How comfortable is your CAAD 10?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

soxiam

by soxiam

I'm interested in getting a CAAD 10, but I am concerned about its ride. Now, I know your opinions are bound to be subjective but that's what I'm after. I'd appreciate it if the owners can chime in with their own experiences and how it compares to other bikes they've owned.

I'm one of the biggest comfort-whores around. I ride my Colnago master carbon with 90 psi and given up on riding my custom Vertigo Ti because it's simply too harsh. The last alu ride I had was Pinarello Prince with carbon seat stays 10 years ago. That bike barely passed my comfort test. I could suffer few hours on it but I never felt good riding it. So I know a little bit about how steel rides differently from aluminum, Ti or carbon.

On the comfort level, I'd say Colnago master and Look 585 were two of the most comfortable bikes I've owned.

I'd love to hear your subjective evaluation of how you think a guy like my might get on with a CAAD 10.

Thanks.

irf3

by irf3

Think I can be some help. I rode on a CAAD10 all spring and my bike before that was the Look 585 Ultra from 2009. I can say the CAAD10 was a much better bike. The Look was the ultra version and supposed to be extra stiff over the normal version. I really felt the extra, it was a harsh ride. I usually ride decent roads but I'll find myself on pothole paths. I felt them, the ride was teeth chattering but I still liked it.

The CAAD was awesome. It was so much smoother. They have the save-system chainstays that are flat and compliant and the seatstays are thin. It doesn't sacrifice stiffness where it matters though, it never felt noodly under me.

Overall, the CAAD10 is one of my favorite frames. I've got a new frame for the summer because of team sponsors but I'm keeping the CAAD as my personal ride. I'm not sure if it matters to you but I also did my fair share of crashing this year, went down hard a few times. Besides a couple scrapes, there are no dents or structural problems. It's super reliable and durable.

Hope that helps!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

soxiam

by soxiam

Super helpful. Thanks! I test rode 585 Ultra and 595 Origin so I do know what you mean. I too found them both harsh, at least noticeably so for me compared to 585. Were there any aspects of CAAD 10 you thought were worse than Look? Road chatter? Big bumps? Or would you rate it higher than 585 Ultra across the board in terms of comfort?

irf3

by irf3

Moving from the Look to the CAAD, the only thing I lost was some Italian sex-appeal. I gained some sweet Americana though. In all seriousness, I rate the CAAD superior in every way. Being aluminum I thought is was going to be harsh but I was pleasantly surprised and would choose it first every time. The geometry was also a better fit for me overall.

bikejam

by bikejam

I just got one a few weeks ago and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. I have ridden Giant TCR Advanced SL's for several years and most recently a Wilier Cento 1 for the past year. The CAAD10 really holds it's own - it is very comfortable and handles great.

53x12

by 53x12

I own a Look 595 Ultra. That bike is way more comfortable than the CAAD9 I own and the CAAD10s I have test ridden. No comparison. It is something about the lugs, the high modulus carbon used and the integrated seat mast with elastomers. The CAAD10 is not even comparable in regards to comfort. The 595 Ultra is like being in a Cadillac compared to the CAAD10. YMMV.

Each person will have their own opinion. The CAAD10 is a great bike. No doubt. But if comfort is #1 I would personally look elsewhere. Better yet take it for a test ride on your favorite route. That will let you know for sure.

irf3 wrote:Moving from the Look to the CAAD, the only thing I lost was some Italian sex-appeal. I gained some sweet Americana though. In all seriousness, I rate the CAAD superior in every way. Being aluminum I thought is was going to be harsh but I was pleasantly surprised and would choose it first every time. The geometry was also a better fit for me overall.

Except for the fact that the Look is French and not Italian.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

irf3

by irf3

53x12 wrote:
irf3 wrote:Moving from the Look to the CAAD, the only thing I lost was some Italian sex-appeal. I gained some sweet Americana though. In all seriousness, I rate the CAAD superior in every way. Being aluminum I thought is was going to be harsh but I was pleasantly surprised and would choose it first every time. The geometry was also a better fit for me overall.

Except for the fact that the Look is French and not Italian.

That was a stupid brain-fart, thanks for the correction.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

notsoswift

by notsoswift

No french sex, replace with Flair
I own an old 461HR, was not impressed when I tried a 595, though it did have the black seat post not the softer red one
Responsive, but couldn't get comfortable (size/geometry wasn't as good for me either)