Super Record or Enve 25's...best spent $2500

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bman11

by bman11

As the title states, I'm looking at two possible upgrades. Either Campy Super Record (currently Record 10) or Enve 25's with Alchemy hubs. I know that I won't be disappointed with either, I'm just looking for different opinions. I ride approx 150 miles a week, and I don't race. My current bike is a Colnago CX1-1 that weighs 15.1 lbs. I appreciate the anticipated advice/comments.
Just dig in and climb it!!!

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

What are your current wheels?

In my opinion, older groupsets shift almost as good as newer ones. Newer ones are of course a bit lighter. The ergonomics of the newer Campy levers is a bit better than yours. The carbon 10-spd Record groups is still one of my favourite groupsets of all time. Together with DA 9-spd

If it were up to me I would always spend my money on upgrading wheels, assuming you already have a great groupset (which you have). New better wheels have an advantage that you can actually notice.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bman11

by bman11

Thanks for the response. I have a set of Reynolds DV46UL clinchers, Mavic Ksyrium ES, and Edge 2.38 tubulars. I'm very happy all of my equipment, just looking to treat myself to an upgrade.
Just dig in and climb it!!!

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Also keep in mind that an SR groupset can be had for something of a discount on your suggested price with a wee bit of effort.

Having said that, I would keep you Record 10 and get a set of Enve wheels.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

kac

by kac

Keep the Record 10 (a genuine classic!) and get the new wheels. I was faced with the same decision and opted for Alchemy hubs with Kinlin rims for routine, trouble-free use; kept my Record and I'm quite content with the results.

KAC

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Assuming you already have some deep(er) aero wheels, I vote you get the shallow Enves.
I'd love to own a set ... maybe cross-shop some new Zipp 202's to see if they're a better buy.

If your groupset is more than a couple years old, just re-cable it and call it good. Investgate Alligator I-links and mini links and/or Yokazuna.

Happy shopping! Looking forward to your "what did you buy" post.

notsoswift

by notsoswift

Wait a little, buy a M10

tommasini

by tommasini

Life's short.....consider treating yourself to both? :beerchug:

You have a great but older group and several very good wheelsets...... 11 gears vs 10 - not a huge change for the rolling terrain around here for me.....but then again if you get to hillier areas the extra range afforded is a special plus.....but more importantly, the quick shifting of the 11 system and the splendid lever ergonomics are by themselves very much worth suggesting you consider the new groupo......plus 10 speed Campy is old news (for Chorus and above last produced in 2008....) meaning why not take this moment to get current on their offerings....then go get that wheelset you know you want too! 8)

Eric Marshall

by Eric Marshall

Personally, I thought SR 11 was a huge improvement over Record 10,
so I'd recommend choosing that. Depending on your current wheelset,
and how much climbing you do, the upgraded wheels might be difficult
to notice while riding.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Record 11. You have a really nice stable of wheels already.

jghall

by jghall

Personally, none of the above. Know it is nice to treat yourself, but you have a great group already and your choice of very nice to stellar wheels. Save the money, treat our wife, kids, another frame, etc.

Anyway, my 2 cents for the 1.5 it is worth.

Tricky1

by Tricky1

I had record 10 on my last bike and went SR11 on my latest. After riding the SR11 I realized the Record 10 was very decent and I don't see huge gains overall. The Campy quality was present in both gruppos IMO, I'd spend money elsewhere, unless your Campy is having age related issues?

Tokyo Drifter

by Tokyo Drifter

If your groupset is getting tired, spend a bit on a LH shifter rebuild and a new cable kit, maybe also a set of hoods.

cx-1s are pretty rough and ready frames. Smart money builds are always frame and wheels. Groupsets are for wearing out and replacing, or in the case of campy, rebuilding.

I vote for a new wheelset, given the choice.

However, given that this is weight weenies, I feel that the I should advise you to spend $15-20k on a lighter frame with AX-lightness, Tune and THM stuff dripping off of it.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

If you don't race, I wouldn't spend money on another set of tubulars (you already have the 38mm ones).

I'd sell your CX-1 and take that plus the $2500 and get a C59 or EPS/Q :) Sell the Edge tubulars you already have and toss in a Record 11 group as well.

You can find Record and Super Record 11 for quite good prices if you look around a bit. Much less than your $2500. If you are really wanting a "treat" I think you could make a big upgrade happen :)

mimason

by mimason

I vote for getting a different frame. The CX1 is decent but a tad flexy.

The group won't make you faster and Record 10 is great stuff.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com