Freehub type single speed hub?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

I'm in the planning stages of a new build and was thinking it would be great if I could run a SS rear hub with a partial DA 7900 cassette (remove 2 or 3 cogs).

This would result in a stiffer wheel build with less dish, less redundant gears (this isn't a race bike), simplicity!

The only problem is that I'm having a really hard time finding any 130mm single speed hubs that use a free hub rather than a freewheel. Anything I'm missing? Any thoughts or criticism welcome.

Here's a pic of 8 10spd spaced cogs on a MTB SS hub:
Attachments
rear der cassette.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

Something like a Hope trials freehub might work, but you'd have to shorten the axle from 135mm.

http://www.midwestbiketrials.com/store/ ... cts_id=145

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

427g :shock:

I'd prefer something a bit lighter. Maybe I'll just have to use a MTB hub with shortened axle and disc flange removed, but if there's something available that's meant for road bikes (130mm, non disc, and 24 or 28h) that would be best.

mgordon

by mgordon

Chris King makes a 28h non disc SS hub with a freehub body in both 130mm and 135mm.

That's the only one I can think of. Only trouble is you may have a hard time finding it - it's not exactly a huge demand item so they don't make lots of them. I had to wait a while before I could find a gold one for my SS-CX bike.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Chris King SS hub is what you need. Your LBS should be able to order one for you, or you can go with Aspire Velo Tech, they usually have some in stock.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

check out the american classic one. by the look of things, the extra 5mm is accomplished with the left bearing seal-the 135mm one has a built in spacer. axle is probably just longer as well. has rotor tabs, but theyre easy to access if youre going to cut it off.

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

I'm surprised nobody has told me what a stupid idea this is. :D

Any more input?

aerogurl

by aerogurl

If you can find an old Shimano BMX freehub (Part: FH-MX66) they are easily respaced with a longer M10 axle and some spacers.

Parts Diagram:
http://www.paul-lange.de/fileadmin/paul ... H-MX66.PDF
Attachments
FH-MX66.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jooo

by jooo

I don't think it's stupid 2002maniac. I've tried the truncated cassette and I think it's a great idea.

I think I've seen some rim brake Tune Singlespeeder's listed as 130mm but that could be a typo? Maybe it's changeable by using different end caps?

I think there are also a few Formula made SS cassette hubs but they use a really short spline which makes it much harder to get a decent gear range.