Osymetric chain rings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JesseD

by JesseD

Anyone know if you can use an osymetric outer chainring with a round inner ring?

Been offered one for free but it's only the outer!

Thanks all

alibongo

by alibongo

Will you be drilling it to save weight?
Follow me on twitter:- MrAliBongo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Glovetx

by Glovetx

Not sure if you are supposed to but I did for a few weeks. It just felt really goofy (like pedaling with a square chainring) when going to the little round ring.

Machinenoise

by Machinenoise

You can, but will feel horrible! If its for road, don't bother, and for TT just use a single ring up front! if nothing else its lighter!

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

It only feels that way for a few minutes eventually you muscles adjust. Just buy the other matching ring.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

JesseD

by JesseD

Think I might use it for TT's, just have to explain to the OH that as I have been given it for free I now need to build a TT bike as it will go to waste other wise! :D

Machinenoise

by Machinenoise

stella-azzurra wrote:It only feels that way for a few minutes eventually you muscles adjust. Just buy the other matching ring.

I meant that it will feel horrible switching between the rings, and will likely take longer than you'd like to adjust on the fly.
Am a long term user but still prefer round ones on the road bike. Have a new 54t TT ring in the post! :)

Yeh you clearly need a TT bike for them otherwise all will be wasted :mrgreen:

:up:

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

It will really mess with your pedal stroke and the feel going from one to the other. You either need to run oval rings, or round rings. Don't go back and forth.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JamieL

by JamieL

JesseD wrote:Think I might use it for TT's, just have to explain to the OH that as I have been given it for free I now need to build a TT bike as it will go to waste other wise! :D

Love this :up: . Got a new chainring so i need to build a bike to put it on...

Sounds very familiar.