Oakley's: Jawbone vs. Radar Path

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Jawbone or Radar Path?

Jawbone
18%
Radar Path
78%
Other (please specify)
4%

Total votes: 45

brycerider

by brycerider

Radars are my preference as they fog less and backwards viz is better. Also sweat runs off rather than pools in the frame

Sent from my ME860 using Tapatalk 2
N+1 It Never Stops

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

sjc166: I know the feeling, have done MMA and BJJ for longer than I care to mention most of the time with no health insurance....so a lot of things didn't get fixed right. Needless to say the body has quite a few broken parts. This is actually why I'm cycling/running now, its much easier on the body :mrgreen:

KWalker: I had the Smith PivLock's and wasn't really a fan, the temples are really long on my head and never really felt the fit was right. I'm going to pass on the Smiths based on this.

Getter: Thanks for the running info, that is something I really was curious about since I would rather have 1 pair I could use for multiple sports. I do hate how my current cheap-o sunglasses bounce a bit while running and hit my face.

Looks like the general consensus so far has strongly been for the radar's. I think I might wait and see if Competitive Cyclist ever gets the RadarLock's in since I have a gift card to use up for their site. Real Cyclist and a bunch of other websites have them in stock but sadly CC doesn't. When I called they said they should get a shipment...sometime :noidea: Really helpful :roll:

Thanks everyone! I'll keep this thread going for a bit as I would like to gain as much info as possible before dropping some serious cash on sunglasses.
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

smck

by smck

For style the Jawbones win for me, hands down. They are the bees knees and really turn heads. But they do have ventilation problems. At slow speed(climbing 10-12 mph) when I'm really sweating they have a tendency to fog up on me, and yes they are the vented versions. The Radars are not and they have only fogged in extreme heat at slow speed. Also, the jawbone field of vision is a little bit limited peripherally, so I have to turn my head fully to see behind me rather than moving my eyes. Radars are perfect in a vision sense, so much so they seem to disappear when I wear them for more than an hour. Still not the best looking when you're checking yourself out in the mirror though :D, so its definitely fashion v. function.
"Je pédale, donc je suis" - René Descartes (I think :D)

2011 Canyon Aeroad CF
2012 Canyon Ultimate Al

Roobay

by Roobay

I have both and agree the Radar Path for me is better, less misting, and certainly easier on the face
I also have a range od different accessories to change the colours :thumbup:
i like people... i just can't stand assholes

KvnP

by KvnP

What's the difference between the new Lock & the Path ?
Parlee Z3c
Independent Fabrication SSR // 953
Independent Fabrication Planet X
Knolly Chilcotin

rarekin

by rarekin

KvnP wrote:What's the difference between the new Lock & the Path ?

You mean between the Radar and the Radarlock? Since Path is only one of the lens shapes, Oakley offers with both models.

The differences are the new mechanism for lens changes, slightly less curved earstems and the aesthetics of the new frame. Other than that, they are the same.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Well I went ahead and ordered the RadarLock Path's a few days ago. Should get them today in the mail and I'm super excited! Can't wait to try them out. I will post my impressions and results here later today or tomorrow. I went with the black and white one's by the way.

record

by record

If you have a weight scale, could you weigh them?

The standard Radars weight is 28-29g, I have wondered if the switchlock has added any weight.
A light bike does replace good fitness.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Ok well first ride was... :noidea:

The fit on the ear stems was nice and the lens were crystal clear HOWEVER the nose pieces were a problem. The small nose piece that comes installed resulted in the frame/lenses actually sitting farther away from my face than I would like. I can easily slip a finger all around the edge between the lenses and my face. This is allowing in some wind/air flow where I feel myself blinking a lot.

Compared to my cheap-o $10 piece these actually fit WORSE in the sense that they are sitting too far away. If I take off the nose piece entirely and just let the plastic nub things rest on my nose they sit much closer. This fit is much better in that it doesn't allow a "finger space" all around.

I will give them another shot or two however I'm considering returning them and going with the Jawbone's since those sit closer. I have almost no cheek bones so I guessing that is part of why there is so much space around the lenses....

Anyone have suggestions or comments or ideas here?

todayilearned

by todayilearned

They make the Radar Path in Asian Fit. Maybe that might fix the issues?
- 2012 Specialized Tarmac w/ Force
- 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10-5 w/ Ultegra

HarryS

by HarryS

I got my Radarlock Path glasses yesterday...I rode with them today for 40km and they were perfect. Didnt fog once, sat nicely on my face...by the end of the ride I forgot they were even on. On my scales they weigh 29g.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

todayilearned wrote:They make the Radar Path in Asian Fit. Maybe that might fix the issues?

This has been suggested before by multiple people on another forum however I think they failed to read Oakley's own information regarding who might want the Asian fit.

According to Oakley's site the Asian fit is great if your glasses sit too low, too close to your face, slip down or provide undue head pressure. What I'm experiencing is the exact opposite all those things.

My glasses sit too high, too far from my face and don't feel tight at all...

record

by record

Asian fit won't help as they differ in the wider ear stems and bigger nose piece. (in standard Radars)

More importantly there's no Radarlock in asian fit, at least for now.
A light bike does replace good fitness.

wojchiech

by wojchiech

They need to make Radar in Gigantic Head Fit :lol:

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Alright well it looks like the Jawbone's might actually be a better bet based on how close they sit to your face. The nose pieces seems quite a bit closer to the frame which would bring the lenses nearer to me, exactly what I want. I think it might be worth giving those a shot....any Jawbone and Radar one's want to comment on which sits closer?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com