Tubular - start help

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

darkblue08

by darkblue08

Im thinking about trying tubular wheels. I can see there are 2 good sticky topics about glueing and reparing tubulars.

Do you have any other good pointers for a tubular newbie:
Tips on a first cheap tubular wheelset / buying second hand or cheap asian on eBay
A good tubular tire to start with.

What I aim for is a cheap way to test tubulars, but still has a wheelset I can use for several years. I live in Denmark where we have high puncture risk do to sharp rocks.

How do you prepare for punctures during training and races? Who do you keep the weight of your mobile repair kit down?
What pitfalls can you help a newbie to avoid?
Do you only user tubulars on shorter distances, like sub 2-3 hours, or do you also use them for long distance?

Kastrup

by Kastrup

I too live in Denmark and recently ventured into the world of tubulars.

I rode the Veloflex Roubaix and they held up well. Easy to mount but they wont last forever compared to some of the continental offerings. Read through the tubular thread and most of your questions will be answered. I know mine did.

My first wheelset was with some 32 hole ambrosio f20s on dura-ace hubs. Rode really nice and doesnt cost a fortune. Throw me a pm if you have further questions.....

/Emil

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?fqfnb5
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mackers

by Mackers

Get someone to build you some Kinlin TB25 rims on Novatec hubs with DT Competition spokes.
Cheap and cheerful.

notsoswift

by notsoswift

Kastrup wrote:My first wheelset was with some 32 hole ambrosio f20s on dura-ace hubs. Rode really nice and doesnt cost a fortune. Throw me a pm if you have further questions.....

Good if you are light, but Ambrosso Nemesis if you are after something a bit more everyday (identical profile just extra 80gram of metal per rim).
Swap out the DA hubs for Campanologo Record if that matches you bike, either are good
Either way the wheels are about 1500g and good value
Tyres are very personal
Tyres - don't Vittoria for daily wheels, they cut and puncture too easy (good for racing though)
Continental Sprrinter Gatorskin for everyday use IMO... but you will get 100 different responses to that! As i said, very personal

de zwarten

by de zwarten

At least where I am living, Ambrosio nemesis + record/dura ace hubs only cost around 150 euro. Most amateur riders are selling them as they change groups, or have something fancier as spare wheels. Most of these wheelsets are only slightly used as spare wheels (I bought a well-used pair recently for 60 euros).

I really like the Vittoria Rally tubulars. They are only 17 euro/tub and have 220 tpi. You can get them with tan sidewalls.
I put a spare tubular in a cut-in-half bidon. After about 3-4000 kms on tubulars, I had two pinch flats (sharp glas) which were both repaired with Vittoria pitstop. So I could as well not have taken a spare tubular and just the pitstop.

Wcl4

by Wcl4

Conti Sprinters are pretty basic tubular tires. Not my favorite, but you dont have to fill them with air everyday. You may want to try Tufo tape instead of glue. It's a heck of alot easier without the mess however may not be ideal for racing.

Geoff

by Geoff

I have to say, it really makes me pleased to hear so many guys using and recommending really sensible kit. +1 on choosing a classic, no-nonsense build like Ambrosio Nemesis with quality spokes laced to 'factory' hubs (Shimano or Record). Lots of good tires out there for 'daily-drivers'. I have had good lick with the Conti Competition and Vittoria All-Weather, but there are lots of others. The Gatorskin sounds like a good choice for really bad roads, though I have not ridden them myself.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

As a tire to start you off i suggest the continental sprinter. it is a great "no fuss" tire.

Tubular tape was just mentioned. please have a look at my signature for that.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

I posted a video a few weeks back, not too in depth but the very basics to gluing.

http://youtu.be/DCvSa5_RwyU
Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

gumgardner

by gumgardner

darkblue08 wrote:Im thinking about trying tubular wheels. I can see there are 2 good sticky topics about glueing and reparing tubulars.

Do you have any other good pointers for a tubular newbie:
Tips on a first cheap tubular wheelset / buying second hand or cheap asian on eBay
A good tubular tire to start with.

What I aim for is a cheap way to test tubulars, but still has a wheelset I can use for several years. I live in Denmark where we have high puncture risk do to sharp rocks.

How do you prepare for punctures during training and races? Who do you keep the weight of your mobile repair kit down?
What pitfalls can you help a newbie to avoid?
Do you only user tubulars on shorter distances, like sub 2-3 hours, or do you also use them for long distance?

Did you read the stickies? You'll be an expert after reading that

krusty

by krusty

Frankie - B wrote:As a tire to start you off i suggest the continental sprinter. it is a great "no fuss" tire.

Tubular tape was just mentioned. please have a look at my signature for that.

I currently have 3 bikes with tubulars, 2 of which are taped. Personally, I find it's OK for general use, but under more demanding conditions (high ambient temperature, cornering, etc.) I have seen my tires creep sideways on the rim. I will be going back to gluing all my tubulars when the taped ones need replacement. The track I ride at prohibits tape for tubular mounting as well, as you can definitely roll a taped tire off the rim. The only reason I tried tape in the first place was the issues people were having with glued tires lifting layers of carbon. The carbon-specific glues make this a non-issue now, and even tape can lift carbon.

darkblue08

by darkblue08

I read about the Tufo tape and glueing/non-glueing. What I was looking for was what people do if they have multiple punctures on a trip, and what a good starter wheelset is.

krusty

by krusty

darkblue08 wrote: What I was looking for was what people do if they have multiple punctures on a trip, and what a good starter wheelset is.

I run sealant in my tires, both tubular and clincher. I carry a small repair kit rather than a spare tire. I haven't had a puncture since the late 70s, but I don't encounter the thorns, etc where I ride that some people elsewhere seem to. A good starter wheelset is one that you get a good price on. You can go high end if you can afford it. There's no rule that says you must have 'starter' gear until you reach a certain level.

Musiker

by Musiker

Also from denmark.
You will need more puncture resitant tires than many other places in the world because of the sharp stones we have all over.
I've had ok succes with GP 4000 and 1/3 bottle of Liquid Tyre sealant (Tufo), but the GP's are not the best tubes when it comes to ride quality.
I have just replaced my front tub with a Tufo and Can't wait to try this tire on the back wheel aswell. It seems much nicer than the GP.
Using my tubs on a set of Zipp 202 and I am thinking about getting a set of 303's (Im a light guy), but I am not sure I will buy the Tubular version.. If I get the chance I would like to compare the tubular vs the clincher. If the ride quality is similar Ill prolly buy the clincher (unless I find the bloody perfect tubular tire)

Biggest issue with tubulars apart from the cost (I can't repair tubs) is the fact that you need to drag an extra tire with you if you want to be 100% sure to be able to ride home after a flat. I have had a rip so bad it couldent be stopped by sealent. WIth clinchers an extra tube gets you far.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rideuphill

by Rideuphill

cwdzoot wrote:I posted a video a few weeks back, not too in depth but the very basics to gluing.

http://youtu.be/DCvSa5_RwyU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Surprised to hear you do not glue the tire! I'm no expert but have been gluing my wheels for a few years now and have always glued both tire and rim. I have never come across anyone or any info recommending to not glue the tire.