Disc brakes recommendation ... again

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

J.v.S.

by J.v.S.

Sorry to bother you guys again. I have asked the question roughly 1,5 years ago but decided to pimp my old V-brake equipped bike back then and didn't get to buy discs. Now it's definitely time to get an entirely new rig WITH disc brakes, so the old question arises again.

The broad (but in no way unanimous) consensus back then seemed to have been Shimano XTR (or XT) for reliability and ride-and-don't-look-back factor.

Being a roadie I'm not really on top of technological progress so your opinion would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Martin.F

by Martin.F

I am very impressed with my Formula r1s so far. They provide great power even with super light rotors. However, I still think the XTR (and XT) is a better brake. Better lever feel is what really stands out.

DavidR1

by DavidR1

I like my R1's but am planning on some Hope EVO X2 for the new build. Seems to be the best bang for the buck in the lightweight brake market.

pmr

by pmr

Generally the shimano xt/xtr is not the lightest - things like the top end formula brakes are, but people seem to (myself included) love the xt/xtr brakes for their durability/quality/stress free.

Though people do love the formula brakes.

Liggero

by Liggero

pmr wrote:Generally the shimano xt/xtr is not the lightest - things like the top end formula brakes are, but people seem to (myself included) love the xt/xtr brakes for their durability/quality/stress free.

+1
Happy Trails !!!

by 104

I'm in love with the new XT and XTR. I'll happily give up the weight penalty for the lever feel and power. You might save a second on a climb by shaving 25g, but I can shave a ton more time than that with the confidence that a great set of brakes will provide.

limba

by limba

I'd get XTR. R1 if you're a real WW or just want something different.

Gorg

by Gorg

I've had XTR's (2007 version) and I wasnt toitally happy with it. The pistons were always too far away on one side despite many cleanings and putbacks.
I then switeched to Maguras (Marta, the Marta SL and then Marts SL magnesium) and loved both the feeling and the reliability of the product.
On my last build i then put new Magura MT8. Not only they are super light but also the lever is perfectly designed and i guess they'll be as reliable as the other ones.
Lots of friends use the Formula R1 though. Some have had bax experiences while some are very happy. The good part about these brakes is that you can find them for a great price (at least here in europe).
Have a good ride!
Such precision would be cheap at twice the price.

J.v.S.

by J.v.S.

Thanks a lot guys for all your input!

One more thing to add.

Coming from V-brakes I'm properly scared of getting this shushing noise when you turn the wheels. Is there any brake that is less prone to that kind of noise or rub or is this a matter of installation only?

Rider10

by Rider10

Rotor rub will not be an issue with any of the better disk brakes if they are adjusted properly and you use good quality skewers.

sh33mon

by sh33mon

pmr wrote:Generally the shimano xt/xtr is not the lightest - things like the top end formula brakes are, but people seem to (myself included) love the xt/xtr brakes for their durability/quality/stress free.

+1.

XT/XTR feel awesome. Formula brakes don't come as close feel-wise, but are usually much lighter.

Hayes makes decent brakes as well.

mikeyg

by mikeyg

XT/XTR brakes. I had the old ones for ages. But just got the latest ones, amazing improvement. They have changed the piston design, to a ceramic piston (which might be larger), the levers are lovely and easily adjustable. Bleeding isnt as easier though.

J.v.S.

by J.v.S.

Thanks again for all your input guys. Have talked to my LBS again today and he also assured me that XTR is certainly not a bad choice. I have also decided to go for the XTR (XC) wheelset which will hopefully make a nice (not entirely WW though) package.

I'll keep you updated!

Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

socratease

by socratease

I'll put in a vote for the R1s. I like the larger levers, and how easy it is for your finger to find the brake. They are the most powerful brakes I've ridden, and though they are more off/on than Shimano's, modulation is as good. Reliability of the XTRs is slightly better, but, there have been some bad sets lately.

I haven't had a chance to try the MT8s, and I hear they are phenomenal, as well as the MT6s. Really, it comes down to which lever feel you prefer, so ride a few sets if you can. XTR/XT/LX brakes have compact levers that will remind you more of v-brake setups. If you're concerned with pad clearance, Shimano has more than others, as well as rotors that appear to have less tendency to warp.