2012 crossmax SLR noise

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

purezerg

by purezerg

I need some help.
my rear wheel creakings under the first 0.25s of braking, and almost always creak upon pedaling. i can always generate the noise when I stand up to pedal. but sometimes when i sit to pedal under semi high torque, the sound is produced again.

1) my wheels have basically seen around 800km by now.
2) have true my wheels twice at 2 different LBS.
3) i tried mounting my old DT4.2D/370 hub wheels. and the sound is gone.( just to confirm it's coming from the mavic.)
4) i can just press my rear brake and use another hand to grab the wheel and just rock the wheel back and front to reproduce the sound
5) i swapped out the disc rotors.

my rear wheels is creaking the hell out of me.
I have tried WD40, finishline ceramic wet and wax lube.

i lubed both ends of the spokes. even the presta valve.

currently running rocket ron 2.1? with tubes.

i'm running out of ideas what to do with it. i do notice that the drive side has got higher tension then the non drive side.

question is the spoke tension still too low? or too high? or am i missing something? should i try swapping to the mavic skewers?( i dont have it at hand to try)
but the 4.2D/370 hubs wheels are not creaking even with the KCNC ti skewers.

details of bike that should be relevant for troubleshooting
titus FTM alum 09 frame, KCNC ti skewers, RT98 rotors, XTR 9 speed.

Gregorio

by Gregorio

Mavic skewers are notorious for creaking. Try switching them first.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

purezerg

by purezerg

but they are currently on kcnc ti skewers.

purezerg

by purezerg

ok, just rocked the wheel after doing these. it's silent now. O.O i wonder how long it will last.

1) clean out and finishline ceramic grease'd the 9mm mavic adapter and the frame's dropout.
2) clean out the hub, aka general mantainence.
3) injected ceramic wet lube into the bearings.
4) clean out the rubber seals on the freehub and greased the area that comes in contact with the hub
5) degreased and minimal wet lube on the paws.
6) changed both centre locks, cassette and rotors.

gonn take it out for a ride later to see howlong it can remain silent.

purezerg

by purezerg

ok. just went for a quick ride.
brake and regular sit and stand pedaling = silent. however when i lock into my PD-M980/spd and do full strength both pull and push, the chattering of the rear wheel comes back. sigh...

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Are you 100% sure the noise is from the wheels? Have you got another wheelset you could try?

DavidR1

by DavidR1

What cassette are you running? XX cassettes are known to creak.

purezerg

by purezerg

i tried mounting with my previous DT wheels, transplanted the XTR CS-M970 11-32 and SM-RT98 rotors to the old DT wheels. totally silent. so yeah. 100% sure. that was the first thing i tried actually. because i couldnt confirm where the creaking/clattering sound was coming from.

I'm gonna try degreasing the paws to bone dry and try tightening up the weather seal cap later.

the mavic crossmax SLR 2012 as a cap on the non drive side that can be adjusted to setup for minimal drag or maximium weather seal.

"6) changed both centre locks, cassette and rotors" what i meant was i changed the centrelock on both the drive AND the non-drive side. i retained the cassette and rotors.

7) applied grease to the exterior of the freehub, (the area on the freehub that comes in contact with the cassette.)

purezerg

by purezerg

the sound is still existent.
i tried something different today. I taped a plastic tire lever onto the seatstay, on the drive side. about 1-1.5mm away from the rim. I tightened the spokes on drive side only. basically shifting the rims 1-1.5mm towards the drive side and the creaking reduce even further. no almost non-existent, unless i crank ultra high torque.

the sound of the spokes on the ND = C-C#, drive side = A#-B (for those musically inclined. haha)

gawd i so hate mavic wheels. DT Swiss is so troublefree.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

purezerg wrote:the sound of the spokes on the ND = C-C#, drive side = A#-B (for those musically inclined. haha)

They're not supposed to be equally tight, are they? Plus, the spokes on the ND side are a bit longer, so maybe that's what's causing a lower pitch?

purezerg

by purezerg

yeah i guess its suppose to be lower pitch on the ND side. i havent given it a ride yet. will do so later. hoping this solved the creaking.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com