Long head tubes , I do not like them

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Camilo

by Camilo

Obvious troll. Obvious because he mentions looks so many times. Probably can't stand it when his pumps and purse are mismatched either.

artray

by artray

I did not realise you wanted the exact measurement I just thought you wanted to see that I do ride in a aero position, I thought that was your point, to see if I ride the talk. It seems to have got you upset. I know I my shoe size but beyond that I can't help you, It's just all to complex.

Camilo wrote "Obvious troll. Obvious because he mentions looks so many times. Probably can't stand it when his pumps and purse are mismatched either"

Well this thread is about the way a bike looks, look at the title again , "d'oh". I like to wear Prada when climbing and Paul smith when riding a flat stage. I also have my hairdresser give me a quick trim at the first feeding station and top up my tan .
:beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

slyboots

by slyboots

artray wrote:I know I my shoe size but beyond that I can't help you, It's just all to complex.

Ha-ha! Ok, peace, mate. :beerchug:

konky

by konky

Lets face it if you need a long head tube, you need a long head tube, it's as simple as that. But I agree they don't look ideal. But in my view what looks really un pro and therefore duff, in my view, are bike bags. I wouldn't be seen dead with one.

artray

by artray

I agree , Konky stick a new thread up.
:thumbup:

TTP

by TTP

Powerful Pete wrote:Buy a frame that you are comfortable riding. Whatever the looks.

If it makes you ride more and more often, it accomplishes the task.
:thumbup:

Ozrider

by Ozrider

+1 @ Powerful Pete
I would love to ride a shorter headtube and slammed stem, but at 6'4" that is not going to happen.
I would love the wider range of options it would give me when buying a bike.
Main thing is I am fitted properly to my bike to produce maximum power and ride comfortably on the drops with a 9cm saddle to handlebar drop.

It is one thing to "look pro" with a slammed stem, but as with TT bikes going too low can affect power output and endurance.
Get fitted properly, go as low as you can without affecting efficiency and most importantly get out there and ride
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Chris Horners bike

For another thing, Horner rides a taller head tube than Trek’s “pro” geometry that the company calls H1. H2 features a head tube that’s 3cm taller than H1 geometry. A 56cm Madone 6.9 SSL in the H2 geometry has a 17cm head tube. (The reach is also about .5cm shorter.)

In fairness, Horner isn’t alone on the team in riding the H2 geometry. Five riders, including 27-year-old Matt Busche, use the H2 bikes.

orner is the only one on the team riding the wide Bontrager RL saddle, which he runs on a seatpost with almost no set-back. On the 56cm frame, Horner has a 120 stem.

“Chris is not exactly slammed,” Roessingh said of Horner’s position.

But despite his lack of concern for what pros are “supposed to do” for position, Horner continues to demonstrate the ability to deliver what really counts for professionals — getting himself first across the line.

--cyclingnews

I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

roca rule

by roca rule

i do not like tall head tubes. tis changes to road geometry and looks are mutating the classic road geometry into a mountain bike geometry. i hate this things in order
tall headtubes
relly oversize tubes
compact geometry
compact cranksets
wide cassettes
oversized bearrings
wide tires
wide rims
tubeless
disc brakes
and above all zerosetback posts.
that being said i have nothing against rider on those bikes as they are my fellow road brothers, in fact if i had a 38"+ waist line, was not flexyble enough, or was over the age of 50 i myself would be riding such frame. everybody rides what they can, and or want; who am i to change them?

krusty

by krusty

roca rule wrote:i do not like tall head tubes. tis changes to road geometry and looks are mutating the classic road geometry into a mountain bike geometry. i hate this things in order
tall headtubes
relly oversize tubes
compact geometry
compact cranksets
wide cassettes
oversized bearrings
wide tires
wide rims
tubeless
disc brakes
and above all zerosetback posts.

I could not, would not, on a boat.
I will not, will not, with a goat.
I will not like them in the rain.
I will not like them on a train.
Not in the dark! Not in a tree!
Not in a car! You let me be!
I do not like them in a box.
I do not like them with a fox.
I will not like them in a house.
I do not like them with a mouse.
I do not like them here or there.
I do not like them ANYWHERE!

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I hate green eggs and ham :mrgreen:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Wingnut

by Wingnut

stella-azzurra wrote:I hate green eggs and ham :mrgreen:

Lol...

djwalker

by djwalker

I think that the most important point is that a person's bike fit them in a comfortable and efficient position. Looks are secondary to that since a bike that is uncomfortable or inefficient will not be enjoyable to ride. And each of us has different height, weight, flexibility, and other physical impairments. So why shouldn't each of us need a different geometry to fit us? Having a higher head tube doesn't necessarily mean that you are slower, incompetent, old, or a "tourist". It just means that the height is what is necessary to make one comfortable and efficient. I, for one, would not pick a bike that didn't fit me just to look "pro". That would be the dumbest reason to buy something. If the bike that fits me also happens to look "pro" (whatever that means since the pros themselves are all over the map on fit) then great, if not then "so what". Buy a bike that fits you.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

*cough*
Linus Gerdemann rides with stem flipped up, and sometimes with spacers depending on the frame.
He can readily out ride and out climb most anyone on this forum (that we are aware of), and has the palmeres to show for it.
Engine & comfort >> aesthetics and "looking pro."

Pros are riding compacts cranksets. :shock:
Pros are riding with APEX rear derailleurs... and winning. :shock:
Pros are riding without powermeters during a race. :shock:
Pros are training without powermeters. :shock:
Pros are wearing helmets. :shock:
Pros are riding non-aero frames. :shock:
Pros don't care what you think about how they look. :shock:
Pros don't care what you think they should do during a race. :shock:
Pros don't care if you don't like their riding style. :shock:

... we can keep going, but the point is that some people both on this forum and out there doing circle-jerks at the local coffee shop while their multi-thousand dollar bike collects dust against the wall spend more time trying to get what they imagine to be the "pro look" and less time riding. We may have even reached a point in the sport where there is a higher frequency of performance-enhancing drug use (doping) in the ranks of amateurs and weekend-warriors than there is in the pro peloton!
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

The primary concern should be that the stem angle matches the top-tube angle.
Anything else makes the bike look like a farm implement.