Hypothyroidism and racing

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

chase196126

by chase196126

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone has dealt with hypothyroid issues while trying to train/compete (especially at a high level). What sort of symptoms did you experience? Did you have an abnormally low testosterone count at the time of diagnosis? Has medication helped improve the way you feel on/off the bike?

My mothers side of the family has a history of hypothyroid issues and I have been experiencing a number of symptoms that can be related to thyroid issues (very hard weight loss/maintenance even when burning a lot of KJs, cold hands and feet, strange energy levels, etc.).

I have a doctors appointment with a full blood work up scheduled for this coming week, so I will find out for sure then. I just wanted to see what others experiences have been like.

Thanks!

rgamble

by rgamble

A widely employed blood test measures the amount of thyroid hormone in your system. If it's low drugs like synthroid are available at a reasonable cost to remedy the condition.

It takes a few weeks to take effect and should not affect racing and/or training.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boots2000

by boots2000

Go see a naturopathic doctor that understands hypothyroid and athletes.
Many MD types dismiss thyroid or under treat it.
Also consider taking armour thyroid (porcine thyroid). Many have better results with this.
Major thing you would notice is being tired all the time, decreased performance and recovery.

rgamble

by rgamble

Thyroxine (T4) free & direct levels are well understood with upper & lower levels of .82 to 1.77 ng/dL.

If your blood tests out of range your physician will have a guide to the dosage of medication to prescribe. If not then you'll have an insight into the quality of care you're receiving.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

boots2000 wrote:Go see a naturopathic doctor that understands hypothyroid and athletes.

Or see someone who can prescribe some flower juice diluted in water, will have the same effect.

The placebo effect is a beautiful thing.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

rockdude

by rockdude

low levels of hypothyroidism are common in endurance athletes. I have it and race without problems.
2 Serotta's, 1 Spectrum, 1 Van Dessel, 1 Parlee & 1 Carl Strong, & 1 Titus.

artray

by artray

I had low thyroid count about 4 years ago , gained weight felt tired and drained. I had my blood taken every week for about 3 months. My levels were not to low but enough to affect my well being. I stopped riding outside, just used a indoor bike. It was a virus that was the cause and after 4 months I went back to Normal again. It was horrible and really gets you down.Some Pro riders have suffered with this. It can last up to a year.

RippedUp

by RippedUp

I have the opposite - hyperthyroidism - or graves disease. Had to stop all sport activities for about 2 months as I was too weak to do so and got dizzy quickly. Also lost a lot of weight.
Now taking tapazole and got my T3/T4 levels back down to normal and riding again at 95% of where I was at.

Thyroid hormones can affect your mood and physical abilities tremendously; it is essential to find a perfect balance with the drugs.

philnw3

by philnw3

Dude

You totally need the blood test

Go and see a real doctor then report back

Good luck

chase196126

by chase196126

Thanks for the responses, guys. I appreciate it. I had my Doctors appointment this morning with a blood draw and urine test (ruling out diabetes I believe). The doctor said that the symptoms I described make hypothyroidism a likely culprit. I will know for sure in a few days.

OJ

by OJ

My blood tests were showing similar, but have done only one follow-up test that wasn't off the scale. I was feeling especially crappy this winter-spring, but I just kept pushing myself and the past few weeks I have started to feel better again. I also have what they call a masked hypertension and I think that thyroid and blood pressure may be connected. I'm currently looking for a doctor who would be interested in maybe following-up what's going on.

I think holding back unless you feel fairly shitty might actually worsen the situation if riding is your stress outlet.
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

artray

by artray

Forgot to mention that one of the problems that caused my issues was eating green salad. I liked eating rocket etc etc . I do not eat green salads anymore.

RippedUp

by RippedUp

Would love to hear more about your experiences with hypo/hyperthyroidism. Please share how you dealt with it and if you are back to the same riding levels.
Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jan erik

by jan erik

First of all you should find a good PD. If your doctor says that your TSH level is ok,find another one. He should be looking at your FreeT3 and T4 levels.
Next,even if your hormones is in range they still could be to low (or high) for your need.If you have any tests from earlier years,compare(or let the PD compare) Further investigations and tests should be performed.

If your thyroid hormones is off it is likely that more hormones is out of balance,including thestosterone . Its a big hormone orchestra playing in your body and they interplay with each other.

If you need Thyroksin (or levaxin or synthroid) its up to your doctor to decide! To play with Synthroid/Levaxin if you just think your values is wrong will leave you dead meat . Do not ever think of starting to take these medications on your own as they will indeed shut your own production down!!

If your doctor starts you on medication its important to know that everyone of us with these problems need different dose of medicine. Start slow and easy and have your values chequed 3-6 weeks after adjustment. Its also important to know that a change in medication will take a long time before you would feel any difference. Maybe as long as 8 weeks... Youre natural producton will also vary and your bloodtests is just a snapshot. (also important,take youre bloodtest early at the same time each time,with no medication taken before)Its how your feel not youre bloodvalues that should decide your medication.

Im on my 9 month of adjustment and its not settled yet.

Some people need additional medicines to feel and perform good

Before your on the correct dose you will feel that your body is not coping good to training. You will need extra time for relaxing after exercise. . You will need longer than the usual 12 minutes to get warm. And you will not be able to sustain any marathon. Its like hitting a wall when your out of sugar..Bonking? Your body temp will be low. Your rest pulse will be lower than normal.Your body muscles and joints will be aching. You could get depressed. You could get fat. This is hypo.

If youre hyper your resting pulse will be higher. You will be sweating abnormal. And you will not be able to keep up. Your body is on fast idle. You can not sleep. Your body is aching. You could get anxiety. You need medication to lower your productions of hormones.

Both states is important to correct for your athlete performance

And yes,its possible to be an elite performer. Even compete without the gland. Look up Karen Smyers.

Most of all,listen to your body! Do not over train when feeling that you shouldn't! And dont take anything you find on the internet as the "bible"

This is my personal view