completed my chinese carbon 29er

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Gabe

by Gabe

I originally had this thread below awhile back but finally completed the bike a couple weeks ago.
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=99020

heres my completed bike. weighs 21.7#, 1x9. total cost was $1900 usd, all new parts except for the brakes and pedals. bought brakes used and pedals I got from my old bike. original weight goal was 23#, could have achieved that with $1700 but the extra $200 went a long way. allowing me to get a lighter wheelset, a new reba instead of a used one, (2012 reba's are 100g lighter than previous year). also saved weight by spending slightly more for used hydro brakes instead of bb6 brakes.

loving the bike, smoother ride and loads of traction especially in sandy conditions over my previous bike which was a 26" HT.

fr211/ltk023 frame 18"
mrp 1x guide
stans ztr crest stock wheelset
Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25"
reba rl 2012
flyxii / neco 373 headset(free with frame)
fsa os 190 stem
chinese handlebar 620mm
chinese seatpost 350mm
ergon gp1 grips
shimano xt brakes 2010
Ashima AiRotors 160mm
specialized henge sl saddle
sram x9 shifter/derailleur 9 speed 2012
shimano slx FC-M660 9 speed crankset
shimano pd-m540 pedals
sram pg-990 9 speed cassette 11-32

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Am I the only one thinking that the front brake cable looks wrong? Might be dangerous IMHO.

Gabe

by Gabe

the_marsbar wrote:Am I the only one thinking that the front brake cable looks wrong? Might be dangerous IMHO.

if it had more slack it would stick out more. i think its just that one picture it looks wrong. alot of people have seen the bike, havn't had anyone comment about it yet.

pmr

by pmr

My first thoughts were that too... That front brake cable looks dangerously short. But, if it works...

Other than that, awesome build!

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

Well done - very good budget WW build. This is the first chinese mtb I've seen that has a tapered steerer, I'm impressed :thumbup:

Frame finish looks excellant, did you have any hic-ups with headset bearing placement and/or seat-post fitting issues?
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

Gabe

by Gabe

pmr wrote:My first thoughts were that too... That front brake cable looks dangerously short. But, if it works...

Other than that, awesome build!

it works, the cable isn't being pulled on either end, is there something else I should check? thanks! I'm getting new xt levers and I've never replaced a lever before, I'm guessing I'll have to cut the hose, I don't know how much but hopefully its not enough that will make the current hose too short.

Asymptotic wrote:Well done - very good budget WW build. This is the first chinese mtb I've seen that has a tapered steerer, I'm impressed :thumbup:

Frame finish looks excellant, did you have any hic-ups with headset bearing placement and/or seat-post fitting issues?

thanks, I think for the money I did really well. theres a few different 29er frames, I believe most of them have tapered steerer's but don't quote me. the 26er frames don't have tapered.

I had some confusion with the top headset bearing, I thought it should have gone down more into the headtube but figured out it was suppose to stick up about 3mm. the bottom bearing goes up into the headtube completely. I didn't have any issues with the seat post, the clamp goes on snug and the post hasn't moved a hair. I'm using the cheapest clamp universalcycles sells, lol.

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

Very nice build for the money! I'm getting very close to upgrading the frame on my bike to carbon.

digit3

by digit3

Looks good. Hope that it holds up well. The only thing that I would do at this point from an aesthetic point of view would be to remove the Stan's stickers so that the entire bike is stealth!

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Change the front brake hose routing to inside the fork. Otherwise nice build :) I wish they made a SS frame.

principiamacb

by principiamacb

As said above the hose goes the wrong way around the fork. Looks the perfect length to me.

Amd1

by Amd1

Does the included headset enable you to run a tapered steerer, or did you still use a standard 1-1/8"?

Now that you have a few miles on it, hows the ride and bb stiffness?

Gabe

by Gabe

Amd1 wrote:Does the included headset enable you to run a tapered steerer, or did you still use a standard 1-1/8"?

Now that you have a few miles on it, hows the ride and bb stiffness?

I haven't ridden many bikes so I can't really comment on how it compares. I love the ride compared to my old 26" HT. I weigh 125 so I don't think I'm flexing the BB but I do notice sometimes if I'm pedaling in a corner the chain will come off the front ring a little and make a sound. I don't know if this is cause the BB is flexing or what. doesn't happen often. I think it happens more if I start pedaling while coming out of the corner.

I used standard 1-1/8" steerer reba with this: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/product-components/2012-Cane-Creek-40-Series-Conversion-Crown-Race-8946.29.1.html

the included headset is made for a tapered steerer.

kewlguy53403

by kewlguy53403

I see you have shimano slx FC-M660 9 speed crankset listed but that's a triple. What crank did you use for this build? Thanks!

Gabe

by Gabe

kewlguy53403 wrote:I see you have shimano slx FC-M660 9 speed crankset listed but that's a triple. What crank did you use for this build? Thanks!

heh, I havn't been to the site for awhile and just checked this thread to see when I built my bike. anyway, I just removed the smallest and largest rings. frame is still going strong with 2800 miles.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

anquetil

by anquetil

Realy Chinese look! For 1900 usd you can buy decent 2012 model (scott, giant..).