Worth switching from alu to carbon bars on full carbon bike?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

parajba

by parajba

Hi,

Hopefully just a quick one.

I need to change the stem and the handlebars on my Cervelo S2 because they don't fit me. Main use is road racing < 3hrs. I ride 404 tubs.
Is it worth switching to a 3T Arx Team (alu) + 3T Ergonova Team (carbon) rather than sticking with aluminium Deda Zero 100 stem and aluminim bar? Will I feel the difference on a carbon bike with carbon wheels? Can the carbon handlebar make any difference in addition to the carbon wheels, tubs and carbon frame to justify the extra £££? How about stiffness and overall feeling of the 3T carbon bars over the alu ones?

The price difference between the two set up would be around £100.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks!

frankq

by frankq

I have 3 main setups I use, Cinelli ram 2, Deda Zero Nero Carbon stem/Deda Presa, and 3T Team Alu Bar and stem. On a Colnago EPS with Lightweight Standards. The only difference I can tell between the setups is I get more road feel(or Buzz) with the aluminum setup than with the full carbon(riding wood feeling) setup, neither is bad to me just different and I feel no difference in stiffness and no difference when switching wheels from carbon tubs to alloy clinchers. Personally if I were to buy again I wouldn't waste my money on the carbon, I really can tell no performance difference just feel. But if you want bling, go to the carbon aisle with credit card handy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dcj9

by dcj9

depending on who you ask, carbon bars either make no difference to killing road buzz or alot of difference. i think if you are light and happen to ride a bike which generates noticeable road buzz then it will probably be the latter. for me, it is definitely worth it.

from lab tests i've seen, alloy bars are normally quite a bit stiffer that their equivalent carbons. i guess in a maxxed out sprint you will feel a difference.

i am using carbon 3T ergosum bars on a pegeretti and alloy 3T ergosum bars on a trek.
in the past i swapped out carbon bars for alloy ones on a lightspeed ti, then had to swap back after a few rides as the vibration was uncomfortable after 2 hours. under 2 hours it wasn't that noticeable

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Depending on your bar tape, your hands and fingers may stay just a wee bit warmer on cold rides with carbon bars vs. alu bars.

DMF

by DMF

Went from PRO Plt alu to Ergonova Team, to me they killed alot of buzz, but in the drops they are clearly not as stiff, in fact a bit noodly... No big difference in the hoods. If you're a strong sprinter I would say that it could be an issue...

ticou

by ticou

I run the Deda 100 set up and would never change; it's the princess and the pea in the 30th mattress to do so.

c50jim

by c50jim

For me, the key to this question is your statement that you'll use the bars on a racing bike. Pro racers often use aluminum because it withstands crashes better than carbon. That's probably a good thing for you to remember too. If bike weights are measured where you are, you might be better with slightly heavier bars to stay above 6.8 kg.

I have bikes with both carbon and aluminum bars and frankly don't notice a big difference except on the pocketbook.

parajba

by parajba

Thanks everybody for the kind replies, much obliged. I'll stick with the Zero100 combo.

The current bike is comfy enough for me, there is no road buzz as such...Just a lively feeling. I guess the Cervelo frame, the gloves, the bar tape, the fit on the bike and the tubs/404s are all doing a good job.

Yes, this is solely a bike used for road races < 3hrs, and the odd crit, so costs and durability are a plus here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com