Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Some inspiration for you...

:thumbup:

Spuds

by Spuds

de zwarten wrote:Can't you put your hands on a second hand Veloce or Centaur silver gruppo (around 250 euro in my part of the old world), some second hand hand-build wheels with silver record hubs (around 200 euro)

+1

If it were me I'd be going for a second hand non-carbon Campy group. Would get a look that matches the frame IMO.

Tubs are a must for a gravel rig. Preferably anodised box section rims like Ambrosio Nemesis/chrono or Mavic GL330's with silver campy hubs and Pave style tyres.

Would probably also want 'classic' bend bars - silver of course :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Lots more pondering about the direction of the build as time passes. The current thinking is to build up a relatively light, race worthy steel rig, with retro looks. The 1" Star fork (387g) might go some way towards this.

The plan at the moment is to finish off with DA7800 componentry, and I'm definitely pondering classic bend bars. Recommendations are welcome.

star.jpg

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

+1 for the HB Plus rims - I'm restoring a '72 Cinelli SC to period correct condition to ride in L'Eroica - Having a second set of wheels built for everyday riding using the polished HPlus TB 14 rims laced to Record hubs - they are a great balance of new and retro - very shallow depth, great polished finish out of the box and even though the brake tracks are machined the rims shoulders are still rounded. The big bonus for the Strade Bianche is the 23mm rim width - will carry wider tyres and be more stable on the gravel. Put some Challenge Paris Roubaix 27C tyres on and you're set.

For my money I would be grabbing a New Old Stock Campy Chorus groupset off ebay for period correctness - still available new and unused out of the box if you look hard enough - or current alloy Campy Athena for the right look and modern convenience.

Either way - great project - look forward to the end result.

PS - for bars and stem you cannot go past the re-issued A1 Stem and Giro D'Italia bars which are period correct and back in production from Cinelli. White bar tape and hoods of course.
Last edited by dadoflam08 on Thu May 10, 2012 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

fletch62

by fletch62

@dadoflam08, can you post some pics and weight of the H Plus TB14 rims?
I'm looking at some of these to replace Ambrosio tubular rims.
Cant decide between polish or black ano.

boyracer

by boyracer

Nice project you got going.

What weights is the frame, the fork, etc?
I have a few steelies that I am keen to strip and rebuild. Just can't keep off 'em long enough to do it.
Both 59 cm square # 1 columbus SL = 2120gm frame only. Pictured with 28mm tyres and 7 speed DT rig. I ride centuries on it on a lot of aussie dirt roads.
I have another ??? steelie, 1905 gm FO. takes a 27.0 'post???? I reckon the seat tube was brazed in upside down!

See you at l'eroica?

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

fletch62 wrote:@dadoflam08, can you post some pics and weight of the H Plus TB14 rims?
I'm looking at some of these to replace Ambrosio tubular rims.
Cant decide between polish or black ano.

Hi Fletch
Rims are with the builder interstate - however the bike is due to be photographed professionally in the next 6 weeks when it is finished (which will include some good shots of the wheels) - will post then. I will ask to have the rims weighed if I remember - claimed weight is not light though - close to 500g (which is very close to the old Super Champion 'Model 58' clincher rims of the same dimensions from the 70's)
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

Dov

by Dov

ultimobici wrote:
liam7020 wrote:Very nice! If you're actually thinking of riding the Eroica sportive in Italy you'll need to go for down tube levers cos apparently the organizers are fairly strict with regards to the bike tech.
Unlikely that this frame would be eligible for the Eroica as it is a 1990's frame. Cut-off is 1987, IIRC.

Strictly speaking this is true but they have no way of knowing the age of frames so they say you can use a modern steel frame with period parts. The only rule they really enforce is down-tube shifters, cables outside of bar tape and clips/straps. Even then it's a very cursory look at each bike.
Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

fletch62

by fletch62

dadoflam08 wrote:Rims are with the builder interstate

Not @ Shifterbikes is it?

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

fletch62 wrote:
dadoflam08 wrote:Rims are with the builder interstate

Not @ Shifterbikes is it?

Not until next week - :D - presently with Andy from Fyxo - I am coming over for Melburn Roobaix next month & to pick up the bike. If you drop into Shifterbikes / Fyxo Hub the week before 24 June the finished wheels will be there

fletch62

by fletch62

Had my Parlee built there, great guys, awesome service.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Time to start wrenching things together soon! Some people won't like this, but this will be a Shimano build, as all my other bikes are Shimano-based as well. Painting the frame has been called off, I'm wondering if I should give the Star fork a white paintjob though.

DSC_0331-small.JPG

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Not digging the DA 7800 groupset, mainly because of the bulky shifters. DA 7700 would be much nicer (and cheaper by the way) and would go great with your new parts!

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I changed my mind an will go with silver Shimano 105 STIs. They are bulky, but have the internal cable routing. If anyone can advise me on less bulky silver lever STIs with internal routing, I'd be happy to reconsider. They need to work with a Shimano drivetrain though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fletch62

by fletch62

Did this bike ever get finished?