The Netherlands...

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Thanks for all the information guys. I'll start a 6 month language program in February and expect to make the move with my family in August 2012... so about a year from now. My family is very excited. My son, almost as big a bike geek as me, is beside himself.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

The move is coming up quickly... We'll be heading over in late August or early September. I am very excited!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cosmo

by Cosmo

Ted,

If you're planning on racing be sure to get your USAC international license and FPL before leaving. I've never been asked for an FPL in the Netherlands but in Belgie it's nearly every race. If you're currently a USAC license holder an easy update.

There is a good local 'cross series every Sunday in the Utrecht area-info will be at http://www.knwumidden.nl/ as the season gets closer.

Enjoy the NL, very happy to live here now as an expat.

Cosmo
after 2 drinks I'm a loser, after 3 a star

Liggero

by Liggero

I moved to the netherlands 4 years ago. I never thought i would miss something like mountains, but yes i do. It's flat and wind are the hills here. Lot and lots of people cycle here. Learn the language or you are literally *f##k* up and isolated. it's great place to live though, speacially if you move with your family. I´m located in Rotterdam, let me know if you want to meet for a ride, I do mtb and road. for mtb of ciclocross there are lot of big parks with hills and trees... kind of a world cup circuit. good luck in your new life. let me know if i can help you with anything. best regards.
Happy Trails !!!

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Hi Ted,

While learning the language can be helpful, almost all of the Dutch speak English. When you are here, PM me, I can show you my part of the country. :beerchug:
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

kevinkalis

by kevinkalis

Another endorsement for The Netherlands. I moved here just over a month ago and have loved every second so far.
K2

Do you suffer more when you train, or cannot train?

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Thanks guys. I will definitely do my best to stay in touch and (hopefully) meet those of you who are there. We'll be in Den Helder in the North of North Holland. But I imagine meeting up for a good ride will be well worth the trip. I have been in a full time Dutch language course for a little over 2 months. I'll finish at the end of August. I won't be fluent, but I will be functionally literate... at least, that is the plan.

Bikeav8or

by Bikeav8or

Hi Ex Naval, Civvy Airline type here from the UK, I nightstop extensively throughout Europe with the job(airbus), and the happiest people in Europe are the Dutch.

They nearly all speak English :D

My only criticism is it's hard to get a large glass of beer they drink small ones ?

You'll have a great time

Ian

-Robin-

by -Robin-

If you want beer, you shouldn't stop in the Netherlands but cross the border to Belgium. We can offer you beers in every size you can think of :beerchug:

Patrickh

by Patrickh

Hi , :welcome:

I'm from the south of the Netherlands and here ( the south ) there are plenty of options .
Within 30 minutes i can be in Belgium or Germany . And almost every week i ride the roads of the Amstel gold race ( Cauberg , Keuteberg , Ijzerbosweg ).
So if you are ever in my neck of the woods let me know and we can go for a ride .

For now enjoy your time in the Netherlands and of course welcome :welcome: :welcome:

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Thanks again, guys. Hopefully we'll have a Weight Weenie gathering at Worlds in Limburg. There is another thread in the cycle-chat section.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=102541

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Ted, come have a ride some time. :welcome:

Ian, the magic word is "halve liter". :D
Ride it like you stole it

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Well, we're about 6 weeks away from our move and things are starting to come together. My son will be attending school in Bergen, so our focus is in that area to find a nice house to rent. I'll be making the commute each day to Den Helder (hopefully by bike) which is about 33km North.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to meet some of you Dutch Weenies!

Also, we'll be at Worlds in Limburg.

KB

by KB

Ted - when the wind's blowing, 33k's can feel double that.

I've travelled the roads between Bergen and Den Helder many times (to the Heliport) in the 80's. Some bracing seaside places around the area at Bergen aan Zee and Castricum further down the coast.

The Netherlands is a very civilised country, i'm sure you will enjoy your time there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Exar

by Exar

Also, one of the best signposted mountainbike tracks is in Bergen (or Schoorl, to be more exact).
Chains to the right!