Fed up with RED front shifting. What now?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Imaking20

by Imaking20

In the time I've had my new RED equipped Felt F3 I've been less than impressed with the front shifting - or lack thereof. The bike will almost never pick up the big ring on the trainer (which hasn't been a deal breaker since its rarely used there) and has given me trouble a couple times on the road. Well Sunday, in a race, I shifted to my small front ring (or tried) to setup for a climb and the chain bound up in the process. I should point out this shift was not made under force - I gave myself a last little "oomph" before the hill to buy some momentum for an unloaded shift and I still got bit.

I know the front mech is the thorn in the side of RED, should I just swap for a force or YAW front mech or should I also be looking at rings?

...or maybe I should just stick with big ring climbing :twisted:

Thanks fellas.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I should clarify - when I say "new red equipped felt" I mean the Felt is new - not the new Gen RED.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Murphs

by Murphs

Whilst I never had a problem with my Red FD, I switched to a Rival FD (identical to Force) and the shifting is quicker under load.

mimason

by mimason

Without the need to go to the yaw FD simply get a Shimano DA FD or a SRAM Force. I went with Force from RED as well as replacing the RED rings with Praxis rings and shifting is superb.

cameltoe

by cameltoe

I have had the same issues and have since put on the new Red Yaw FD and it is infinitely better.

Ozrider

by Ozrider

I first changed to Praxis chainrings which made a decent difference in front shifting, then after a few niggles I changed to a Force front derailleur.
Shifting is now on a par with my Dura Ace 7800 equipped bike, which in my opinion sets a benchmark for smooth shifting, only Di2 shifts bettr than 7800 in my experience, 7900 was a step backwards in shift quality, which prompted me to try SRAM.
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Murphs wrote:Whilst I never had a problem with my Red FD, I switched to a Rival FD (identical to Force) and the shifting is quicker under load.

cameltoe wrote:I have had the same issues and have since put on the new Red Yaw FD and it is infinitely better.

Thank you :beerchug:
mimason wrote:Without the need to go to the yaw FD simply get a Shimano DA FD or a SRAM Force. I went with Force from RED as well as replacing the RED rings with Praxis rings and shifting is superb.

Ozrider wrote:I first changed to Praxis chainrings which made a decent difference in front shifting, then after a few niggles I changed to a Force front derailleur.
Shifting is now on a par with my Dura Ace 7800 equipped bike, which in my opinion sets a benchmark for smooth shifting, only Di2 shifts bettr than 7800 in my experience, 7900 was a step backwards in shift quality, which prompted me to try SRAM.

I've been thinking about Praxis quite a bit but I really like my current 52/36 gearing and as far as I can tell that's not an option :( (correct me if I'm wrong though)

adriano wrote:learn to set it up right.

There's always one..

Go ride your bike - feel better ;)

roca rule

by roca rule

@ imaking
According to praxis they are coming. I an waiting for those as well.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

jtsoderman

by jtsoderman

I just picked up a New Red (yaw) FD and the difference is night and day. My previous set up was Red Brifters, Force FD and SRAM s975 quarq with the red rings. I kept all the other components the same, just switched out the FD. The yaw FD made a huge difference, it's kinda a pain to set up but the shifting is flawless once you've got it dialed in right. :thumbup:

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

I too will be getting the new Red front d. in my new setup but I have never had troubles with the old Red front shifting. I have it setup with FSA SL-K crank and while it's not the quickest and smoothest it works well; I even was able to set it up to completely eliminate rubbing when cross chained.
----------------------------------------------
Racing and Training Cycling Tires
www.tiremaniacs.com

Wcl4

by Wcl4

jtsoderman wrote:I just picked up a New Red (yaw) FD and the difference is night and day. My previous set up was Red Brifters, Force FD and SRAM s975 quarq with the red rings. I kept all the other components the same, just switched out the FD. The yaw FD made a huge difference, it's kinda a pain to set up but the shifting is flawless once you've got it dialed in right. :thumbup:

Is the new yaw FD compatible with the last generation front shifter lever? I read in an article that the throw difference makes the previous generation shifter incompatible. Not true?

Wcl4

by Wcl4

jtsoderman wrote:I just picked up a New Red (yaw) FD and the difference is night and day. My previous set up was Red Brifters, Force FD and SRAM s975 quarq with the red rings. I kept all the other components the same, just switched out the FD. The yaw FD made a huge difference, it's kinda a pain to set up but the shifting is flawless once you've got it dialed in right. :thumbup:

Is the new yaw FD compatible with the last generation front shifter lever? I read in an article that the throw difference makes the previous generation shifter incompatible. Not true?

sungod

by sungod

fyi old/new red mixtures tested here...

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/03/ ... ity_209270" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

motorthings

by motorthings

new yaw FD works fine with old shifters and crank (much better than the old fd). if you replace the shifters, then you need to replace the crank (or vice versa), but the RD, FD, and cassette work fine independently.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wcl4

by Wcl4

Must have read that in a magazine review where they were told that by SRAM. I have a Look 695 with SRAM on there and Praxis rings. The shifting has never been great up front - will this new FD be better even though I'm running the Praxis rings? Thanks in advance.