Saddles with cutout or channel and less than 150 grams

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

You guys don't think the channel can create 2 ridges on its side, which puts more pressure there compared to a non-cut-out saddle?

incognitus

by incognitus

PoorCyclist wrote:You guys don't think the channel can create 2 ridges on its side, which puts more pressure there compared to a non-cut-out saddle?

I have ridden both cut out and non-cut out saddles, and would agree with the above.

If there is any real pressure on the area where most cut out saddles have their cut out, it would be a sign for me that I am are sitting wrong (i.e. not on my sit bones).
At that time, you indeed are distributing a lot of load on two narrow "rails" which is less than comfortable and can't be healthy. Again, that just my finding after trying some 10+ saddles over time.
I have not seen any reliable study (i.e. no marketing brochure) yet that would show any significant change in blood flow or nerve pressure between cut vs. non-cut saddles, provided they are used correctly - but I might just be ignorant about this. Anyone?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Murphs

by Murphs

It's from their website, but scientific journals are not "marketing"

http://www.sellesmp.com/smp4bike/en/ergonomy/journal-of-sexual-medicine

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

incognitus wrote:
PoorCyclist wrote:You guys don't think the channel can create 2 ridges on its side, which puts more pressure there compared to a non-cut-out saddle?

I have ridden both cut out and non-cut out saddles, and would agree with the above.

If there is any real pressure on the area where most cut out saddles have their cut out, it would be a sign for me that I am are sitting wrong (i.e. not on my sit bones).
At that time, you indeed are distributing a lot of load on two narrow "rails" which is less than comfortable and can't be healthy. Again, that just my finding after trying some 10+ saddles over time.
I have not seen any reliable study (i.e. no marketing brochure) yet that would show any significant change in blood flow or nerve pressure between cut vs. non-cut saddles, provided they are used correctly - but I might just be ignorant about this. Anyone?

So I did notice although the ridges / rail on a hard cut-out saddle causes some discomfort for me on long rides, I didn't get any cramps even if I pushed hard on the climbs, which seems like there is something different going on. Going back to my original saddle suddenly feels like a sofa.

cameltoe

by cameltoe

Hey thisisatest, "secondly, comfort and good blood flow are completely independent. you can be riding with a big grin on your face right up until your genitalia falls off." :shock: WTF?!! I hope not.

I have gone from a Fizik Arione, to a Selle Italian SLR Carbonio flow and have found it much more comfortable. I have protruding sit bones and am quite flexible so my hips roll forward and with a full saddle this resulted in pressure under my junk.
It is all very dependant on the individual. A friend of mine got to the point where he was pissing blood and so switched to a Selle SMP cut out and has been fine since. I have tried his saddle and it feels to me like sitting on nails. It is definitely not for all but is worth considering. As they say, there are only 2 types of cyclists, those with erectile dysfunction and those yet to get it.

adriano

by adriano

fizik does not have a model that allows anywhere close to smp or even specialized blood flow. period, if you will.

Internalcon

by Internalcon

Anyone have any luck taking off the hideous graphics from the Merek saddle?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Sand it off?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

astranoc

by astranoc

Just ordered a Mereq SQ1 to try it out. 80euro for 110gr saddle is not bad going, I paid 3 times this to get a Tune at 92gr. We ll see how my butt will find it.

KWalker

by KWalker

It takes getting used to a cutout saddle and some people might take longer than others.

I went from a Prologo to a Toupe and it was glorious on my taint, but took my sitbones a while to adjust. Going from that to the Romin took some more time as it had 0 padding.

I oscillated between those 2 for 1.5 years before finally giving an SMP a try. So far its been great, but you have to get used to your tuberosities supporting all of your weight. You will never get perenium pressure again.

Its all individual anatomy. I'd prefer not to ride an ugly, heavy, and expensive saddle but if its this much better then screw it.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

It's the SMP's 'hook nose' that really kills it for me, personally. The rest of the saddle looks great otherwise.
I'd love to try one out.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

adriano

by adriano

its not too drastic on the ones weight weenies would be considering.

KWalker

by KWalker

prendrefeu wrote:It's the SMP's 'hook nose' that really kills it for me, personally. The rest of the saddle looks great otherwise.
I'd love to try one out.

Yah the look awful and its a completely useless feature. I'm still torn on if I really like it or that its just new for right now (when compared to the Romin Evo).
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

adriano

by adriano

its completely useless if you havent thought about it for too long.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Murphs

by Murphs

My old saddle (a Velo that was very similar to Selle Italia SLR) was perfectly comfortable for 4hours+ of riding. Except it made my dick go to sleep.

My Selle SMP is just as comfortable if not slightly more, but I have unrestricted blood flow to the important areas.