding. :thumbup:

Rippin

by Rippin

Actually I retract my comments on the Barfly being too tight a fit with the Garmin 500. One pet peeve I have with the original Garmin mount is that when I pressed any of the side buttons on the computer it would unlock the computer from the mount. Not so with the Barfly.
____o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)

lalahsghost

by lalahsghost

It's been a week with my mount, and the mount is slipping quite a bit now. The inner diameter of the mount is 30.7-30.8mm, when I clamp it, plastic touches plastic, so it's clamped as much as it can be. I'm using a Ritchey WCS Classic bar, and within a minute or so of roughly paved or "unpaved" roads, the mount rotates 90 degrees. This happens about eight to ten times on a 25 mile ride, and has eaten away my WCS stripes paint on the handlebar :( :( :(

I think the inner diameter needs to be modified to 30mm, so the mount can be homogenous to more bars. I'm going to wrap a layer or two of electrical tape, then remount the clamp over it, to increase outer diameter of my bars.

This will be an easy fix for racewaredirect to do in autocad/(whatever software), no?

TheDoc

by TheDoc

It was a barfly on Talansky's bike. I was there!

bricky21

by bricky21

lalahsghost wrote: when I clamp it, plastic touches plastic

Just remove the screw and file away a bit of plastic. That will allow you to tighten it up more.

Liggero

by Liggero

Has anyone already used teh RaceWare mount for the Garmin 500 for a long time? does it work properly? any complaints? does it vibrates? is it easy to read? is it worthy to buy it? I need 30 of these for a team order and I need to know how they perform before ordering. Thanks.
Happy Trails !!!

bearsdidit
Shop Owner

by bearsdidit

i've sold over 10 barflys to customers and I haven't had a complaint or issue with build quality or slippage. I've had my own for two weeks and I've been really happy with it.

RaceWareDirect
in the industry

by RaceWareDirect

Thanks for the comments regarding the slipping of the 500 mount. I agree it would be an easy CAD fix to offset the diameter, however having tried a few options it seems that a small piece of rubber under the mount works the best. We are now supplying all our mounts with this rubber shim and are confident this will resolve the slipping issue.

Martyn
Cervelo T3
Colnago CX-1
S works shiv
Specialized epic comp

ms6073

by ms6073

RaceWareDirect wrote:We are now supplying all our mounts with this rubber shim and are confident this will resolve the slipping issue.

Martyn, I know this is probably a long shot due to the small cross secrion of end users but any chance of getting that mount manufacturered for use with integrated bars such as the FSA Plasma Integrated?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

RaceWareDirect
in the industry

by RaceWareDirect

Hi Michael,

More than happy to help and would love to get a bracket that will work with integrated bars. Raceware direct was formed to supply niche products to small groups of cyclists so this type of products is ideal. Do you have any idea of how you would like it to mount and where you would like the 500 unit to sit in relation to the bars and stem?

I look forward to hearing from you and all being well we should be able to have a first off prototype within 2 - 3 weeks.

Martyn
Cervelo T3
Colnago CX-1
S works shiv
Specialized epic comp

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com