UCI no longer allows racing with GPS

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Guerdi

by Guerdi

Everything that makes cycling more appealing seems to be banned sooner or latter by the uci.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

thisisatest wrote:so head units are ok, a team car knowing where everyone is at any time (and when their heart is going to blow up) is not ok?

Yep, from what I understand that is what they are outlawing.

More rules :?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beardking

by beardking

Don't all the riders have GPS tracking for the time gaps? I thought thats what the things on the chain stays are?
would they be banned too?

Murphs

by Murphs

No, they are generally transponders for timing at finish lines

Dov

by Dov

I've noticed companies using footage from racing in their advertising and marketing campaigns, live data on websites is also a good marketing tool. It looks to me like the UCI is just reigning in the ability of companies to use 'race stuff' for monetary gain without paying the UCI a fee.
Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

Jameslee92

by Jameslee92

hendriksend wrote:The official Dutch Cycling Federation send out a memo with the announcement that is not allowed to race with GPS or video in UCI races. Guess the brother of mister Blatter is working at the UCI.....

Video makes me wonder about the ToC preshow which advertised on-bike video brought to you by GoPro(tm)! and GoPro related adds.

kudeta

by kudeta

From what I have heard there is an agreement being worked on as we speak for a combined live telemetry and in some cases on board camera not unlike motorsport in the pipeline for 2013. see link here http://www.matchsports.com/ This could be the UCI's way of getting a secure share of the $$$ The countdown lists the launch date the same day as 2013 Tour Down Under... Coincidence?