3/32 vs 1/8th track drive train

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Turnsover

by Turnsover

Hey guys iv been a lurker for longer than i care to admit haha.

Anyways My track bike (A real track bike and not a fixie haha) is currently set up with a 1/8th drive train and this works all good and well, but i was thinking what would be the weight saving if i was too run 3/32? 50-100 grams?
I currently weigh 75kgs so there is no real need for such a burly drive train is there? Share with me your wizdom! :D

All feedback and comments are welcome, ill be introducing my bikes next time i get the chance, im currently riding a 2009 fuji track pro and an aluminium Fausto Coppi (Year unknown), a second of which i have never seen.

Thanks guys :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TimmS

by TimmS

Doesn't make any sense.

Total bike weight won't make a difference on the track.

And most important, a 1/8 chain is more strong, you don't want your chain to snap on the track...

RyanH

by RyanH

Not really the right forum, but I too have a 2009 FTP and just finished up a light Dolan Seta. The lightest true 3/32 chain (not 11/128) is a KHE Tanga which comes in at 245 grams compared to my 320 gram 1/8" chain. I'm using a different brand cog (Miche) than I was before, but weighs roughly the same as the 1/8 cogs I used to run (don't know if it's because the Miche are built thicker or 3/32 doesn't save weight on cogs).

The FTP frame is a tank though. My frame weighed in at 2,445 grams including the ~300 gram seat post mechanism. My Dolan weighs in at 1166 for a 54.

So, if your cogs are all 1/8, it might not be worth the upgrade to save the weight since you'll at best, still be above a 17lb bike and it won't matter for the track. The Dolan, which I'll post later, is sitting at 13.5 lbs with a 32/32 spoke wheelset.

mrfish

by mrfish

Sorry, I'm not understanding why a 1/8 chain would be really any stronger in the real world than a 3/32 chain for track usage. I personally think the use of 1/8 has more to do with tradition than real benefits.

The only chains I've ever seen break have been badly assembled, have defective links, or were shifted with 150kg jumping on the chain while riding up a steep hill on a tandem (we all make mistakes).

nspace

by nspace

I have a 1/8" Taya chain on my track bike, it is burly, but also question the use of 1/8". I wonder how much stronger it could possibly be... Sprinters aren't destroying their 3/32 chains on the Tour.

I feel like the 3/32 could be just as strong. I have had a KHE Tanga 3/32" on my SS MTB for the last 2 years that has seen tons of abuse (probably even kept it on there longer than I should) and it hasn't broke. I know much larger guys riding the same chain without issue.

I don't see going to 3/32 being a big issue with the right rings and cogs. 3/32 is also quieter.

brearley

by brearley

the main problem i see with 3/32nd over 1/8th is chain stretch, i have been running my 1/8th chain on my track bike for 3 years with no chain stretch using 1/8th sprocket with a 3/32nd chainring on many occasions
sprinters don't break chains because they're changed on a regular basis, track chains are changed rarely

bikericer

by bikericer

1/8 Izumi Super Toughness chain, simply strong, light, and will last forever. I run 1/8 because 95% of the people on the track run it as well so if you need a cog or ring you can usually find one. PLus the smaller chains look weird.

Turnsover

by Turnsover

Thanks for the replies all the feed back was very handy im thinking ill retain my 1/8th drive train since its the current standard, and its easier to find parts i guess. I know track bikes arnt design too be light weight but i thought i may as well try.

Richyo

by Richyo

The availability of parts on 3/32 is quite expensive and harder to find (online anyway). This is why i was forced to move to a 1/8 setup as 3/32 came standard on my low end track bike and i really needed new gear inch combinations.

Still using 3/32 sprockets though and 1/8 chainring and chain

Turnsover

by Turnsover

Richyo wouldn't that combination run really loud? how are your 3/32 sprockets wearing?

Richyo

by Richyo

Its only marginally louder but not the loudest i have heard some other peoples bikes.

by 2011

First off... don't worry about weight savings on the track. It does not really matter. I know many guys that have 20-25 pound steel track bikes, and they are faster than many of those on the 14 pound carbon bikes. Personally, I like how a heavier bike handles and maneuvers on the track.

Regarding 1/8 vs 3/32... you would not be really able to find high quality cogs, chainrings and a heavy duty single-speed chain in 3/32. If you did, not only is the chain not as laterally stiff and strong, but thin chainrings on track bikes have the tendency to creak and flex under hard efforts.

Also, the weight savings would be so tiny, it's not worth the risk.

I was watching the US Olympic Sprint team train on Monday, and most of their bikes sounded like loud chainsaws when riding. They all rode the Izumi V chain.

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

mrfish wrote:Sorry, I'm not understanding why a 1/8 chain would be really any stronger in the real world than a 3/32 chain for track usage. I personally think the use of 1/8 has more to do with tradition than real benefits.

Not really. A 1/8 chain is far heavier duty and is also not designed to flex as much as a 3/32 chain.

We supply chainrings to track riders running both 3/32 and 1/8 chains and I think that the 3/32 will be ok for most track riders but if you are a sprinter I'd suggest sticking to a 1/8 chain.

illuminaught

by illuminaught

I've dropped a 3/32" chain while descending on a smooth transition on my fixed sscx bike... chain was well tensioned... chain-line was off more than an acceptable amount for that chain...
same drive-train with 1/8" never dropped... much stiffer.

for track... the extra weight of a 1/8" is worth it. IMHO... (I'm 155lbs)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AaronT

by AaronT

5'8". 58kg. Tiemeyer Signature Custom. 1/8" Izumi V Gold. Enduro/Points/Scratch/Breakaway rider

There are rumors that the 6 Days racers run 3/32" chains because the lower weight helps reduce the fatigue buildup, but that is speculation and unlikely to have bearing on the average WW member that also races track.

You could try the KMC 710SL chain, I think it is the lightest 1/8" chain and the Aussie sprinters have been seen riding them. The best argument for 1/8" is ease of swapping rings and cogs with your mates on the infield.
ross wrote:At first you were like hurr. And then you derped