'Rules' for weighing bike...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Beancouter

by Beancouter

May sound an odd question, but are there any 'forum rules' to standardise bike build weights for comparison (e.g. Include pedals and 2 bottle cages). I am aiming for a sub 6kg build and want to know how hard it is going to be!

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Should be "ride ready" I think -- pedals yes, but you might get away tossing the computer and the second bottle cage.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tokyo Drifter

by Tokyo Drifter

I think weighing a road bike with track tyres goes against the rules, unless you ride it with them, in which case, you're shit at life.

I also think it should include pedals and bottle cages, but no accessories (such as pump, computer/garmin, lights)

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Agree with Tokyo, bike must be ready to ride, as you ride it.
Pedals, cages, tyres and cassette that you actually ride with, not silly light items that are just for show.
Things like pumps, saddle bags, lights, Garmin, etc should be removed.

Cheers
Ozrider
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

gumgardner

by gumgardner

I agree it should have pedals, at least one bottlecage, no computers or saddle bags. I also think it should have road tires. You can drop more than a 1/2lb by using a tufo track tire, but can't really use it.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

If you ride with two cages then two is the number.. Agreeded with the others... As you acutally ride it.. Sans computer, lights and other stuff that should be in our back pockets any ways. And air in the tires too ( you can find 10g with out air in the tires..)

notsoswift

by notsoswift

Bingo

Just because marketing companies don't use pedals on the bikes they ride does mean we can't!

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

...and here I am weighing my bike w/ the garmin and speed sensor.
Speedplay is the devil!

durkonion

by durkonion

Weigh it like you race it. I always weigh it with the Garmin and 2 bottle cages. I exclude the pump and spare tube since I take those off to race.

quattrings

by quattrings

you should always weigh it with the chain on the big ring.
:-?

caseycycling

by caseycycling

Another rule is do not say "I stood on my bathroom scale and it looks like 13lbs"

You can get a digital hanging scale for under $5 online...

gumgardner

by gumgardner

We should have a 'corrected weight' for all of the bikes on here. Submit your bike and the weight will show actual weight and a corrected weight using real tires, front and rear brakes, bottle cages, etc.

Similar to what Madcow did with the crank tests to make it fair across the board, so we can see how all the bikes stack up against each other.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Thanks for the responses. Was hoping it would be without pedals :wink: Next big savings will come from cranks (current s975 and strong light ct2) and wheels ( 404 FCC).....

BmanX

by BmanX

I think you need to go the following route.

Single bottle holder - Some ride with one and some ride with two so the equalizer is one.
No computer

Simple rules.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Dammit

by Dammit

mdeth1313 wrote:...and here I am weighing my bike w/ the garmin and speed sensor.

Snap.

But going on the rules in this thread I just cut 75 grams off my bike weight by taking off the Powercontrol.

6.6kg on the nose

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com