UCI no longer allows racing with GPS

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

It might make sense in timetrials where you could use a previous racer's ride as a guideline for what time-behind you need to aim for. Most GPS devices offer this functionality.

Not sure what the reasoning could be for regular road races, except riders could communicate with the team car - for races where this is allowed - and figure out exactly the position of other riders, which those without GPS can not. With the right software, this would be possible. Just guessing though.

A racer from Topsport Vlaanderen Mercator told me "it appears you can not race with GPS anymore". We'll have to wait for the official version if it's definite or not :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

record

by record

Maybe GPS receivers (like Garmin) are allowed and this rule will only apply to the transmitters?
A light bike does replace good fitness.

gmitt98

by gmitt98

Is this kind of the like recent UCI ban on mud, inclement weather, and rain jackets?

http://cyclismas.com/2012/05/uci-bans-m ... n-jackets/

alexb618

by alexb618

i think it would make complete sense for TTs

you could load a previous rider's TT onto your GPS as a lap and pace yourself off it

everyone uses GPS though so i am not sure how it would be an advantage worth banning

Epic-o

by Epic-o

alexb618 wrote:i think it would make complete sense for TTs

you could load a previous rider's TT onto your GPS as a lap and pace yourself off it

everyone uses GPS though so i am not sure how it would be an advantage worth banning

Team car can give you that info

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Epic-o wrote:Team car can give you that info

Not once radio is banned completely :twisted:
Well at least not as easily ...

kevinkalis

by kevinkalis

Epic-o wrote:
alexb618 wrote:i think it would make complete sense for TTs

Team car can give you that info

Exactly, GPS doesn't provide any technical benefit over a rider not using it. I don't see any reason why the UCI would ban it. It would be near impossible to check as well.

strobbekoen wrote:I was notified by a protour team that the UCI issued a new rule today that racing with GPS is no longer allowed.
Not sure if this has been mentioned on here before.

Do you have anything other than this guy's word? Name of the team, the person who told you? Any reason why there hasn't been a peep of this, as opposed to the slightly more ridiculous sock length regulations?
K2

Do you suffer more when you train, or cannot train?

hendriksend

by hendriksend

The official Dutch Cycling Federation send out a memo with the announcement that is not allowed to race with GPS or video in UCI races. Guess the brother of mister Blatter is working at the UCI.....

Epic-o

by Epic-o

wassertreter wrote:
Epic-o wrote:Team car can give you that info

Not once radio is banned completely :twisted:
Well at least not as easily ...

Team cars have loudspeakers for TTs

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Apparently it's GPS tracking, like the SRM one that HTC had a year or so ago at the the Tour, not GPS units.

Liggero

by Liggero

seems like UCI is going too far, just once again. Computers like the garmin 500 can be quite useful for looking at the track and increase security in the race, as racers could follow the stage track and anticipate to dangerous curves, etc. It's also handy to see the stage profile. Devices with internet will arrive sooner or later, and that opens the field to some other inputs way beyond radio. Actually anyone could use an iphone instead of a garmin as of today (until today, better say). This is quite silly IMO, just like the spinaci ban; now all rider put theirs arms on the top part of handlebars, so it's even more risky... GPS should not be banned. It's a pitty for development of garmin like devices with pro's, and it's also very fad for sponsors like garmin or any other gps brand who wanted to enter the market.
Happy Trails !!!

TerribleCadence

by TerribleCadence

Garmin won't be driven away by that at all. Having their name on a team is a boost to their business, which they can afford. In my opinion they don't actually even need to support a team. Everyone knows garmin is the cycling gps, but its nice to see a company putting money back into the sport. GPS aside, they wouldn't pull out as they need to make everyone aware of their new vector pedals.
FELT AR0 Now sold.
CAAD10 Force 22, Quarq, Ksyrium SLR
LOOK 695 Light, Force22, Zipp 303.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Tinea Pedis wrote:Apparently it's GPS tracking, like the SRM one that HTC had a year or so ago at the the Tour, not GPS units.

so head units are ok, a team car knowing where everyone is at any time (and when their heart is going to blow up) is not ok?

from some Garmin forum:
Hi, My Tracks Team:

A service called My Track Tour was announced by Google and HTC Highroad cycling team for the Tour de France 2010. I was really impressived.The service could make the cyclists live location and speed public and everyone of the world can know real live Tour de France.

im assuming this is actually what is banned.

kevinkalis

by kevinkalis

Tinea Pedis wrote:Apparently it's GPS tracking, like the SRM one that HTC had a year or so ago at the the Tour, not GPS units.

Now that sounds like something the UCI would ban!

It still seems a bit backwards though, no real advantage to any riders in broadcasting their power outputs, positions and any other related data. Makes for better viewing to the fans. Better TV ratings, more money. Who doesn't want more money?
K2

Do you suffer more when you train, or cannot train?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

principiamacb

by principiamacb

Could it be that the UCI has its own plans for a version producing live data for all the riders then plan on charging broadcasters/the public to view it?