The paradox of clinchers. Can you explain why ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

notsoswift

by notsoswift

mgordon wrote:So what tires do you like with reasonable puncture resistance that are still fast and race-y?

Do people like Schwalbe Ultremo tubulars?

I can't say I have enough of a reference for lightweight tubs,
I like Conti Competions, and Sprinter Gatorskins, neither are as Racey as the CX, The CX is fine with pitstop and if you make sure you inspect the tread after each ride for cuts and grit, then just put a dob of glue in any splits.
I think I should probably change tyres for my next set, thing is I usually swap fronts and backs at different times and I wouldn't want to mix front and back.
I will need to replace the trainers next, so might try ... CG Pave's or a Veloflex?

Geoff

by Geoff

For sure, pinch-flats will get you every time with clinchers. Are those the flats you are experiencing?

I almost never flat from a penetration-type puncture (I usually have a bit of time to brush away anything I ride over before it works its way throught he casing and tube), but there is no chance with a pothole that you can't see. A tubular is much less likely to flat in those circumstances. I only weigh 60-odd kg, but have had my fair share of pinch-flats during a long-term clincher test (over now, next up: tubeless).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gumgardner

by gumgardner

I'm having significantly better luck with my tubulars. Makes me hesitant to ever go back to clinchers.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well folding gator skins do roll reaonably well and only weigth ~230g. I can say after riding with them for the last 1000+ miles I quite like them as I have not puntured yet.

AaronT

by AaronT

They are strong, reasonably light for a belted tire, but I'd hesitate to say they roll well from the feel or from the rolling resistance charts.
Last edited by Frankie - B on Mon May 14, 2012 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed the quote
ross wrote:At first you were like hurr. And then you derped

notsoswift

by notsoswift

Nothing makes you a fan of a tyre quicker than not getting punctures :thumbup: (and the converse too :evil: )

I wouldn't have thought they are that light though, without doing a search I would have thought quite a bit more.
I have them on my old bike (even though the tyres are only 1 season old) and have also used the Tubs

Roobay

by Roobay

I only ever run clintchers in winter or on holiday, whenever possible i ride tubs, if you so happen to get a puncture you can still ride them to a certain degree, i have been unlucky with tubs in the past , but i now feel i have found ones that are less prone to punctures, and (touch wood) i havent had one for ages :lol:
i like people... i just can't stand assholes

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Good call.

I had a solid clincher shod rolling 65 miler on Sunday and no punctures which is nice. The sun was out too! As per my opening gambit, evidence tells me that tubs flat less, but ultimately, it may be luck as I know a couple of lads who migrated to tubs and punctured lots.

I think the difference with a clincher is that at some point you will puncture so be prepared, where as with a tub you more than likely wont. Cant stand having pockets of kit so I simpy ue an empty water bottle to carry stuff.
Last edited by Frankie - B on Mon May 14, 2012 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed the quote

KWalker

by KWalker

I haven't flatted a clincher since October, but I also ride a decently beefy (Specialized Roubaix 25c) training clincher. I never seem to get pinch flats, but live in an area with far too much road debris to ride tubs because punctures are fairly common. I almost never run clinchers in races unless its pissing rain because the roads are good enough outside of the city to not have any worries.

For me its about tires. I've never flatted a Pro 3 Race/Turbo Pro or any Specialized tire so I keep using them. I loved my Vittorias, but my Paves seemed to flat a lot and my Corse Evos were amazing, but didn't last long enough to use as a training tire. Contis have been nothing but flat city for me even the Gatorskins. I also run 25s with 23mm wide rims and pinch flats haven't been an issue despite riding and racing on close to 500mi of gravel this year.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

bones

by bones

Tubulars are for the rich and famous. Poor people ride clinchers and I like to buy my patch kits from my local Walmart for a fraction of the price of my snobby local bike shop.

BmanX

by BmanX

HERE HERE.

After I bought my custom frame, EDGE carbon clinchers and customized everything on my build I do not have much money left.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Roobay

by Roobay

bones wrote:Tubulars are for the rich and famous. Poor people ride clinchers and I like to buy my patch kits from my local Walmart for a fraction of the price of my snobby local bike shop.

Well what did everyone do before the clincher was invented
sorry but its the manufacturers who have hiked up the price
but i do agree that the likes of FMB and Dugast and Veloflex the prices make me wince :shock:
i like people... i just can't stand assholes

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

As for roilling resistance of gator skins the charts show them to somehere in the middle. Plenty of better tyres (in terms of roilling resistance) but plently of worse ones inclusing the Conti attack and force. I did say they roll "reasonanly well" as well.

GP4000's do roll well and are lighter and have some puncture resistance. These would make sense if 230g is too much.

AaronT

by AaronT

I like a gatorskin or other belted tire in the winter when there is more junk on the road, but I switch to a GP4000S or Rubino Pro for summer training. The group rides get faster and those tires seem to roll a bit easier. But I don't think about it too much, I race on Vittoria or Challenge tubs.
ross wrote:At first you were like hurr. And then you derped

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CBRE

by CBRE

I have nothing but troubles with clinchers, tubi's for me only since 1984.
Curt Brown

2016 Cannondale EVO Etap 13.8#'s
2012 Cannondale Supersix EVO etap 13.7#'s
2017 Cannondale SUPER X Force 16.0#'s
2016 Cannondale FatCad2 28.1#'s
2011 Cannondale Carbon Flash 1 17.9#'s