Vit Open Corsa CX vs SC (clinchers)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Unbrokenchain

by Unbrokenchain

Time to get some new tires and have always rode on the CXs. Has anyone switched to the new SC? I heard better in rain but any other differences? Any difference in wear or puncture resistance? Is it just marketing?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Is it just marketing?

Nope. They're born out of necessity. Pros sponsored by Vittoria refused to ride the new EVos as they did not provide sufficient grip.
The SC are far better. Close to a Veloflex tyre of similar size in fact.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ProudDaddy

by ProudDaddy

[quote="fdegrove"]The SC are far better. Close to a Veloflex tyre of similar size in fact.
quote]

Yes, I've used the SC tubies. Cheaper than the Veloflex (for me anyway) but similar performance. My only compaint is the extra thick base tape around the valve can produce a bit of a "hop" in the wheel. Can I slice some of that base tape off? What is the safe approach here? Mounted on newer zipp 303.

Timebandit415

by Timebandit415

Do not drill the valve hole larger in the Zipp as it will void the warranty. The best thing to do in my opinion is that when you are mounting the tire stretch the areas right next to the valve while mounting. You can probably also cut away some of the extra material if you were careful, but I personally wouldn't do it because I found a technique that already works for me.

sawyer

by sawyer

My experience is SCs have better grip but are more fragile. Cld just be bad luck.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

ProudDaddy

by ProudDaddy

Timebandit415 wrote:Do not drill the valve hole larger in the Zipp as it will void the warranty. The best thing to do in my opinion is that when you are mounting the tire stretch the areas right next to the valve while mounting. You can probably also cut away some of the extra material if you were careful, but I personally wouldn't do it because I found a technique that already works for me.

Apologies for the thread hijack but thanks for the response. I know some people widen the valve hole with a countersink and deburring tool but like you suggest, I don't really want to go there. Guess I'll try to remove a bit of base tape with something. I'll also try the stretching you mention, but this tire in particular seems to have an extra thick overlap of base tape around the valve which doesn't sit well in the 303. IME anyways. Going to be mounting one this week so any other thoughts are welcomed!

On thread topic, I do agree the SC grip better than CX but do not last as long, so there may be something to the "more fragile" comment, however, I have used them in a few rough roubaix type races and have never flatted even with a worn rear tire.
Last edited by ProudDaddy on Mon May 07, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boysa

by boysa

I have found the traction with the SC to be much improved over the CX when the roads are damp. They both, however, have the issue regarding excessive base tape around the stem. You can snip some of it away carefully with a small pair of shears. I think that is your best option.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

steel515

by steel515

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

Is it just marketing?

Nope. They're born out of necessity. Pros sponsored by Vittoria refused to ride the new EVos as they did not provide sufficient grip.
The SC are far better. Close to a Veloflex tyre of similar size in fact.

Ciao, ;)

Specifically what is better. Do you mean we shouldn't use the Open CX?

steel515

by steel515

boysa wrote:I have found the traction with the SC to be much improved over the CX when the roads are damp. They both, however, have the issue regarding excessive base tape around the stem. You can snip some of it away carefully with a small pair of shears. I think that is your best option.

we're talking tubulars

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Specifically what is better. Do you mean we shouldn't use the Open CX?

The SC is overall a much better tyre. The EVO is fine for dry weather conditions.

Ciao, ;)

Murphs

by Murphs

I really wish they would release the SC or an SC equivalent with black sidewalls.

boysa

by boysa

I really like the tan sidewall, but it is a pain when you need to replace one tire and have something other than another SC in the queue. I'd imagine before long we'll see an all-black version.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Murphs wrote:I really wish they would release the SC or an SC equivalent with black sidewalls.

As it stands it already is a copy of one of their old designs which Veloflex continues to make at the Italian factory.
But I agree, although fashionable in the pro pelotons for the moment, all black sidewalled tyres are more practical.

Purely technically speaking, the para walled ones should be ever so slightly more comfortable though. (Provided they're made as a true para tyre, not just some coloured stuff)

Ciao, ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com